Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 03:10 PM   #41
Theodred21

Re: thanks elenna

You seem to be paid to do alot of things! :lol:

Old 08-04-2001, 01:06 AM   #42
Manwe Sulimo

Well... not really... I'm paid to do some really boring work, that I can't stand doing all day long without breaks, so I visit here and some other boards...

Old 08-06-2001, 06:59 AM   #43
Manwe Sulimo

Well, now I am sitting at work, bored as hell, and i thought I'd see if I couldn't come up with some more of these...

Whenever someone says "Good morning" to you, you start discussing whether he meant that it is a good morning, he wishes you a good morning, or states that it would be a good morning if you weren't there.

All old men with long gray beards and hair are to be called Gandalf, and asked to make fireworks. And to be considered Old friends of the family.

If any old gits come into your home, and asks to see your Ring, you give it to him, and willingly let him throw it into the fire, and afterwards follow his advice to travel for months through enemies etc, just to throw your own ring into a volcano, not even demanding that the git should replace your Ring.

You are happy if some creature bites off your finger.

Old 08-06-2001, 04:04 PM   #44
webwizard333

You purposely lose a valued treasure just for the purpose of getting a group together and going on a "quest" to reclaim it.

You routinely break objects in half and then have them fixed.

Old 08-08-2001, 07:25 AM   #45
Manwe Sulimo

You expect small birds to fly up to you and start talking to you.

Whenever you sea a raven, you greet it corteously, and is offended if it does not reply in the same way.

Whenever you are near a lake, and see the rings from a fish jumping, you get scared crazy, back away from the waterline, and screams that everyone must watch out for the watcher in the water.

You try to open doors by yelling Mellon at them.

When that doesn't work, you drag out your secret map, and search for hidden runes on it telling you how to get in.

Whenever someone offers you cookies, you take one, bite of a corner, and say that you thought it was Waybread, such as the Men of Dale make.

Your cabin out in the forests is placed on a platform high up in a maple tree, but if someone says that to you, you tell them they are wrong, it is called a flet, and it is a mallorn tree.

Your cabin by the lake is placed far out in the lake, on high, wooden poles, connected to the shore by a long wooden bridge that can be removed if danger threatens.

You cannot go trekking in the mountains without constantly worrying about giants hurling boulders at you.

You spend every night walking around in the forests near your home hoping to find elves to practice your elvish with.

If you meet any elves in the forest, you actually know enough elvish to hold a conversation with them. Even if you have a rather old fashioned accent(it's not your fault that they don't speak it like they did in Doriath in the First Age)

You believe that the entire neighborhood is whispering about the fact that you have actually been in a boat.

Whenever you come to a stream, you stop, tilt your head and tries to hear the sound of Ulmo.

You hire a boat fully equipped with seismographic equipment and use it to search the entire sea-bottom of the western Atlantic, searching for the Lands that sunk, and hoping to find traces of all the famous places like the buryal site of Túrin in the Brethil Forest. The thing you are the most excited about, though, is the fact that you might even find the home of your ancestors, Númenor.(You don't worry about the fact that it costs a coupla hundred grand a day to loan the boat)

You know for a fact that the second cousin of the wife of your great-great-great-great-etc-etc-etc-fathers sisters husband's brother was the daughter of the man who was number 15 in the line of heirs for the Crown of Gondor in the second century of the Fourth Age.

But that is nothing compared to what you discovered yesterday: Your next-door-neighbor is a direct descendant from the neighbor of King Bard of Dale from the time he lived in Osgaloth.

You don't think of Tolkien as the inventor of Middle Earth, he just edited and translated the Red Book of Westmark, and published it as a history book.

You travel to some of the oldest cities in the world(Ur and such), and search the ruins for any old documents that might yield some more information about the third age. You would also be satisfied with finding any graffiti, as long as it read something like "Gandalf Grey was here 3/7-2789 TA" and "Saruman was here too, 3/7-2789 TA(evening)" and "Why are you following me, Curunir?" and "What? that is ridiculous! Off course I'm not following you around! I just happened to be passing through just out of sight of you..."

When you are to build a new home, you send a letter to "The King under the Mountain, Erebor, Rhovanion", requesting the assistance of the dwarves.

When you get that letter in return, you try sending it to "King Thranduil, Mirkwood" requesting that he forwards it to the King under the Mountain. And you add a note asking if some of his elves might have the possibility to come and help with the garden.

You get pissed off because you couldn't choose quenya as your third language(don't know how it is elsewhere, here we have norwegian as first, english as second, and can choose what we want as third... choose from a few, that is... german and french are often the only alternatives, some places have spanish, dunno if there are any more alternatives... :/ )

I realize that some of these have nothing to do with the LoTR, but rather other of the Professor's works, but I hope that's okay... If not, some admin or mod just edit them out or something...

Old 08-08-2001, 06:26 PM   #46
Elenna

I think you're funny!

....and you have way too much time on your hands....

Elenna ~ Lady of the Stars

Old 08-08-2001, 08:02 PM   #47
Manwe Sulimo

I know I have to much time on my hands... but luckily, someone is paying me for the time spent thinking of that kind of things...
But thanks for the compliment!

Old 08-08-2001, 08:07 PM   #48
Elenna

your welcome!

Elenna ~ Lady of the Stars

Old 08-13-2001, 06:31 PM   #49
ladyisme
Enting

Gandalf

If every July 4th you look at the fireworks and think that they're just not as good as Gandalf's.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:48 PM   #50
Manwe Sulimo
Elven Warrior

I think I'm kinda guilty of that one... only not 4.july, but new years eve... (I'm not an american, the only time we have foreworks is on new years eve... )
Old 08-14-2001, 09:46 AM   #51
Shanamir Duntak
Lord of Rain

Strider

Here in Quebec, we have some at the "Saint Jean-Baptiste" (night of june 23th)

And in july end up to mid august, we have about 6 representations of 30-45 minutes every 3 days. That's called "Les Grands Feux Loto-Québec" It's an annual competition of fireworks from around the world. This year, South Africa was incredible!

But I still hope I'll one day see that firework dragon live!
Old 08-16-2001, 12:28 PM   #52
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

i know this is a little late now, but anyhoo...........
Darth Tater: those reasons that pippintook posted were from the onering.net but i go to the messageboard where he got them from, and thats where they came from. othere people got the reasons from theonering.net and posted them up on the other site. the other messageboard is quite good too, i suggest anyone try it: http://www.thelordoftherings.com/

hopefully the link is working, the page is down right now!
Old 08-16-2001, 01:24 PM   #53
hiku747
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

i remembered one i read, it most like came from theonering.net:

your car alarm shouts, "FEAR, FIRE, FOES, AWAKE!!"

*chuckle*
Old 08-17-2001, 10:12 PM   #54
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I constantly wish I could have lived there (Middle Earth)!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 08-17-2001, 11:15 PM   #55
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Oh, but you do! All the cool people and their stuff have just left, that's all
Old 08-17-2001, 11:25 PM   #56
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf

I should have said, I constantly wish I could have lived there (Middle Earth) at that time!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #57
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I could think up good ones of these!!
Old 01-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #58
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

Lady of Rohan & I were fooling around @ school & she said U know your 2 obsessed when... you throw b-day parties 4 the cast members!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Old 01-28-2003, 08:27 PM   #59
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

That has to do with obsession for actors, not for the Lord of the Rings story. But I did celebrate Tolkien's 111th...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-28-2003, 11:12 PM   #60
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
But I did celebrate Tolkien's 111th...
Didn't Everyone?

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America