Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I've always read that as Bilbo passes his own hands over his own eyes, and for myself have no doubt that's how it reads, and is, and was and will ever be

I find it odd no one has mentioned the context of this brief event, and where they were at the time... If in the Hall of Fire mortal hobbits can be transported by song to half awake dreams and visions through time and space and over sundered seas, it hardly seems odd for both Frodo and Bilbo, both ring bearers, to have this moment almost of vision, or shared understanding / enlightenment... ?

As to the Cinematic take on the scene, even if they reversed it, i thought it worked very well, and this is where some visual creativity is welcomed and the reversed POV for me just wasn't an issue and in fact it added to the Film- and that's rare enough.

Ive always thought the more interesting thing was that 'shadow'... and its ephereal qualities, and once passed no one else ever noticed anything, and music and light was about them - ie it was a shared moment of vision and understanding shared by Bilbo and frodo alone.... except perhaps for that ordained "mysterious shadow"?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote