Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #81
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Does it have anything to do with the metal inscription on the door at Moria?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #82
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
Does it have anything to do with the metal inscription on the door at Moria?
Yes it does
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:02 PM   #83
Renille

OOH! Then I think I know what I'm doing! Starmoon is also called ithildin, and is only visible in starlight and moonlight. The company first meets this metal when they read the inscription which reflects the moon. It reads "The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak,friend, and enter." And underneath "small and faint" it is written:"I, Narvi, made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs."

Am I right?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #84
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
OOH! Then I think I know what I'm doing! Starmoon is also called ithildin, and is only visible in starlight and moonlight. The company first meets this metal when they read the inscription which reflects the moon. It reads "The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak,friend, and enter." And underneath "small and faint" it is written:"I, Narvi, made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs."

Am I right?
Yes you are right, and it is also made from Mithril...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-19-2003, 05:19 PM   #85
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
By the way, though, Gandalf encountered it earlier. Think back to the Hobbit, and the Quest of the Mountain: Elrond uncovers secret writing in "moon-letters" on Thror's Map.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:47 PM   #86
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
By the way, though, Gandalf encountered it earlier. Think back to the Hobbit, and the Quest of the Mountain: Elrond uncovers secret writing in "moon-letters" on Thror's Map.
By the way, this is "Fellowship of the Ring" trivia, and the question was, "When did the Fellowship come across it?"

--Linaewen
Old 01-20-2003, 04:32 PM   #87
Renille

Yay! And I was tempted to mention the Hobbit meeting with the moon-letters. But then I remembered that it WAS only Fellowship Trivia...

My question- What was the thing that Tom Bombadil chose from the wight's lair and why was it special?
Old 01-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #88
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

A jewel in the form of a butterfly I believe. It was a gift for Goldberry.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #89
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

Quote:
He chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many-shaded like flax-flowers or the wings of blue butterflies. He looked long at it, as if stirred by some memory, shaking his head, and saying at last: 'Here is a pretty toy for Tom and for his lady! Fair was she who long ago wore this on her shoulder. Goldberry shall wear it now, and we will not forget her!'
I believe you're right, Eärniel.

Fear Complacency!
Old 01-20-2003, 08:43 PM   #90
Arcala
Elven Warrior

why does everyone get the answers before i do?
Arcala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #91
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
The same with me!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:10 PM   #92
Renille

Earniel is...wr...excuse me...RIGHT! Good job! Now ask a question and I promise not to answer it!
Old 01-21-2003, 07:40 AM   #93
Earniel

*falls from chair* I'm right?

I don't know whether it has been asked before (I hope not) but here goes:

What was Arwen wearing on the feast in Rivendell after Frodo recovered from his wound?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #94
barrelrider110

She was dressed in grey with a belt of leaves in silver, and a white lace crown also silver with gems.

Fear Complacency!
Old 01-21-2003, 06:00 PM   #95
Earniel

You got it. Now ask us.
Old 01-22-2003, 12:01 PM   #96
barrelrider110

Thank you, Eärniel,

Who is Narvi, and what did he do?

Fear Complacency!
Old 01-22-2003, 02:21 PM   #97
Earniel

The dwarf that made the ithildin markings at the door of morÃ*a?
Old 01-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #98
barrelrider110

Quote:
`The words are in the elven-tongue of the West of Middle-earth in the Elder Days,' answered Gandalf. 'But they do not say anything of importance to us. They say only: The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter. And underneath small and faint is written: I, Narvi, made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs.'
I believe Narvi made the doors, and Celebrimdor made the writing, but that's close enough.

Your turn Eärniel.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 01-22-2003 at 03:46 PM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:27 PM   #99
Earniel

Thank you, though I don't deserve all the glory for finding the answer. It was posted just two questions back.

Question: What was the gift that Lobelia received from Bilbo on his 111th birthday and why did he give this particular gift?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:33 PM   #100
barrelrider110

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Thank you, though I don't deserve all the glory for finding the answer. It was posted just two questions back.

Question: What was the gift that Lobelia received from Bilbo on his 111th birthday and why did he give this particular gift?

I'm so confused.

But I do know the answer to the question: Spoons! Lobelia was in the habit of helping herself to Bilbo's spoons while he was away, I think, on the Quest of Erebor.

Fear Complacency!