Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2001, 03:58 PM   #1
Ben
Retired Ent

Gandalf Entmoot's first review of the movie!!

(Note: This may contain minor spoilers)

I had the opportunity to go to the North American premiere of the most anticipated film of all time. The excitement was palpable sitting in the darkened theater, a week before general release, with Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, and other cast members in the audience. To sum it up: "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is a triumph of cinema and art which does justice to Tolkien's work.

I came to the movie with an open mind - I hadn't read the books in over a year, and had intentionally avoided most major movie "spoilers." That being said, I felt that the movie captured the spirit of the story without hanging on every word from the text. "Harry Potter" was an enjoyable experience, but it required (and assumed) prior familiarity to fully understand and appreciate it. Peter Jackson's LotR, on the other hand, is more than just an excellent copy of literature: it stands by itself as a wholly separate work.

Omissions of beloved scenes are hardly noticed with the quick pace of the story. The transition from the Shire to Bree is smooth. Certainly Tom Bombadil would have been a joy to see onscreen, but the episode would have tacked on another half hour to an already very long movie and perhaps tested the patience of nonfans. Yet even at three hours, the time breezes past.

Middle-earth has truly been brought to life. New Zealand's natural beauty provides ideal landscapes. The idyllic Shire is shown just as we had all imagined. The grotesque orcs and Balrog are terrifying. The evil atmosphere of Moria, Isengard, and Mordor is chilling, leaving the viewer anxious for a more extended glimpse into the Land of Shadow.

Another admirable aspect of the film is that even with epic battles and CG monsters, appropriate time is given to develop the major characters, the story's heart and soul. Frodo's friendship with Sam is given due prominence, and Ian McKellen's Gandalf is superb. A small gripe of mine is that the minor characters were not given the individuality that they deserved: by the end, I was still unsure over which Hobbit was Merry and which was Pippin; and Legolas and Gimli were peripheral figures. However, given that their friendship is more a focus in The Two Towers, this is not a big problem.

The film is destined to become a classic (and gross hundreds of millions of dollars in the process!). After such a long wait, the success is a satisfying relief. I will undoubtedly return to see it again many times, and I've already started counting the days until December 2002!

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 07:49 PM   #2
ladyisme
Enting

Treebeard

This is good to hear!
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 08:00 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

So... favourite part?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:39 PM   #4
Elendil
Sapling

I was wondering how is the Last Alliance Battle scene, and how do they make up for the lack of Bombadil
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 12:53 AM   #5
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Thanks!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 04:00 AM   #6
anduin
Entwife

Does or doesn't the Balrog have wings?
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 05:06 AM   #7
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Well, of course he does, silly, regardless of what Peter might or might not think (Just kidding, Anduin--I absolutely detest when the question comes up on my board, and I couldn't resist a minor dig. For the record, I have absolutely no interest in debating the wings question.)

Thanks, Brian, for a very good review.(Good in the technical writing sense--I didn't think for a minute that you'd pan the movie). I might even stop hating you for seeing it so early, but then again, maybe not!

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.

Last edited by Bacchus : 12-16-2001 at 05:08 AM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 07:59 AM   #8
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Thanx, Ben. Very good review. You say very interesting things without uncovering major spoilers.

How does Bree looks like? i am a bit concerned, from the pics i've seen, it may not look truely real.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:10 PM   #9
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Ben, I wanna know about the change in Galadriel's eyes when Frodo offers her the Ring. I've read something about it, and some people have said it just looked weird... What did you think about it?

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 03:01 PM   #10
Ben
Retired Ent

IP: Favorite part? I don't know, they were all good .

Elendil: The Last Alliance scene is great. In the movie, the hobbits just go from the Shire to Bree, without going through the Old Forest. Instead of saying that he would come back to the Shire, Gandalf told the hobbits that he would meet them at the Prancing Pony.

Bacchus: What is this Brian thing coming from?

noldo: *spoilers I don't remember what happened to her eyes in particular, but she imagined herself to become a "Dark Lady" and grew to a monstrous height for a few seconds. It's actually very interesting to see how they have shown each character's temptation by the ring. The whole audience practically jumped out of their seats when Bilbo's face contorts into a demonic snarl after seeing the Ring again in Rivendell.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 05:50 PM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

LOL, nice plug on TOR.N...

What did you think of Arwen?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 06:15 PM   #12
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
That's great!I'm now looking foward to it more then ever. What I want to know is if Merry and Pippin got into anymore mischief after the Fireworks scene?How did the Hobbit actors do? What was the most intense part?
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:32 AM   #13
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bmilder

Bacchus: What is this Brian thing coming from?
Sorry, Ben. I posted that after my company Christmas party. 'Nuff said.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 11:41 AM   #14
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

WAAAAA! I want to read it but I just can't bring my self to do it!

:sob: I will just have to hang on till I get to see it myself.

waaaa!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:48 AM   #15
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

doh, i just read it.urg i didn't want to know why everyone jumped out of their seats. arg. oh well.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:33 AM   #16
hama

I am just too busy being envious of Ben to think of any questions. I guess I'll have to console myself to seeing FOTR with my parents and my children, all of whom have become LOTR devotees because of my love of the work. I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts but I'll have to wait until the 20th when I return home.

PS...Great article in the NJ Ledger. Thank you for the post and the link.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 05:45 PM   #17
Darkside Spirit
Hobbit

How did you get to go to the premier? Entmoot isn't that prestigious!!

Good review, anyway. I'm hoping to be able to see it Friday afternoon... I await it with baited breath. Tom Bombadil's ommission does seem disappointing though.
Darkside Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 10:02 PM   #18
Matto Baggins
Hobbit

Strider

does the omission of tom bombadil really, i mean truly, affect the story
Old 12-19-2001, 10:34 PM   #19
anduin
Entwife

I didn't think so, but I knew that it was being left out. A friend that went with me stayed away from spoilers completely and had no idea. It threw him off a bit to be sure, and he commented on it the second he realized it. But the thing is IMO is that moments that they changed or left out are quickly forgotten and forgiven. But that is just my opinion.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 11:45 PM   #20
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I will see it on Christmas Eve...then start the wait for the DVD!

Hope it does better than Potter at the box office!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote