Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Refugees going north

The refugees coming north at the start of LOTR... going up to the Shire borders and also to Bree. Where do you think they came from?

It hardly seems like Sauron would have disturbed much of anything further from Mordor than Rohan? But if these folks were from east of Rohan, it's hard to imagine them traveling so far, or passing through Rohan. Besides... Gondor is east of Rohan!

Maybe they were from the Enedwaith area, west of Dunland? Was Saruman causing enough disruption in the area already that people who might have lived there felt uncomfortable enough to move?

There doesn't seem to be much late 3rd Age civilization north of Bree anyway. Where do you think these people ended up?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I always assumed that they'd been stirred up by Saruman, using the newly-emboldened Dunlendings and his new Uruk-Hai.

As to who they were- a mix of the original inhabitants, remnants of the Men of Arnor, people of Rohan who had moved farther away from the lands actually controlled by Meduseld, refugees from Gondor fleeing various troubles (esp. raids by the Corsairs?)

Maybe from the Isen River valley?

Still, you'd think once crossing the Greyflood they'd be far enough away- why keep going north?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Findegil
Elven Warrior

I think they were Dunelandings. Confirmed is this by the comapnie of the spy from Saruman that was captured by the witch-king and send to Bree.

Why going on after crossing Greyflood? Maybe they search for more inhabited lands, for a comunity that would be willing to take them up. That is at least what is feared in Bree.

Respectfuly
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't recall whether the refugees came only from the south to the Shire. But I would suspect some of the people living between Mirkwood and the Misty Mountains may have found those lands increasingly hostile during those days. The old Road would have taken them to Bree. These people aren't mentioned by name or appear to have a named lord, but I recall seeing here and there in Tolkien's work mentions of people (I assume Men) living at the edges of Mirkwood.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Yup, I completely concur. What Earniel said. Up there. Above this entry. I've been doing a re-read of LotR lately, this August, because why not? and the more I read this brilliantly scribed, rich and vibrant tome, the deeper I sink into its fantastical, magical and oh, so real, delicious world.

I think you put the hammer to the nail on this one, tho, Earniel-bella. I agree, about the refugees.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Reminds me that I ought to do a re-read myself in the near future. Because I didn't check yet whether the refugees were only coming from the south below the Shire. To me it seems logical that people from near Mirkwood would have fled too around that time, but I don't know whether the text will back me up on that.

But that Dunlanders or people of that region were also moving north seems certain.