Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-22-2000, 10:06 PM   #1
IronParrot

U-571 (2000)

Originally posted by me at <a href=http://pub4.ezboard.com/bnicktheshadow>my messageboard</a>:
Quote:
PROS

This film is an edge-of-your-seat, thrilling experience throughout. It is constantly suspenseful and absolutely unpredictable (with the exception of one or two moments). When the crew is danger of being blown into bits, you feel for them. While this film is never by definition "scary", it is certainly "thrilling".

The production values are terrific. Every detail is covered right from the beginning. Decor, costumes, and even a very '40s-esque look at the beginning. The effects are blended in very well. They aren't the most spectacular thing in the world, but the important thing is that none of them look fake. And most of all, there's this film's flagship contribution to the movie industry - some of the most brilliant sound FX I have heard, ever. You hear what they (the characters) hear. You can feel the depth charges being detonated closer and closer, awaiting the inevitable moment when the sub gets hit. You literally wait for the theatre to explode, as the blasts incrementally increase in volume and as such, artificial proximity.

The plot, based around real missions involving the capture of components essential to cracking the Enigma during the Second World War (all credited at the end of the film), is wonderfully constructed. The characters, although bordering on stereotypical, show a great deal of maturity and change throughout the story. The script is not brilliant or particularly witty, but it acknowledges itself as a very technical screenplay from the start, and does not deviate from that mould. The style stays consistent - there aren't any moments that are overly comical or dramatic that stick out like a sore thumb, as is the case with many other films of this sort.

CONS

The dialogue involves a few clichéd lines that are pretty easy to pick out. There are also one or two rather familiar "fixed it in the nick of time" situations, if you get my meaning. Also, if you're the type of person who wants a film with heart, this is probably not the place to look for it - this film's meaning is along the lines of courage and bravery, not emotion. This is not to say the film does not have its share of emotional moments; it is to say that the thematic inclination is towards a different ilk.

OVERALL

This film is anything but underwater. It is great entertainment, and at the same time does not sacrifice quality for marketability. I certainly enjoyed it, and thinking about it in detail did not spoil my fun. Additionally, if you at all plan to see this film, don't wait for the video unless you have a world-class sound system at home.
Old 04-30-2000, 12:53 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: U-571 (2000)

I saw it today. It was pretty good. It was kind of confusing to keep track of, and about half the characters died very early into the movie.
Old 04-30-2000, 04:29 AM   #3
IronParrot

Re: U-571 (2000)

I'd call that more than half...
Old 05-06-2000, 08:04 AM   #4
Hernalt

I anticipated the turning point which was included as the shocking youre-up-the-creek motif. I anticipated it because events were going so damn peachy that Something had to break loose. And it was for this effortless conveyance from point A to point B, that made me realize something had to happen, that makes me give this .5 less Strawberries than I would have.

I was also pleasantly annoyed and unsatisfied with the totally unrealistic pounding the sub took in the hands of the good guys, when a fifth of the same knocked it out in the hands of the bag guys. It made me nearly scream at the screen with a huge grin, You Turkeys!!

And the serrendipity of the torpedoe's aim at the final opponent, and the size of the fireball, had me laughing in the isle.

All in all, 3.5 Strawberries out of 5.
Old 05-06-2000, 03:21 PM   #5
anduin

Re: ...

Hernalt.....why strawberries?
Old 05-06-2000, 05:28 PM   #6
IronParrot

On the other hand, why not?
Old 05-20-2000, 06:57 PM   #7
HOBBIT

i saw it when Ben did.
Old 07-13-2000, 01:08 AM   #8
Jonce

I thought it was a pile of American egotistic, megalomaniac bull...
The Americans didn't capture the enigma decoding machine, the British did, America hadn't even joined the war yet.

And in Saving Private Ryan how many Canadians, French or British soldiers did we see land on the beach ? None !

Hollywood would have us belive that the US single handedly defeated Germany.

Nothing against Americans you did invent the Hamburger and Star Wars, just I hate the way Hollywood twist facts in Historical films to suit the American audiance.

Joncehttp://www.collectstarwars.com/ubb/icons/icon30.gif
Old 07-13-2000, 01:52 AM   #9
RKittle

Saving Private Ryan was about one small American unit. Why would they show Canadians, British, whatever? They certainly weren't interested in Private Ryan.

And in defense of U-571 (which was a pretty good movie), in a statement at the end of the movie it did list the British crews that originally retrieved the Enigma.

And you are right that America did not single-handedly defeat Germany in WW-II. It was American money that tipped the scales.
Old 07-13-2000, 02:09 AM   #10
IronParrot

Of course they wouldn't show Canadian or British units in Saving Private Ryan. The Canadians and British had nothing to do with Omaha Beach. They took three of the four other beaches in the Normandy invasion.
Old 07-13-2000, 12:32 PM   #11
Jonce

Fair point on Saving Private Ryan, I should watch the movie again !
As for RKittles point I was just meaning at the start where they landed on the beach.

Jonce
Old 07-13-2000, 06:27 PM   #12
etherealunicorn

Also, this is somewhat off the point: I have actually heard that the hamburger was invented by the Romans and was a popular item in Pompeii
Old 07-13-2000, 08:27 PM   #13
Jonce

LOL

What about the hotdog then, or weiner/chilliedog ,what ever you call it?? Yankies invented that didn't you ??

Jonce
Old 07-14-2000, 12:02 AM   #14
etherealunicorn

I'm not really sure we can claim the hotdog either, if you simply consider it as a type of sausage (I don't know if it is or not, though it seems like it should be). And as for putting this alleged piece of sausage on a piece of bread, surely someone in the past would have tried it at some point or another.

Who knows? I know that a great many of the ideas that we consider to be modern and original have actually occurred to someone else in the past.
Old 07-15-2000, 05:40 AM   #15
anduin

LOL, my mom told me when I was little that my grandfather invented the corndog.