Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

The Problem of Getting People to Read Your Stuff

One thing I've found to be true is that people usually don't want to read what you've written, if it's fiction. We like to get absorbed in creating our stories and think that everyone else will see it the same, and it's not true.

This is true of me as well, since I have about six stories saved on my desktop by friends, which I've been meaning to get to and write critiques for, but haven't even opened. And yet I go around pushing my piddly poems and short stories like I'm Shakespeare or something.

Not trying to be negative or un-encouraging....but I think this a huge stumbling block for writers to get over, whether you're a good writer or just a piddler like me, because it does affect you when only four out of twenty of your friend/family circle bother to read what you've poured effort into, even if it's just to tell you that you ought to try harder or start over.

Any thoughts? Or am I just being a negative stinker?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Well... I read THIS! It had the advantage of being very short, and therefore I knew it would be little inconvenience to read it.

I suppose... we just have to write for our own enjoyment. Then if anyone else happens to enjoy what we write as well, all the better.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's a bit of a two-fold problem, I think.

One, we have to accept as a writer that not everything we put on paper (or on screen) is pure gold. This is a very basic problem and one which new writers immediately can experience. We might think we're the next Tolkien (yeah, yeah, a girl can dream, right?) or Rowling and that everyone who says differently is just a jealous hater, but it is not necessarily so. Writing talent is rare, most succesful writers really had to hone their craft. Needing to practise does not make one a bad writer, but it's not always easy to that we're not at the top yet.

Two is that different people like to read different things. No one of my family reads my writing because it's not their preferred reading fare. (I admit, this stung a bit in the beginning, but I managed to grow out of it.) I like writing short stories with sci-fi or fantasy themes but I also like to read similar genre stories. So if a friend or relative would ask me to beta-read say their horror or autobiographical story, I'd be far less willing, and probably be also less able to provide a decent feedback. We wouldn't match well as beta-readers. If you want to improve as a writer, you've got to find readers with an interest in what you write. That's why writing forums are so popular and numerous.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #4
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Well... I read THIS! It had the advantage of being very short, and therefore I knew it would be little inconvenience to read it.

I suppose... we just have to write for our own enjoyment. Then if anyone else happens to enjoy what we write as well, all the better.
Yeah, that's about it. Been in a collab with my wife for about 2 years now, and enjoy the writing and crafting the tale. The fact others read it on Henneth Annun or a few other Tolkien websites, is only a bonus.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

There is also the difference between reading your story because I enjoy reading it, and reading it and then tell you what I think of it - perhaps write a review, or even beta-read it.

I might read your story and enjoy it and never tell you. Or I might give you a quick comment - "I liked your story!" - but not try to work out the details of why I liked it (it's usually not very easy).

I sometimes write reviews for stories on fanfiction.net (especially for people I've gotten to know a little). I try to at least give examples of things that I liked in the story / chapter - I'm better at finding examples than at making analysis.

But I read a lot without even commenting ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
Yeah, that's about it. Been in a collab with my wife for about 2 years now, and enjoy the writing and crafting the tale. The fact others read it on Henneth Annun or a few other Tolkien websites, is only a bonus.
Yeah, most of my enjoyment of writing also comes from the inventing, building and writing process itself. I know there will always be one person who will read my stories, and that is me.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote