Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I thought that canon only applied to what was actually shown in the movies.
Well, that's true, from a certain point of view.

There are actually different levels of canon in the Star Wars 'verse. It's true that this information, which can be found in the lead in book to Ep. III, Labyrinth of Evil, is of a lower level of canon than the films, but it's still canon. It's just subject to the higher levels of canon, like the films. But since it doesn't contradict anything in George Lucas' films, it's canon.

Apparently, according to Wookiepedia, George Lucas originally intended that Sifo-Dyas was simply a false identity for Sidious. But since Lucas obviously didn't use this idea for the film, as Masters on the Council did know of Sifo-Dyas and he was a real Jedi, the back story laid out in Labyrinth of Evil seems to make the most sense.

The idea that Gui-Gon could have ordered it is not bad, but I do not think Gui-Gon was that radical, personally, nor so deceptive as to do something like that under a false name. He would have at least owned up to his own actions by using his own name, I think.

If you don't like the "canon" version of who Sifo-Dyas is, I would sympathize. There are things written by people other than Lucas that would technically be canon that I think is just plain dumb and refuse to see as canon. For instance, the idea of there being creatures that are separate or "torn" from the Force and therefor aren't affected by it. That's just silly.

Check out this post at Wookiepedia on what is Canon, if you're interested.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.

Last edited by D.Sullivan : 06-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote