Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
Psycho Kitty
Enting

Quote:
I personally consider the poppiest of their early "pop" to be just as rock n' roll as anything. I Want To Hold Your Hand for example anticipates everything Nirvana ever did
wait you think the beatles were like Nirvana? please do elaborate.

We all come to terms with it at some time or another.
That beautiful feeling of being left behind.
With the Golden promise touching anothers horizion.
Being left sitting still and waiting for nothing.
Unable to move until it comes.
Psycho Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:22 PM   #2
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I am 48 and I distinctly recall my Dad turning the radio off angrily when I Wanna Hold Your Hand came on. He said something racist, actually, which I won't repeat. It was considered rock and roll, even though it topped the pop charts. Some people hated them and held that the Stones were better. I had no interest in the Stones and wanted to be George Harrision when I grew up.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

My dad was a really big fan of the Beatles...

Now, he's the one who read the Hobbit and the LotR to me, the one that introduced me to Monty Python, the one who made me listen to the "Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy" (I later read the books), and the one who let me play computer-games. As you may have guessed from my little rant, I became a big fan of the Beatles too...

Last edited by Falagar : 05-07-2003 at 01:41 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Your dad sounds quite cool. My dad introduced me to the Beatles too actually. playing old 45's on a little turn table when i was like 6.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
Huan
Elven Warrior

Cassiopeia, I never realized that joke about the coke bottle! That's hilarious. John Lennon is god. And I forgot about "tit" in Girl. I think that does count as a swear. And yes, the nefarious swear phrase "turn you on" in A Day in the Life. Ooo evil...
Psycho Kitty, the extent of the influence of The Beatles on Kurt Cobain is well attested in many sources, often from Cobain's own mouth. In the case of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I was referring to its speed and heaviness, particularly in the intro, which was practically unprecedented in 1963. The Beatles were also the first band ever to intentionally use feedback on a recording, on I Feel Fine, so Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain owe everything to John Lennon.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

My parents were/ are both big Beatles fans. My mom made me memorize their names by pointing to each one on the inside of the Sgt. Pepper's album.
I would argue that at that time Rock 'n' roll was pop. Now pop (boo hoo) is mainly, excuse the four letter word, ****. There was a time when you heard lots of rock n roll of all flavors on the pop radio stations. Now there are hardly any artists putting out true rock.

A comparison:
The top five hits one week in July '55 (beginning of "rock era")
Rock around the Clock -- Bill Haley and the Comets
Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White -- Perez Prado
Blossom Fell/ If I May -- Nat King Cole
Unchained Melody -- Les Baxter
Learnin' the Blues -- Frank Sinatra

From July '60 (still very tame)
Alley Oop -- Hollywood Argyles
I'm Sorry -- Brenda Lee
Everybody's Somebody's Fool -- Connie Francis
Because They're Young -- Duane Eddy
Mule Skinner Blues -- Fendermen

May '65 (hello, what's this?)
Ticket to Ride -- Beatles
Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter -- Herman's Hermits
Count Me In -- Gary Lewis and the Playboys
Help Me Rhonda -- Beach Boys
I'll Never Find Another You -- Seekers

June '70 (that's all, folks. )
The Long and Winding Road/ For You Blue -- Beatles (their final #1 hit)
Which Way You Goin' Billy? -- Poppy Family
Everything Is Beautiful -- Ray Stevens
Get Ready -- Rare Earth
Love on a Two Way Street -- Moments

June '75
Sister Golden Hair -- America (I was going to do July, when Wings' Listen to What the Man Said was #1, but I had to include this one! )
Love Will Keep Us Together -- Captain and Tenille
When Will I Be Loved -- Linda Ronstadt
Bad Time -- Grand Funk
Old Days -- Chicago

June '80
Coming Up -- Paul McCartney
Funkytown -- Lipps, Inc.
The Rose -- Bette Midler
It's Still Rock and Roll to Me -- Billy Joel
Against the Wind -- Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

(Okay, here's when it started to change)
June '85
Heaven -- Bryan Adams
Sussudio -- Phil Collins
Everybody Wants to Rule the World -- Tears for Fears
Raspberry Beret -- Prince
A View to a Kill -- Duran Duran

Now it gets REALLY sad.
June '90
It Must Have Been Love -- Roxette
Hold On -- Wilson Phillips
Poison -- Bell Biv DeVoe
Step by Step -- New Kids on the Block
Vogue -- Madonna

And by August of '95 rock was non-existant in any form in the top 5 of the pop chart
Kiss from a Rose -- Seal
Waterfalls -- TLC
Boombastic/ In the Summertime -- Shaggy
Colors of the Wind -- Vanessa Williams
I can Love You Like That -- All-4-One

I don't have anything more recent.
I'm not saying I don't like anything but rock, far from it. But it's just a shame it became so splintered and there really isn't much in the way of "pure" rock music coming out. It's rap, r&b, alternative, etc. That's why Santana's Smooth was so huge -- people are hungry for any crumb of rock that is thrown out.

Okay I'll end my rant now.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I'm not saying I don't like anything but rock, far from it. But it's just a shame it became so splintered and there really isn't much in the way of "pure" rock music coming out. It's rap, r&b, alternative, etc. That's why Santana's Smooth was so huge -- people are hungry for any crumb of rock that is thrown out.

Okay I'll end my rant now.
Here! Here! *whistling and clapping at azalea's post*

If you ask me rock really doesnt exist anymore. popular was shortened to pop and it became a brand of music all its own which you accurately describe as total ****. grunge was the most recent explosion of "popular" rock music i think. what we call "alternative" now is way to watered down to be a popular movement. sadly enough....

*singing* just take those old records off the shelf. Ill sit and listen to em by myself....

Quote:
Now it gets REALLY sad.
June '90
It Must Have Been Love -- Roxette
Hold On -- Wilson Phillips
Poison -- Bell Biv DeVoe
Step by Step -- New Kids on the Block
Vogue -- Madonna
*regurgitating violently*

Old 05-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
the extent of the influence of The Beatles on Kurt Cobain is well attested in many sources, often from Cobain's own mouth. In the case of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, I was referring to its speed and heaviness, particularly in the intro, which was practically unprecedented in 1963. The Beatles were also the first band ever to intentionally use feedback on a recording, on I Feel Fine, so Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain owe everything to John Lennon.

owe everything huh. lets not go too far now. i definitely see the parallels you mention though in that the beatles completely exploded onto the popular music scene with a sound and a feeling not quite like anything before them. this was also true for nirvana. and yes kobain definitely was influenced by lennon's writing style as he had said on several occasions. but i think this was more in an artistic vision sense and that you cant really say that nirvana was a direct decendent on the tree of music from the beatles. the parallel works on a broader scale but they are vastly different in other respects. not to mention the beatles went through several morphs in the style of their music that they played. they altered their artistic approach over their career and were always succesful. nirvana came strong from the start playing kobains unique mixture of raw punk and simple power chord rock and introspective angst driven maniacal echolaliac (if thats a proper word) lyric writing. There had been punk bands before Nirvana of course. and "speedy heavy"bands. so i dont know that that particular sound came only and directly from the beatles. in fact id dare say there are many and much better sources for it. but your observation is a good one though.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 05-07-2003 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
Huan
Elven Warrior

I can see where you're coming from, Insidious, but obviously my feelings on this subject are quite biased, since, as I mentioned, I believe John Lennon is god .
Old 05-07-2003, 07:12 PM   #10
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, Insidious, but obviously my feelings on this subject are quite biased, since, as I mentioned, I believe John Lennon is god .
and I think he would find that quite ironic *laugh*

*humming Imagine*

Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
That's silly! Everyone knows E.C. is God!
Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #12
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Yay, I'm getting A Hard Day's Night on DVD for my birthday! (Mum just got home from shopping and I sneaked a look in the bag).
I don't listen to today's music. I listen to a radio station that plays music from the sixties, seventies and eighties. The last CD single I brought was A Little Less Conversation by Elvis when it was re-released last year. The original version (which was on the CD) is the best.
I really liked Smooth by Santana, and the occasional (very ocassional) song of today.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:34 AM   #13
Huan
Elven Warrior

Now Cassiopeia, you really shouldn't go spoiling your birthday surprises like that. (Hate to put a damper on things, but by the way, I kind of think the second disc extras were a bit on the boring side: but the movie's as great as ever. Widescreen and everything.) I don't listen to much of today's music either. Most of those bands' names don't even sound like bands anyway. Nickleback? Good Charlotte? Three Doors Down? Whatever. What they call rock n' roll today is devoid of any soul or personality. When bands like Barenaked Ladies and Smash Mouth first started selling their songs to commercials while they were actually still on the charts it bothered me in principle, until I realized that the larger principle is the problem that those songs sounded like car commercials to begin with. sigh. This may all seem off-topic, but it just underscores the greatness of rock when it actually existed, and The Beatles continue to rule.
Insidious, I know you were kind of joking but you're absolutely right: John chafed at the hero-worship that surrounded him and the other Fabs. Oh well, guilty as charged. John Lennon is god!!!
Elfhelm, does E.C. mean Eric Clapton? ummm, no but he played double-lead guitar on the White Album with god .
Old 09-23-2003, 10:25 PM   #14
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So I'm looking forward to hearing "The Long and Winding Road "without the Spector production! I might like it !

Speaking of Phil Spector...I can't believe they are charging him with murder! Actually, I guess I can believe it! Everyone says he's nuerotic as all get out!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:38 PM   #15
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I know! It's so exciting! (the Let it Be album that is...) I can't stand that whole Wall of Sound! (As I think I've mentioned before....)

Glad to see that Paul Dickhead is also not trying to change the song credits to McCartney-Lennon. What a twit.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 08:38 PM   #16
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Oh, yes I heard about this! The Long and Winding Road will so much better. I haven't got a copy of the Let It Be album, but I may go buy the 'proper' version now.

I thought Phil Spector was not charged with the murder. Maybe murdering the Let It Be album...

I'm glad to see Paul has gotten some sense knocked into him. Can you believe it's been almost a year since he said he would play a concert here then cancelled it, and I'm still upset about it? The only way I'll get over it is if he plays here. I doubt that is ever going to happen.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:51 AM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Oh, yes I heard about this! The Long and Winding Road will so much better. I haven't got a copy of the Let It Be album, but I may go buy the 'proper' version now.

I thought Phil Spector was not charged with the murder. Maybe murdering the Let It Be album...

I guess Ringo is very happy that the "wall of sound" will be thrown out also!

I heard they are going to go ahead and charge him. After reveiwing everything, they have decided they have a very solid case against him and they are going to open the records up for the public. The statements I heard on the radio were very strong in their belief that thI guess Ringo is very happy that the "wall of sound" will be thrown out also! The evidence speaks for itself! He is out on bil now, I wonder if he'll try to flee!
Old 09-29-2003, 09:31 PM   #18
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I'm real happy about this too. I'll have to buy the cd. Does anyone know when exactly it'll be released? Or is it already out? *clueless*

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #19
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

It was 40 years ago today...

Well Feb. 7th, 1964. The Beatles hit the American shores. 40 years??!!

Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 PM   #20
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Tomorrow Never Knows

Turn off your mind relax and float down-stream,
It is not dying, it is not dying,
Lay down all thought surrender to the void,
It is shining, it is shining.
That you may see the meaning of within,
It is speaking, it is speaking,