Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 02:37 PM   #81
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
Thanks. Since Radagast has left the building, I'll go ahead and post. (Hope you don't mind R the B!) Staying in the same family tree:

Which Chieftain of the Northern Dunedain was killed by wolves?

(gotta hate the thought of THAT! whether they were actually over-sized Timber Wolves or the giant Hyena-variety wargs from PJ's movie!)

Aragorn I was most certainly slain by wolves. It is also said that Arathorn I was slain by Orcs or wolves, but it's not specific
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 02:53 PM   #82
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

You made me check about Arathorn I... didn't find it yet in the appendix - I'll look in PoME when I get home (if'n I remembers!). It seems I vaguely recall JRRT either having some indecision about his exact fate - or leaving unclear / contradictory notes - recounted in PoME... or is there a place I'm missing in the appendices?

Anyway - YES, Aragorn I was the one I was thinking of... Strider's namesake! Your go Dunedain!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #83
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
You made me check about Arathorn I... didn't find it yet in the appendix - I'll look in PoME when I get home (if'n I remembers!). It seems I vaguely recall JRRT either having some indecision about his exact fate - or leaving unclear / contradictory notes - recounted in PoME... or is there a place I'm missing in the appendices?

Anyway - YES, Aragorn I was the one I was thinking of... Strider's namesake! Your go Dunedain!
Actually the Arathorn info wasn't in the appendices I don't think, it's in one of the other works, I need to look it up...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #84
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok here goes:

What is the name that Merry records as the word the King of Rohan used for the Hobbits and what is it's meaning?

--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 03:09 PM   #85
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Valandil, here is some info I just pulled on Arathorn I from the encyclopedia of arda:

Quote:
Aragorn I (Chieftain for 64 years to III 2848)
It is known that Arathorn met an untimely end, though no records remain of his fate. Perhaps he was slain by Orcs or wolves, though the worst of the fighting with the Orcs of the Mountains had been over for a century before his death.

I am still not sure where I read it though

--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 03:12 PM   #86
Valandil

Strider

hoblyta = 'hole dweller'

right?
Old 11-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #87
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
hoblyta = 'hole dweller'

right?
half of it is correct

--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 03:18 PM   #88
Valandil

Strider

Oh, wait... "holbytla"

went a little dyslexic!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:19 PM   #89
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Oh, wait... "holbytla"

went a little dyslexic!

lol nope keep trying

--Linaewen
Old 11-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #90
Valandil

Strider

Hmmm ...

I'll defer to someone else - and only look it up later if you stump us all.

Keith K... got any idea?
Old 11-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #91
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Are you sure it's from mthe appendixes?
Old 11-12-2003, 05:36 PM   #92
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

kûd-dûkan
Old 11-12-2003, 06:06 PM   #93
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
kûd-dûkan
Yup that's it

Yes Radagast, it's on the second to last page of Appendix F under "Hobbits":

Quote:
Hobbit is an invention. In the Westron the word used, when this people was referred to at all, was banakil 'halfling'. But at this date the folk of the Shire and of Bree used the word kuduk, which was not found elsewhere. Meriadoc, however, actually records that the King of Rohan used the word kûd-dûkan 'hole-dweller'. Since, as has been noted, the Hobbits had once spoken a language closely related to that of the Rohirrim, it seems likely that kuduk was a worn-down form of kûd-dûkan.

--Linaewen
Old 11-13-2003, 11:13 AM   #94
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

what's another name for the Snowmen of Forochel?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:13 PM   #95
Keith K
Elf Lord

I made a riddle about that not too long ago.... the answer is the Lossath!
Old 11-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #96
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

very good...

love to hear the riddle... how bout this:

the strangest snowman you ever will meet,
i run on the ice with bones on my feet

Old 11-13-2003, 03:04 PM   #97
Keith K
Elf Lord

Here's the riddle since you asked:

A remnant of an ancient race
We are said to be.
Folk call us strange and befriend us not,
Yet aid we give to thee.
For in our far-off land that lies
beyond the mighty bay,
We feed and shelter those poor souls
Whose paths have gone astray.
We run with bones upon our feet,
On lands with little sod.
Our wheel-less carts go to and fro
Where strangers seldom trod.

oops, I almost forgot to leave a new question...
What was Gimli's war cry, and what did it mean?

Last edited by Keith K : 11-13-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:17 PM   #98
Valandil

Strider

Is it, "Khazad Aminu! Baruck Khazad!"

Meaning something like,"The axes of the dwarves are upon you!" ??

brownjenkins - you should take up the riddling thread too! Lots-o-fun! And Keith K is our "Resident Riddler"!
Old 11-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #99
Keith K
Elf Lord

Right, your go Valandil. As to the riddling thread, I haven't composed the next riddle yet, but I will take time out for one very soon.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #100
Valandil

Strider

Keith - I need to contribute some more riddles myself. No need for you to feel the burden of trying to be a one-man show!

My question: (see first if anyone can get it without looking it up)

I am a King of Arthedain. My grandfather the King, and my father the King, were each killed in battle with Rhudaur and Angmar. On succeeding to the throne at a young age, I fought off our enemies with the help of our elven allies. Then I ruled in relative peace for 180 years.

Who am I?
Closed Thread