Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #121
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis smiled slightly, so that's why Magor had volunteered to help with dishes... She pointed him towards the supply train, "There should be a few jars of pickled vegetables in the largest compartment in the back of the wagon. Don't eat too many, and be sure to save the wax so that you can reseal the jar properly before you pack it away when you finish."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #122
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

It had been a week now, since Ingwionis and his wife made it back to their home. For that week, it was difficult for Ingwionis to adapt to life back home, for the months before he was always looking for a place outside to sleep, usually on some flat rock or on a bed of thick grass. He still knew that the journey wasn't over, and that this was simply turning back. "Back...maybe this was a turn forward...", he thought to himself. The party was likely to roll on to the east, or so he thought, and they may even pass close to this town, and they would probably stop for supplies. Something in him wasn't looking forward to that. Somehow, he was thinking that the party would be looking down on him, much as he thought they always had since the beginning of the journey. He didn't really get along with the other Elves in the group too well, though he got along with Radagast, humans, and the Dwarf in the times he talked with them. Ingwionis wasn't into the dogma that other Elves were into. Living in the east for the time he had, he had ventured into Rhun, both during peace and wartime, and had literally become an Easterling sympathizer, though not an apologist. Perhaps his vast differences from other Elves were the kind of differences that made the world go around...

His villa had become a city of lights in the time that he had been on his journey. It was much like a small version of Rivendell. The town sat atop a ridge of hills, surrounded by small mountains. The eastern portion of the small mountain chain is where the Mountain of Urd resides. It was labeled as such because Urd is such a flat land that the only deformity on its horizons are this mountain. Wildmen from Urd would often come to Ingwionis' villa to steal supplies but generally didn't attack anyone unless provoked. Now, encased in a wall, the wildmen would be no threat to the town's supplies, although it could make them more desperate in the future.

Ingwionis' town housed more Easterling humans than it did Elves. They all got along well from the beginning, but now the population was swelling. Some of the wildmen took up residence in the town, and cleaned up their acts. Several Dwarves who say they are from the far east lived in the town as well. Three of them worked in the villa's armory. Most of the people living in the town, aside from the children, had at least some combat skill, but few had any experience.

Ingwionis let the guards know that from the west may come a party of adventurers and that they should be tended to, upon his orders. It was unlikely that the party would ever find the town as it lies within the mountains and only a couple of ground paths lead to it, one at the northwestern end and one at the eastern end. The party would only come upon the town if Radagast himself knew of it, or if they just stumbled upon it by some astronomical oddity.

For all Ingwionis knew, he could be closer to the adventurers' objective than even they were. For all he knew, they could be in the Forodwaith, the northern wastes. And for all he knew, they may have been driven into the far east, beyond even the eyes of the Avari. Since Utumno's destruction, all that had remained for some two ages was sea and shallow lakes, where under pulverized pillars of Utumno's underground had been lying for millennia. And Ingwionis' home was only some 500 miles south of those ruins. Where once it was an evil place, for ages it has probably gone unvisited, and it could have been a safe place for the Entwives to go into hiding. As cold as the northern wastes were, they were also closer to the sea - milder air, milder climate, and probably dense sub-tundra forests. But...then again the Entwives may not exist at all anymore. The evidence was not without reasonable doubt. Ingwionis sure had a calling to search for them, for if not for the Ents, this 4th age would have been dominated by Sauron's minions and his complete rule and tyranny. The Ents had returned much territory to the free peoples, and they have as of yet gone unrewarded.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:10 AM   #123
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I shall,' Tabrîl agreed, understanding now why Radagast had wished her to know of this. She would have to be prepared for what lay ahead, as far as anyone could prepare for the unknown. She would, as always, be watchful.

Tabrîl walked back to the campsite, where the others had finished their meal and turned to other tasks. She checked on her horse, and decided then on a whim that the mare was to be named Laktalet. It was a name that spoke of swiftness, and she thought it fitting - as did Laktalet, Tabrîl surmised, as she spoke softly to the horse and told her of it.

She then went to sit by the fire, taking her now almost-finished dayeret with her. A little craftwork would pass the evening well, and she would be pleased when it was ready to play. There were many songs that she intended to teach Abasi, and striking the dayiret to keep time and rhythm would make that somewhat easier for them both.

Last edited by Aikanáro : 01-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #124
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Barufiniel felt confused. Although several of the items they had just discussed, had been mentioned to her earlier, this was the first time she had listened to all of it, put together, as it were. There were some parts that she either hadn't heard or hadn't noticed before - and then there was this information from the Seer, which was new to all of them.

Barufiniel wasn't at all sure what her part in the quest might be. Perhaps something to do with languages - she was good at learning new ones fast - but would they need that skill here?

She had already played her part in defending the group, but she was not an exceptional warrior - nothing compared to someone like, say, Tabril. She must be needed for something else - possibly something she wouldn't think of until it happened.

Tabril had sat down not too far away from her, after having spent some minutes with her new horse. A good horse, as far as Barufiniel could tell - she was no expert, but she had seen a few horses in her time. Probably something Tabril had traded with the Ultai.

For a change, Tabril was fiddling with something other than sharpening her knives. What was she repairing - or possibly making? Could it be some kind of instrument? Baru found herself staring, and stopped herself, embarrassed. It might not be very polite.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #125
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl was briefly aware of Barufiniel's scrutiny, but ignored it, continuing with her work. If she remained undistracted, she would finish while there was still enough sunlight to see by.

It did not take her long, and she regarded the new dayiret with a hint of pride. Considering what little she had had to work with, she considered it a success. She struck it with her hand, producing a clear, resonant sound, and causing the small metal discs around the edge of the frame to jingle softly.

Tomorrow, she thought, the songs will sound more as they should.

With the instrument still in her hand, Tabrîl stood, and looked over at Barufiniel. She had asked of the instruments of the Kindi, had she not? This was no kithir, but it was something, and Tabrîl considered indulging her inquistiveness.

She walked slowly over to where Barufiniel sat. 'You were curious,' she stated, and waited for the other woman's attention before she explained. 'This is a dayiret. It is a simple instrument, but an old one. It can be used to keep time-' and here Tabrîl demonstrated, tapping out a steady rhythm, '-or to match that which is sung. It makes the singing, and the learning of songs, somewhat easier, and this I am glad of, for there are very many songs I have yet to teach Abasi.'

Tabrîl passed the instrument down to Barufiniel, so that she might look at it for herself.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #126
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Aelfwine saw Tabril talking with Barufiniel and smiled. She was glad to see the elf speaking with someone instead of by herself sharpening her knives.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #127
Varnafindë

Barufiniel received the dayiret and examined it. She was pleased that Tabril hadn't minded her staring, but indeed had indulged her curiosity. She tried the dayiret, tapping it a couple of times, and shaking it to listen to the sound of the metal disks.

Then she looked up at Tabril and smiled.

"It's a good instrument," she said. "It looks a lot like what I call a tambourine, although it might not be quite the same. It will indeed be useful for teaching songs - accentuating the rhytm like you can do here, supports the singing, and probably makes the tune easier to remember as well."

She hesitated, and then went on.

"Perhaps you remember what you said to me the other day, that my grandmother's courage ought to be put in song? I tried to make a song about it - I usually just make funny songs, so this was more difficult. I ... I could sing it now, if you would like to hear it ..."

Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #128
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'I recollect,' said Tabrîl as she took the dayiret back from Barufiniel. 'It is unsurprising that you find it difficult. Songs meant only for amusement are different. They are temporary. A song of history must be remembered by others.'

Tabrîl sat down next to the other elf, regarding her with a measure of curiosity. 'Sing it,' she said. 'I cannot offer opinion on it - though my speech may be passable enough in your language, I know nothing of the forms of your songs. Even so, I would like to hear it.'

Old 02-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #129
Varnafindë

Barufiniel was glad that Tabril was interested in hearing her song - and in hearing about her history. She cleared her voice and began to sing.

She sang about Gondolin, and how Idril, the Princess, had been fearful for its safety, and had made a secret tunnel for people to escape by. She sang about the summer festival where everyone was waiting for the sunrise, only to find the enemy attacking the city instead. She sang about her grandparents, Erufailon and Arindis, both friends and kinsmen of Idril. Erufailon was in King Turgon's Guard and had fallen defending his king, while Arindis had tried to escape with their ten year old boy, little Rameldir.

They had got nearly to the escape tunnel when an Orc overtook them. Arindis attacked the Orc with her dagger, delaying him enough to give Rameldir time to run to Tuor, Idril's husband, who had seen them from the tunnel. While Rameldir was being carried to safety, he looked back and saw the Orc cutting his mother down.

Barufiniel finished her song, thinking about her father, who had left for the West now. She swallowed, and then waited for Tabril's comments.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #130
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Magor was just finishing up some wonderful pickles and sealing the jar back when he Aerin sat down beside him.

"Well? Was the work worth the pickle?" She asked, smiling.

"Oh, yes, it was," he answered. "That was just what I needed and I would wash any number of dishes to get more if need be. But don't tell Haldis or she'll hide them from me whenever she wants someone else to do the dishes. Aelf! Do you like pickles? Because I know where they are, due to a little investigative hard work!"
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #131
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Radagast considered briefly studying the Dol Guldur papers again after dinner had ended and Magor had quickly volunteered to do the dishes. There was still enough light, the sun was still sinking in the west. But he eventually put the papers back in his bag. He had looked at them often enough now, and doubted any more novel insights would be gained that evening.

Radagast heard Barufiniel starting to sing. He didn't immediately recognised the song, but it was nice. Elves had such pretty voices. He listened with one ear, while his mind wandered back to the Entwife-problem. Teye had helped them along marvelously with her visions, but he still felt uneasy.

Especially the fourth image the seer had described, the one she had said was specifically meant for him filled Radagast with worry. A strange tower, a figure of a woman and the shadowy wind-creatures. Was it something he should recognise? Was it a memory, had he once known her, long ago in a time long forgotten? Or was it yet to come?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #132
Acalewia

Aelfwine laughed.
"Are you sharing, Magor," She said with a grin. She remembered all the mischief they had done before he became a Rider. Fun days. And wonderful memories.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #133
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl listened to Barufiniel's song, which in her opinion was quite fitting. It did not surprise her that Barufiniel had done so well with it. She had heard the other woman sing before, and so had expected as much from her, even if Baru herself had not had that confidence.

'It is a good song,' she told her once it was finished. 'It tells the tale well, of the bravery and the loyalty of the people of the city, and especially of your Erûvilon and Arindîs. Your father's mother in partiular...' Tabrîl gave Baru a faint smile. 'Likely I have said it before, but you ought to be proud of her sacrifice. It is fitting for a warrior to give her life to save a child,' she stated, sounding approving.

'And your song,' she continued, 'portrays it well. You should add it to the teachings of your people, so that it is remembered.'

Old 03-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #134
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"Am I sharing?" Magor joked. "That depends on what I'll get out of this deal. You gonna groom my horse for me?" He laughed out loud and Aerin wondered what was so funny. He told her, "Taking care of my horse is probably my favorite thing to do, other than riding. I wouldn't trade that for all the pickles in the world. And if I had both, no way would I give the pickles away for someone to do my horse's grooming!" He winked at Aelf and retreived two more pickles, one for her and one for Aerin.

"Whatever I can do for some damsels in distress!" he said, sitting down. Aerin took the pickle and told him, "I was not in distress about not having a pickle, especially since we just had dinner. But thank you." Then she ate it.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #135
Acalewia

Aelfwine laughed at Magor's comment. She laughed even more at Aerin's puzzled look. She took the pickle Magor handed her.
"You and the damsles in distress. Always the hero," She said with a grin and a wink.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 AM   #136
Midge
Faithful Gardener

"Speaking of a damsel in distress, I know of one near our 'stable' who needs me now," Magor said, fairly hopping to his feet and running to tend to his horse. Aerin realized she still didn't know the horse's name.

"What is his horse's name?" She asked Aelfwine as they munched their pickles.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #137
Acalewia

"Hmm," Aelfwine said. "I can quite remember. As much as he talks about her I should know," She laughed. "But he does love that horse more than anyone could love a creature," She smiled.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #138
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Magor jogged to his horse, A Shot in the Dark (Shot for short) and began brushing her down as she munched some oats he'd given her. As he was doing this, he noticed a dark figure brushing another horse. Who is this? he wondered and spoke it out loud. When he'd said as much, the figure looked up and Magor recognized another Rider whom he'd seen plenty of times around Rohan, but had not noticed on this trip much. Perhaps that's because I'm hanging around all these women, he thought, laughing at his inner sarcasm.

"Friend, I don't know your name, though I know your face. Would you do me the honor of first introducing yourself, as I will do in a moment, and then going off to a hunt? My name is Magor and I am a Rider of the Mark, as I know you are as well. What we will hunt I am not sure, but the moon is rising and the beginning of the night is an excellent time to find something to shoot and then eat. Will you join me?" He waited for the Rider's reply.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #139
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

After returning from scouting around the camp and further ahead, Redplate quietly came back into camp to retrieve a bowl of stew from the cook fire, and inform Radagast of his discoveries. Once done with that, Carnehillion went over to his horse and gave her a good brushing. Bahar was happily enjoying the rub down, and using her human as a scratching post, when she noticed the young man approach another mare in the small herd and proceed to groom her. Bahar nudged Redplate and gave a low whicker, causing him to look over his shoulder and notice the young man for himself.

Ah, what's his name... Magor. I see the young lad finally pried himself away from the ladies' circle. Carnehillion grinned in the darkness, and continued to groom his mount and watch as Magor did the same. He looks familiar though, where have I seen him before?

Carnehillion bent his mind in thought, as he adjusted Bahar's headstall, as to here he might have met the young man before the quest's beginning. Meduseld. Must've been when the lad was sword-sworn as a Rider. Redplate continued about his business, packing up what tools he didn't need into his cantle bag when Magor hailed him.

"Friend, I don't know your name, though I know your face. Would you do me the honor of first introducing yourself, as I will do in a moment, and then going off to a hunt? My name is Magor and I am a Rider of the Mark, as I know you are as well. What we will hunt I am not sure, but the moon is rising and the beginning of the night is an excellent time to find something to shoot and then eat. Will you join me?" He waited for the Rider's reply.

Carnehillion nodded to the man by way of acknowledgment, "I'm Carnehillion Redplate, second Marshall of the West Riding. Waes Hael, fellow Rider of the Mark! I know your name and martial bearing well enough Magor of Westfold. T'was four years ago, that you made your sword oath to Eomer King. I am glad to have another rider on this venture."

Redplate hid a grin as he saw the young man's face flush with recognition and continued. "I would glad accompany you on the hunt, what with the last of our meats being slowly used by ways of stews this past month. Are we to be mounted or afoot, to sword or to ship our bows?"
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 03-21-2010 at 01:51 AM.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #140
Varnafindë

Barufiniel was happy about Tabril's praise of her song - she appreciated that the older Elf wasn't just being vague, but pointed out what she found good about it.

"Yes, I am proud of my grandmother and of her sacrifice,", she said. "I will add the song to the teachings of my people, as you say - what little of them are left here in Middle-earth. So many of them have travelled to the West ... I suppose that next time someone leaves, I should send a copy with them, to have it truly added to our teachings. It would be good if my people in the West could sing it, too. There will be more people there who knew her."

Perhaps she will even be there herself, she thought to herself. Glorfindel was returned from Mandos, and so was Finrod, and probably others. Perhaps Arindis as well? But that would be mere speculations.