Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 AM   #1
Huan
Elven Warrior

errr....to each their own I guess, but you realize 1965 was what John called his "fat Elvis period."
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:42 AM   #2
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
errr....to each their own I guess, but you realize 1965 was what John called his "fat Elvis period."
I know John said that, but in Help! I find John incredibly sexy. Not fat at all. He was too skinny during his last years. Umm, yeah, I'd better go now...
Old 01-17-2003, 02:27 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm a big fan of his White Album years. There's that really good shot of him on the telephone naked...
Old 01-18-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

New Lennon/Jagger recording discovered

So that's where Lennon went during the "lost weekend"

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

My favorite's always been George. Nice, mysterious, quiet.... My mom thinks hes the most spiritual of them all. I kinda agree... I love "My Sweet Lord".

Last edited by Ornelírë Mistë : 04-04-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:54 AM   #6
Huan
Elven Warrior

Though my knowledge of George is certainly less thorough than my knowledge of John, I don't think My Sweet Lord was particularly Christian. George was utterly spiritual and religious in nature, but his god was more Eastern in nature. The fade-out of My Sweet Lord in fact has him chanting Hare Krishna. Indeed, if I may bring up an unpleasant subject, when he was attacked by that loony who stabbed him, he only responded by chanting Hare Krishna at his attacker. So Christianity don't enter into it.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:48 AM   #7
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

At least his wife had the right idea of hitting the guy over the head.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #8
azalea
Long lost mooter

Here's that Beatles thread I was telling someone about.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 03:30 AM   #9
Huan
Elven Warrior

All right, I just purchased the DVD of the Anthology, with the disc of extra bits on it. The footage of the three (sans John *sniff*) playing stuff from their teen years, etc. was creepily as tense and ego-sensitive as any footage you see from the White Album or Let it Be footage, to my judgment. I mean it was really uncomfortable. Is it just me?
Old 05-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I am sooo jealous, Huan. Since the DVD is about $120 here, it's a bit out of my price range. Is the extra footage good? I am hoping to get A Hard Day's Night on DVD for my birthday soon...
Old 05-05-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Gah it sucks having no money. I'm rather poor myself at the moment, and there's the anthology on DVD, Babylon 5 season two, and Blakes 7 sometime. *sigh*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 08:45 PM   #12
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I have the anthology book but I want the DVD. I love the Beatles!!! If you go into my room the first thing you see is either the gigantic cardboard Gandalf standup nailed to the wall or my shrine to the Beatles. I found out awhile ago that the Beatles were gonna make a Lord of the Rings movie but Tolkien blocked it. What do you all think it would have turned out like???

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:48 PM   #13
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

It probably would've been like a musical.

Anyway, the Beatles are my favourite band, and they have been so for 2 years. I love all their songs, and they sing great individually. In my opinion, they ARE rock and roll. They sung clearly, with no swears or anything like that, and their songs are great and you can relate to them. I do not consider bands like Metallica or Kiss, etc. to be real rock. Sure, they have some good songs, but they act like burly punks. The Beatles were there first, and they were the first good rock band I ever listened to, and their version of rock is what I only see as true rock. Even though two of them are dead, and they are not a whole band anymore and haven't been so for a long time, they never dropped into the dust and their music is still listened to and appreciated today. To me, the Beatles will never die out, because they are the best band ever.
Old 05-06-2003, 07:18 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by durin's bane
In my opinion, they ARE rock and roll. They sung clearly, with no swears or anything like that, and their songs are great and you can relate to them.
*singing* why dont we do it in the road....

Quote:
I do not consider bands like Metallica or Kiss, etc. to be real rock.
well that argument can be made since metallica is metal technically and kiss is well.. a side show with guitars. But hey its all rock and roll to me.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:16 PM   #15
Psycho Kitty
Enting

the beatles were pure pop at first actually. but later changed their sound and changed rock and roll in the process. sargent pepper is just so different from their early stuff.

We all come to terms with it at some time or another.
That beautiful feeling of being left behind.
With the Golden promise touching anothers horizion.
Being left sitting still and waiting for nothing.
Unable to move until it comes.
Psycho Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 AM   #16
Huan
Elven Warrior

Psycho Kitty, sorry, but The Beatles were rock n' roll at first, in the late '50s when they got together. They went kind of pop to "cross over", though I personally consider the poppiest of their early "pop" to be just as rock n' roll as anything. I Want To Hold Your Hand for example anticipates everything Nirvana ever did (saying this as a huge Nirvana fan). Durin's Bane, though The Beatles (particularly John Lennon) are my favorite as well, my argumentative side (do I have another side?) has to take some issues: a) I am totally KISS Army and therefore disagree with your statement about KISS on principle, but no biggie. b) The Beatles weren't there first. Black artists were there first, with the blues, and then rock n' roll. The Beatles weren't even the first white rockers, as Elvis, Buddy Holly, and many others beat them to the punch. These artists were in fact The Beatles' chief influences. and c) No swears? Well, no four-letter scatalogical words to be sure, but strictly speaking, The Beatles did occasionally swear a bit, which to me is a good thing, as rock has always offended someone and I personally feel must always continue to do; if it doesn't offend someone, it doesn't rock. George's Piggies includes the word "damn", not a major swear but it's there. And---wait for it--- The Ballad of John and Yoko repeatedly juxtaposes "Christ" used as a profanity with the lines "The way things are going they're gonna crucify me," which I consider pure pure pure genius. John's use of "Christ" certainly qualifies as a swear, and historically it got him in a heapload of trouble. Okay that's my many many cents.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:38 AM   #17
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yep, and don't forget post-Beatles "Working Class Hero" which contains the f-word.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:07 AM   #18
Huan
Elven Warrior

Ah yes, well, I didn't forget that, but that's John's own solo career, not The Beatles, right?
And what's with the name change, Artist Formerly Known as Beard of Pants?

Last edited by Huan : 05-07-2003 at 02:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:23 AM   #19
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Ah yes, well, I didn't forget that, but that's John's own solo career, not The Beatles, right?
Yep, just thought I'd bulk up your arguments that the beatles members had potty mouths.

Quote:
And what's with the name change, Artist Formerly Known as Beard of Pants?
Listen, do you want to know a secret? Do you promise not to tell? Closer, let me whisper in your ear... I just felt like a change.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 AM   #20
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Does 'tit' in Girl qualify as a swear word? I believe 'christ' in The Ballad of John and Yoko was actually edited out for radio. And A Day in the Life was banned by the BBC. I just remembered my favorite part in A Hard Day's Night: when John is sniffing the coke bottle.