Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith

And another thing. ZION is actually a place from the bible.

Almost evry word, even randomly thought of is from the Bible if you ask me.

I am sure they dint mean to take ne thing outta the Bible.

It's simply not there fault that the word :ZION comes from the Bible.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Interesting. I always saw the film as more of an allegory about throwing off the restraints of christianity tho'..

If we look at some of the more obvious symbolism-

When Morpheous offers the choice of the red pill, or the blue pill. Everyone can see the reflection of the tale of The Serpent offering Adam and Eve the choice to eat from The Tree of Knowledge.

Zion, the last human city, is descibred as being "Deep underground, near the earth's core, where it is still warm".....pretty much where folks used to believe Hell was.

The real world is a desert that has a burning sky, see The Book of Revalations for that one

Agent Smith describes the first Matrix as "A paradise, a perfect world.........it was a disaster, Humans would not accept the program"........that pretty much sums up the whole book of Genesis.

The only way Neo can defeat the Matrix is by refusing to conform to the "natural" laws the Matrix has placed upon him...........to beat the Matrix he has to believe that it has no power over him.

Cypher's choice is more about returning to a life of blissfull ingnorance. He would rather take comfort in the illusion that is the Matrix and deny the truth. He has seen the truth, and he hates it.
LOL, you see how a movie may be interpreted different ways. That's the problem always with symbolism

I'm giving you other symbols:

-Trinity resurrected Neo in the movie like The Holy Trinity resurrected Jesus.

-The whole search of Neo to know if he's the One resembles a theological idea (not admited by the Roman Caholic Church, but by other christians) that Jesus was not conscience of his divinity.

-Zion, as Lalaith mentioned is the Holy City of the Bible, David's City, that is an imagine of the people of Israel: Heaven in the Earth.

But to clarify my point, i'm not saying that Matrix is a treaty of christian doctrine. I've heard another interpretation that says that all those symbols are used to mean something about the incoming of a "new religion" in which cybernetic and technology have much to say. As if the new technologies were to change so radically the concept of human being that all our credos should be changed.

I see that as a possible way of interpreting the movie, and perhaps you could agree to it. But what i find most interesting is that in the end, as i tried to explain in the other post, all this ends reffering to christian morality. Thanks God
Old 04-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
LOL, you see how a movie may be interpreted different ways. That's the problem always with symbolism

-The whole search of Neo to know if he's the One resembles a theological idea (not admited by the Roman Caholic Church, but by other christians) that Jesus was not conscience of his divinity.

-Zion, as Lalaith mentioned is the Holy City of the Bible, David's City, that is an imagine of the people of Israel: Heaven in the Earth.

But to clarify my point, i'm not saying that Matrix is a treaty of christian doctrine. I've heard another interpretation that says that all those symbols are used to mean something about the incoming of a "new religion" in which cybernetic and technology have much to say. As if the new technologies were to change so radically the concept of human being that all our credos should be changed.

I see that as a possible way of interpreting the movie, and perhaps you could agree to it. But what i find most interesting is that in the end, as i tried to explain in the other post, all this ends reffering to christian morality. Thanks God
Yup there is a lot of things you can interpret from the film.........the storyline has borrowed strongly (either conciously or or through coincidence) from an old RPG called Kult, although in Kult there was no "machine".....the "reality" (set in modern day) was an illusion created by God. (Ach, buy the RPG, I can't be giving a whole run-down of it here).

Still a very Sci-Fi flick tho

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
congressmn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fat middle

I see that as a possible way of interpreting the movie, and perhaps you could agree to it. But what i find most interesting is that in the end, as i tried to explain in the other post, all this ends reffering to christian morality. Thanks God [\QUOTE]

it is christianity after all.
but they brought programming into it.
Old 04-05-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I've never watched it in full. My brother loves it and he forced me to watch it once, but it was like 4:30 in the morning and I kept falling asleep. I should really see sometime shouldn't I?

Anyway, I can do 'the matrix!' I bend backwards so I'm about one third of my full hieght to dodge bullets. Whoa!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
congressmn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo

Anyway, I can do 'the matrix!' I bend backwards so I'm about one third of my full hieght to dodge bullets. Whoa!

wow cool, u can do the MATRIX.

i can do that too, though i dont think i can dodge bulletes as yet.

although i ususally get around with pleading, "o plz dont bullet me"
Old 04-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #7
Belle
Enting

For my religious studies class we were told to watch the atrix and then write an essay on how it was based on Plato's allegory of the Cave. I feel the basis for this film really predates Christianity.
So thanks for making me a fighter
Made me learn a little bit faster
Made my skin a little bit thicker
Made me that much smarter
So thanks for making me a fighter
Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

A brilliant essay on religious symbolism/concept in the Matrix

Wake up Neo!

Bah! It won't provide a direct link..........hit the Philosphy Section link on the page

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 04-07-2003 at 05:15 PM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:44 PM   #9
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

woah! that's a page! lots to think there...

"vade retro!" *resisting temptation of reading it all tonight*
Old 04-09-2003, 10:55 AM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i dont think the matrix is as good as everyone thinks. i thought it was good but so many people think it is great but i didnt like in the ship how it was so dark and sometimes u couldnt see anything
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 05:01 PM   #11
TheWhiteRider
Elven Warrior

I didn't understand the matrix the first time I saw it, but every itme after that I understood more. Now after about ten viewings I completely understand it (I am a huge fan of that film).

"Begun, the Clone War has..."
~Yoda

"I can't see, as I'm facing your pitiful lies, don't have the strength, to carry your heavy load of lies."
~H.I.M.
TheWhiteRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 05:16 AM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't like it when Neo flies away in the end of the movie. Horrible.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 AM   #13
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
I don't like it when Neo flies away in the end of the movie. Horrible.
Really? I love the ending. Now that I think about it, I can't remember any ending that I don't like *scuttles off to think about it*
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Really? I love the ending. Now that I think about it, I can't remember any ending that I don't like *scuttles off to think about it*
I mean Neo and Trinity are just that cute, but it is really not realistic when he flies away.
Do you mean that you don't remember any movie, where you don't like the ending.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:19 PM   #15
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I LIKE MATRIX ALMOST AS MUCH AS TOLKIEN ITS A CLOSE SECOND
Trinity rocks. I even like the name oooh

I like the ending becuase it signifies a beginning Get that?
And it's not to lovey type either

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:40 AM   #16
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
I mean Neo and Trinity are just that cute, but it is really not realistic when he flies away.
Do you mean that you don't remember any movie, where you don't like the ending.
It is realistic! *lalala*

I was referring to any ending, book or movie. I still haven't thought of any I don't like . My favourite endings tend to be sad or mysterious, like that of LotR, the Bitterbynde Trilogy or His Dark Materials. A bad ending is at the back of my mind now, but I can't remember which movie it belonged to. Sorry.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:47 AM   #17
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

About endings: It's strange, but everytime I read the ending of LotR I start crying. It is sooo sad.
Normally I'm not satisfied fied non-happy endings but lately I haven't cared that much anymore.

Yeah, I know, the whole movie is really realistic.
Old 04-12-2003, 05:52 AM   #18
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Yes. The LotR ending has a tendecy to make people cry. I almost did. I know someone who cries when they read the last few lines...
Old 04-12-2003, 06:38 AM   #19
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Yes. The LotR ending has a tendecy to make people cry. I almost did. I know someone who cries when they read the last few lines...
I don't know why it makes me cry. It's strange. Uh, tha last few lines.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #20
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Just using this for fun, Its not a spoiler. Which one is next? Matrix Reloaded or Revoloution?

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote