Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #21
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
But what we really need is to for BJ to decide what his definition of non-fiction is!
There is no such thing as non-fiction! Every piece of writing in existence is by humans, who have a tendency to eloborate.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
inked
Elf Lord

BJ that is BS and you know it. For instance, mathematics. For another instance, grammar rules. For instance, absolute truth - which you deny while you assert it absolutely does not exist and that all human communication errs by elaboration.

So, what's new?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
BJ that is BS and you know it. For instance, mathematics. For another instance, grammar rules. For instance, absolute truth - which you deny while you assert it absolutely does not exist and that all human communication errs by elaboration.

So, what's new?
Rule sets that humans have created (math, grammar, etc.), are only absolute because we define them as such. Red is "red" because it is what humans have agreed to call objects that reflect that particular frequency of visible light.

Any subjective human creation, humans writing about the past, or even about their own present, as is done in the bible and every other written book, can only be considered what may have happened, not what did happen. Otherwise know as fiction, or historical fiction, in this case.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #24
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Hey, just wanted to let you all know that this essay won the "Dicken's Essay Contest" at my school! Everyone in 8th-10th grade was required to submit an essay answering the question, "How Does Fiction Glorify God?" The essays were judged by three fiction-writers, and mine won!
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 09-30-2010 at 11:01 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #25
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins View Post
Rule sets that humans have created (math, grammar, etc.), are only absolute because we define them as such. Red is "red" because it is what humans have agreed to call objects that reflect that particular frequency of visible light.
Of course, the only reason that we signify red things with the word "red" is by arbitrary convention. But that doesn't introduce an element of fiction into such significations. It's not the word that matters, but the concept. Sure, when I say "X is red," it boils down to "X reflects such and such light frequencies;" but you know what? X does reflect such and such light frequencies.

Quote:
Any subjective human creation, humans writing about the past, or even about their own present, as is done in the bible and every other written book, can only be considered what may have happened, not what did happen. Otherwise know as fiction, or historical fiction, in this case.
I'll pre-empt inked here, and point out the logical conclusion: namely, the claims you have made are at best what might be true. Of course, I'm fine with filing them under the "not-true."

Also, congrats, Elleth!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-28-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #26
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Hey, just wanted to let you all know that this essay won the "Dicken's Essay Contest" at my school! Everyone in 8th-10th grade (I'm in 8th) was required to submit an essay answering the question, "How Does Fiction Glorify God?" The essays were judged by three fiction-writers, and mine won!
Congratulations- always nice to beat out the older guys as well

Though I think a better topic would have been "Does Fiction Glorify God?"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #27
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Congratulations- always nice to beat out the older guys as well

Though I think a better topic would have been "Does Fiction Glorify God?"
You're right, and those questions are, in fact, the same, or at least they can both be given the same answers. In answering the question, "How does fiction glorify God?," you could write about how it does, or you could write that it does not glorify God in any way. The same applies to the question you proposed.

Although I do see how yours is a little more open and more easily allows a negative answer.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #28
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

For my twopenn'th (and back on topic)...

It does read rather forcefuly, the title should be more like "God is in fiction, fact" or you should add in a line near the start to state that this is the premise you're about to batter into the reader. It is a little heavy-handed in places, but I thin you get this by now. However I think it reads pretty well and personally I go for the many quotes - otherwise, you risk it looking too much like opinion. I do agree with many of the criticisms above, FWIW.

A short-ish essay can't present a really complete argument and dissemination, but I think you've done a pretty good job, there are cristisms but remember you asked for them, but it's not all bad. The bit about poor writing resonates after some of the garbage I've read (in books). To no doubt the great hilarity of BJ, one of the worst books I've ever read is The Shack, and I'm a solid Christian but not a blind one, it's an awful pile of road apples with its eyes firmly on film an cash.

Finally, man's greatest gift? It's free will!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #29
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
Hey, just wanted to let you all know that this essay won the "Dicken's Essay Contest" at my school! Everyone in 8th-10th grade (I'm in 8th) was required to submit an essay answering the question, "How Does Fiction Glorify God?" The essays were judged by three fiction-writers, and mine won!
Congratulations!!

Ultimately, all writing is about entertaining, and intriguing, one another... and it looks as if you've done that!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #30
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Of course, I'm fine with filing them under the "not-true."
Subjective!

True is one of those human exaggerations.