Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #61
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Ive just seen the entire DéjÃ* Vu on youtube - one of my absolute favourites. Starring Denzel Washington - and Patty Patton as the female lead - the sweetest of sweet women !!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #62
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

A couple of days ago I saw Avatar. In special effects department it was amazing. Humans have developed a method in which to inhabit native bodies with their minds and thus they can communicate with the Navi, the native tribe. Storywise, well - a bit [I]programmed[I], which is an term I use for a movie which has a pretty readily seen conclusion. In the case of the hero, naturally, goes native (the expression used by the military for traitors), after falling for the daughter of the leader of the indigenous population. He ses "the light" so to speak, much to the displeasure of the high-tech weapon toting self-engrandizing quite mad Colonel, which in his turn, naturally, at the instigation of a callous administrator sets out of to rid the planet of the native tribe by destroying their home - a giant tree in the middle of surrounding forest. The battle (more like slaughter, really) between the humans and Navi goes really bad for the latter. In the end the Hero really becomes a native by having his "soul" transferred to a Navi body.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #63
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I've been on a bit of a Quebecois gay-themed movie spat lately. C.R.A.Z.Y., and Xavier Dolan's pieces J'ai tue ma mere and Les amour imaginaires were all pretty great. Dolan's films are pretty stylized, so beware, those who don't care for that kind of thing. Even with my taste for it, though, C.R.A.Z.Y. was far and away the best; prolly my favourite gay-themed movie now.

Edited to add trailers.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 09-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #64
Fool_of_a_Took
Hobbit

Grey Wolf- have you heard that Disney has plans to put an Avatar themed area into the Walt Disney World Park?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-parks/

I actually read about this on Mugglenet, where the writers there seemed to be upset that Disney was piggybacking on the success of Universal's "Wizarding World of Harry Potter".

"We're flat broke, but hey, we do it in style."
Fool_of_a_Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #65
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool_of_a_Took View Post
Grey Wolf- have you heard that Disney has plans to put an Avatar themed area into the Walt Disney World Park?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-parks/

I actually read about this on Mugglenet, where the writers there seemed to be upset that Disney was piggybacking on the success of Universal's "Wizarding World of Harry Potter".
I havent actually - but it sounds like something that DWP would set up. They do have a plethora of possible themes to chose from.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #66
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Monsters- Giant octopus-like monsters from space occupy the northern half of Mexico and are in the process of spreading. The protagonists are an American journalist and the daughter of the media mogul he works for who have to try and get back to the U.S.

No, not what it sounds like- more an exploration of North-South Developed World- Third World/ illegal immigration issues. Really well done.

Seediq Bale:Warriors of the Rainbow- probably not coming to a theatre near you. The most expensive movie made in Taiwan, an epic ( uncut 4 hours; international release 3hrs) about an uprising in 1930 of a local aboriginal tribe against Japanese colonisers.

Possibly more beheadings than any movie ever -all historically accurate; my wife comes from a related tribe

. Mostly made with local non-actors. The FX are sometimes a little cheesy, but well worth seeing.

It doesn't pull any Avatar/Dances With Wolves style politically-correct glorification of the locals as Noble Savages either- the scene of the uprising shows the oppressed natives happily slaughtering every Japanese man, woman, and child they can get their hands on.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 10-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #67
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

I just saw Lasse Hallström's Casanova starring Heath Ledger, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Irons, Oliver Platt, Tim McInnerny (Also seen in Notting Hill), Natalie Dormer (Also seen Ann Boleyn in The Tudors). A good movie, with all the ingredients of a well-made comical costume drama.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #68
Stefan Salvatore
Sapling

Recent films.

Warrior
Jane Eyre
Deathly Hallows Part 2
Stefan Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #69
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Immortals (Opening friday 11.11.11)

I have seen Immortals today.

It was an enjoyable film to watch. If you are familiar with history and Greek myths you may recognize different elements as they occur during the film.

The film is great if you like:
  • stylized violence
  • sword and spear play
  • Involvement of the Olympic gods
  • epic battles
  • Greek mythology

If you are looking for a deep plot and story line, you will be disappointed. the story is relatively straight forward and easy to follow.

Those familiar with Greek myths may see some of the mythology represented differently from how they may have learned Greek mythology.

King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) is angry at the world and the gods for the death of his family. He wants to find the Epirus Bow (Think Hank the ranger from D&D) so he may be able to free the Titans from their prison in Mount Tartarus. The king and his army leave a wake of destruction in the quest to find the Epirus Bow.

Theseus, a young man from a small village, winds up being the one to oppose Hyperion and his army. He eventually has to rally Hellenic forces in a last stand against a overwhelmingly larger force.

================================================== ========

I know the writers of the film, Vlas and Charley Parlapanides, since they were little. We grew up in the same town. I am happy that they were able to get their work produced as film. Hopefully this film will lead to more success in the future.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #70
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Easy A, starring Emma Stone (of Zombieland) stretching it a bit as a 17-year-old who's never been kissed, but pulling it off. Not a modernised adaptation of "The Scarlet Letter", more a very funny riff on it; vicious high-school gossip and bad reputations, in the Heathers/Mean Girls/ Election mode.

Highly recommended.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #71
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Easy A, starring Emma Stone (of Zombieland) stretching it a bit as a 17-year-old who's never been kissed, but pulling it off. Not a modernised adaptation of "The Scarlet Letter", more a very funny riff on it; vicious high-school gossip and bad reputations, in the Heathers/Mean Girls/ Election mode.

Highly recommended.
Not a bad film, but some of the situations do stretch reality.

Overall it is worth a view.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #72
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I enjoyed some of Easy A, but the whole thing overall left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like how the gay friend was portrayed (especially not at the end), and some of the things that it seemed like they were promoting really made me uncomfortable. There's a difference between parodying something and making fun of it, and actually promoting it by making it seem silly and okay, and I felt like they crossed that line a couple of times.

:-/
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #73
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
I enjoyed some of Easy A, but the whole thing overall left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like how the gay friend was portrayed (especially not at the end),
How so? He was so bullied by the people around him that he had to pretend to be straight, while in the end he broke free from all the pretence.

Of course, I'll admit dropping out of high school to run away with your lover, gay or straight, is generally not a good idea, "American Beauty" and "Young Turks" notwithstanding- re the stories of homeless kids on the street...though I must add I don't regret having done it. OTOH, we both went back to home and school the next semester.

The "big black guy" quote is supposed to be another example of the high school rumor mill exaggerating things.

Quote:
and some of the things that it seemed like they were promoting really made me uncomfortable. There's a difference between parodying something and making fun of it, and actually promoting it by making it seem silly and okay, and I felt like they crossed that line a couple of times.
:-/
Yes, the message is not for everybody- it's generally pro-sex, and anti-Christian, at least of the purity rings and abstinence-only variety.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #74
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

We saw Burn before reading a couple of days ago. A really weird movie. Any of you seen it?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #75
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

I saw the new Three Musketeers. Pretty cool actually. If you like good old fashioned adventures this is the one for you.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #76
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Hi Grey Wolf! Burn Before Reading was a really good little film, excellent on so many levels.

Snow White and the Huntsman - saw it this past weekend and absolutely loved it. It's a tremendously well-made fantasy film, really sucks you into the world they created. I'll see it again, for sure.

Here's the full trailer for Snow White:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgfYBJoPFFw

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 06-07-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #77
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
Hi Grey Wolf! Burn Before Reading was a really good little film, excellent on so many levels.

Snow White and the Huntsman - saw it this past weekend and absolutely loved it. It's a tremendously well-made fantasy film, really sucks you into the world they created. I'll see it again, for sure.

Here's the full trailer for Snow White:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgfYBJoPFFw
Thanks, Lottie. It looks fab from what I've seen in the trailer. Just my kind of adventure movie.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #78
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

(to Grey Wolf) It is so good, you'll LOVE it! Is it in the cinemas in Norway yet?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #79
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse View Post
(to Grey Wolf) It is so good, you'll LOVE it! Is it in the cinemas in Norway yet?
It came up this Friday on cinemas here in Sweden. I think tho Ill wait until it is released on dvd.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #80
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I've been making my way through all the James Bond movies. In Roger Moore territory now. He isn't nearly as bad as I imagined, actually.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote