Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

For me, being part of the next Star Wars generation, I did not think that Vader's revelation was the weakest story-point of the epic. Of course it was different for me since the original trilogy was finished by the time I was old enough to see it and by then set in stone.

But as IR points out, Vader being Luke's dad brings out the themes of redemption and existance of the grey area between good and evil. For me that only elevated the story from an ordinary (but fun) sci-fi movie to something more complex.

No, for me the weakest point beyond a doubt is the second trilogy, with the focus on the prophecy concerning Anakin as bringing balance to the Force (including a virgin birth (!) and really really bad romance) undid a lot of scope of the universe. It brings predetermined, unescapable destiny into a universe that previously made a pivotal scene out of the idea that destinies were not fixed, that one could change their destiny and not be forever good or bad. Young Anakin didn't stand a chance. Talk about a narrow focus.

It was IMO the second trilogy that linked destined strenght in the Force to lineage (specifically the Skywalker line) in a way the previous trilogy had not. While the first trilogy showed sensitivity to the Force could be inherited it also showed it could be stronger in some children than in others. One had the idea that if Vader had had more offspring, it was feasible some might be born without Force sensitivity at all. That idea that Force sensitivity can vary and is not limited to lineage is almost completely missing from the second trilogy. Take for instance the way kid-Anakin could harness the Force without the barest of training. At least in the original trilogy Luke needed training from two jedi masters before he could do anything useful with it.

And unlike the original trilogy, the second goes on to include new, needlessly added plot holes, like when the new trilogy made sure Leia never knew her mother when in the original trilogy Leia does remember her.

I haven't seen the new movie yet bit I've been hearing a lot of good things about it and can't help being cheated. My nephews' generation gets one good movie and the prospect of more, my parents' generation had the original trilogy and me? I had really poorly written prequels and the needless 'updating' of the originals in the way you can't even see the original ones anymore as they were released. How am I not cheated?!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
And unlike the original trilogy, the second goes on to include new, needlessly added plot holes, like when the new trilogy made sure Leia never knew her mother when in the original trilogy Leia does remember her.
Or even better, it created a situation where Darth Vader apparently has no recollection of C3PO who he created as a child OR R2D2 who was his favorite wing man droid when he was a young jedi. why would he do that?! Ive never understood...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
And Earn, apparently Machete Order is the new, coolest way to watch the series!
Huh, they put a tremendous amount of thought in that. There is something to say for that, had I owned the second trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Or even better, it created a situation where Darth Vader apparently has no recollection of C3PO who he created as a child OR R2D2 who was his favorite wing man droid when he was a young jedi. why would he do that?! Ive never understood...
Ah, I had even forgotten that one, that's even more damning as continuity error. One would think that people at the helm of one of the most succesful franchises ever would actually put some effort in consistancy. Just imagine the money they would have made had the second trilogy actually have been good.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Georgesnic

Seems like an awesome place!

Cheers,

I just discovered this space and just exploring what entmoot.tolkientrail.com is about!