Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #41
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Are you aware of the NaNoFiMo (National Novel Finishing Month)? It runs in December, so you can just carry on from where you left. It's not run by the same company as the NaNoWriMo, though, it's quite a small thing, but they've got a discussion board for people to encourage each other. I'm Wise Queen there as well - still dreaming of finishing that novel from last year ...
Hahah, what an idea. I think I'll pass this one though, I nearly always finish my stories, sometimes it just takes a couple of years to do it, but I seldom fail to finish. What I need more is a NaArtFiMo, it's been way too long since I finished a drawing or painted.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #42
katya
Elven Maiden

I won!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #43
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I just went to my buddies page to see whether you had won and you had!

That's great!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #44
katya
Elven Maiden

It's almost that time again! I am dying for November to get here (but not before I enjoy my beloved October), I had so much fun last year. And I think NaNoWriMo was really great for me as a writer- I learned that I can write longer stories, and that writing really just takes a lot of practice and effort. Anway, I thought I would give people sort of a heads up, if you've never head of NaNo before. I only heard about it a few days in advance last year, and I didn't have any time at all to plan my story out. Most of the preparations start in October, I believe.

Is anyone else planning to give it a go this year? If you are, let me know your username so I can add you as a writing buddy.

If you don't know what it is, check the first post in this thread, or http://www.nanowrimo.org/ It's about writing a draft of a novel in one month. It's lots of fun!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #45
Earniel

I think I'll let it pass again this year. I've already finished eight short stories this year, which was enough challenge for me. I only have to finish the last one before November, and then I think I'll leave further writing in 2009 to spurs of the moment.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #46
Varnafindë

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. Although I might well sign up again, to be able to post on the forum and be ready if inspiration strikes. I still haven't finished an old one, which I really should.

But I've also thought about how fun it would be to write a fanfiction crossover story about Barufiniel (from Long Lost Leaves) and her youth in Narnia ...

Old 11-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #47
katya
Elven Maiden

I win! Again! And no one else wanted to do it with me :< But my non-mooter friends did so it was fun. My story was pretty awesome this year. Awesomely bad but sweet none-the-less. I'm so psyched. I'm going to get Chinese food to celebrate.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #48
Earniel

Congratulations, katya.

Well, I wasn't going to write anything this month, but somehow I managed to write over 10 000 words, spread over four short stories this month, RPG's not included. It's not 50 000 (but I don't think I can even reach 50 000 if I include all my already finished stories) but I'm pretty impressed with myself.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #49
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Congrats, katya! I haven't looked at my NaNo from (oh god it's so long ago) 2005 in a long long time. But it was horrible, horrible, horrible.

Of course, now I'm 2/3 of the way through editing a 100,000 word poem I wrote this year, I'm not sure I would have had the time to also do a 50,000 word NaNo...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #50
Earniel

100 000 word poem, that's some epic poetry, count!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #51
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
100 000 word poem, that's some epic poetry, count!
Yes . These are the dangers of becoming an English graduate student - you start to think you're John Milton.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
katya
Elven Maiden

It's that time of the year again! I just realized that next month is November (of course, I had realized it was October, being that October is my favorite month), and I still haven't any idea what to write for this year's NaNo! I will write something though. I wouldn't miss it! If anyone is brave enough to join me, you should probably start planning soon.

Continuing my tradition of picking a new username every year, this year my username is shire_fox, (I'm in a LotR mood) and feel free to add me as a writing buddy.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #53
Varnafindë

This year I won't even try to do it properly. I simply don't have the time to spend a couple of hours every day on that project in November. Not this year.

That might not stop me from signing on again, though
It's great fun just to join the discussion board.

I'll keep my Wise Queen account.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #54
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Just took a peek at this thread-I like the idea! What was your novel about, Elfgirl?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #55
katya
Elven Maiden

I don't think Elfgirl has been around for a while...

You should definitely try NaNo though! I think you would enjoy it. Have you looked around the website?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #56
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Yes I have. I'm inspired by the idea of writing 50k words in a month, and claps to those who do, but I'm horrible at any kind of creative writing. Plus I don't have the time
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #57
katya
Elven Maiden

Aw, it doesn't matter, in writing that much you'll get better! But I guess if you're not really into it you probably won't be able to finish.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #58
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Exactly If I'm going to spend my free time working on something, it will be something I enjoy and am passionate about.
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #59
katya
Elven Maiden

Well, I typed "chapter 1" at midnight and wrote one sentence a couple minutes later. But my mind is too full of Satanic rhetoric to write any more at the moment. Anyway, have to wake up early in the morning. But I'm very excited for this month.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #60
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
This year I won't even try to do it properly. I simply don't have the time to spend a couple of hours every day on that project in November. Not this year.

That might not stop me from signing on again, though
It's great fun just to join the discussion board.

I'll keep my Wise Queen account.
I decided to go for 5,000 words instead of 50,000 words - and I reached my goal!
I even passed 6,000 words!

And the story is something I'll add to from time to time, and possibly post as fan fiction.

Anyone else who reached some official or self-defined goal?