FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #41
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I miss Donna.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #42
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

At first, I thought her brash personality was going to be annoying, but everything evened out in the end, to the point that she's my fave companion after Rose.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #43
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree with you, Gwai. She was so quirky and funny so often, than when she did tragic, it was very moving. And such a pal! Just what the doc needed.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hmm, just watched the staircase episode - hroom, hroom ...

Well, didn't love it, and just a bit too many references to other things - just striving to be kinda over-clever, maybe? And in at least two episodes now there have been pics of other doctors, yet not of Tennant ... Afraid of our competition, are we?

I like Smith a bit better overall, but not the show yet - and Amy sure didn't have much of a part in this one besides screaming *sigh*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #45
Rían

ok just watched the first (I think?) of the two-part finale (it's two part, right?) - rather a cute idea - the Doctor wondering and talking about the most dangerous thing in the universe, and "who are you?", etc. etc., and ...
it's empty and is intended for him!

love the potato-head guys!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:58 AM   #46
Draken
Elf Lord

Yep it's a two parter. Prepare yourself for a total change of pace for the final episode, and a very effective one too. I'd say it's easily the best New Who finale but if you don't rate this series much by now, you may well disagree!

The potato heads are the mighty warrior race the Sontarans. Who do indeed look like potatoes.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #47
Rían

I'm looking forward to it! (although Doc #10 is still the best!)

Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #48
lobby

It is a good show!
highly recommended!!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #49
Rían

Just re-watched Tennant's final show - the first time I watched it, I didn't catch all the references to the characters and incidents. I just re-watched it after seeing all his episodes, and it's a lot more fun It took me a long time to find that Alonso reference, though, because for some reason, that episode isn't on Netflix streaming at all - it's only on disk, and they even had an error and sent me the wrong disk, and I had to call them and get them to fix it in their links. It's the "Titanic" Christmas special. It's sooooo sad! and Kylie Minogue is so cute in it!!! But so many nice people died

I love that lottery ticket thing! And Wilf is such a sweetie!!!

Last edited by Rían : 10-28-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #50
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

And I quite liked that Vale Decem song; a very nice goodbye to my fave Doctor.

*sniffle*

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #51
Rían

Yes, very nice!

I just found a blooper in one of our favorite episodes - in "The Girl in the Fireplace", when the Doctor rejoins Rose and Micky with the horse following him, at one point you can see the horse in the mirror, along with Rose's head. The shot changes, then changes back, and because Rose has changed her head position slightly you can clearly see the horse trainer reaching towards the horse making him stay where he is. Just for a split second, but very clear. In fact, at first I thought it was someone on the ship, but remembered that the crew is goners.

I tried to find a blooper list for that show, and couldn't find it, then tried to find a blooper list for that season, and couldn't find it. There's a Dr Who blooper list for all doctors up thru Eccleston, though.

Last edited by Rían : 11-12-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #52
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

*grin* we thought we saw some bloopers in the 5th season, until we realized that they weren't bloopers.. :P damn, we sat and looked through episodes and had loads of theories.. which then turned out to be at least partially right! doctor who just brings out that very obsessed part of us.. have to figure stuff before they reveal it! XD

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #53
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
My favourite Doctors will always be William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton (numbers 1 & 2 respectively). Of the classic Doctors, Tom Baker usually gets cited a LOT, so if you are thinking about checking out classic Doctors, I'd start there (City of Death is awesome-funny). IMO, pretty much any serial with Tom Baker & Lala Ward is pure awesome sauce.

Of the new Doctors, Tennant is my favourite, but I really like the new one as well.

My favourite stories are the Blink one, and the Empty Child/Doctor Dances eps. I also like John Simm as the Master.
I have seen only a few Patrick Troughton episodes.

Hartnell was charming as the doctor. I liked that he was not always portrayed as a typical hero. He had some visible flaws. Occasionally he had to be nudged by his companions to do the right thing.

Each doctor had something to bring to the role. If the story was good enough it really did not matter too much who the Doctor was to me.

Of the Original doctors I did not like Colin Baker (6)
Of the new series I did not care much for #9 Christopher Eccleston.

Roger Delgado was an excellent Master to Jon Pertwee's Doctor. Some of their banter is classic in my opinion.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #54
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
I miss Donna.
So do I. She was one of the better companions for the Doctor.

Some of her comedy is funny as well. I never heard of her until she appeared on Dr. Who.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #55
Rían

SOOO - has anyone seen the new Dr Who Christmas special?

I liked it a lot! That was surprising, because I haven't been wild about the new doctor and the new style, but I liked it a lot. I loved the fish in the air, and that little vignette of Christmas Eve scenes ("Hello, Doctor!" "Hello, Doctor!" "Hello, Doctor!" " .... Hel-LO, Kazran! ) was very well done.

Some very clever lines, too, and clever situations (marrying Marilyn Monroe!). Overall, very good Anyone else see it?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #56
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i saw it.
i was quite disappointed, to be honest; i've never been a big fan of the christmas specials, 'cause they always seem like they're very oriented towards people who never watch doctor who, except at christmas. there's usually never anything new that develops the overall story or any of the characters; the christmas specials, to me, seem like any scifi show. that's how it was when russel t. davies was still making them, and i was hoping that steven moffat would do a more interesting job (since that's what i think he's done over all).. but he didn't, really. the timey-wimeyness was of course nice, but nothing unique.

it was great to see the doctor again, though. i do love the new doctor and i really look forward to the next season.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #57
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
i saw it.
i was quite disappointed, to be honest; i've never been a big fan of the christmas specials, 'cause they always seem like they're very oriented towards people who never watch doctor who, except at christmas. there's usually never anything new that develops the overall story or any of the characters; the christmas specials, to me, seem like any scifi show.
That's one thing that I liked - it's stand-alone, and is fine by itself, so I guess we're just different that way. And if they bring in new fans, that's great

I don't feel they're like any other scifi show, either - they still have the Dr. Who flavor, but they don't do any development of the story or characters.

Actually, that's one thing that I haven't liked about the new doctor - I think his shows have too much development and continuity. I liked Tennant's doctor the best (probably because it's the first doctor I saw, but a lot of people love his version of the doctor, too) and the feel of his shows. Most of his shows could stand on their own (except the final ones, of course), but were more enjoyable the more you knew. For example, Midnight is a great episode, IMO, and it stands on its own very well, but it is FAR better if you are a Dr. Who fan and know the details (for example, you'll catch the brief flash of Rose on the tv when the Doctor's back is turned).

Well, the new season starts in March over here, I think - we'll see how it goes - from what I can tell, they're centering it in America ...

Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #58
Draken
Elf Lord

I quite liked it. Can't entirely agree with Nerdanel, as past Christmas specials have been used to introduce a new Doctor and introduce a future companion, so they have played a major part in furthering the ongoing plot of the series. But certainly this one was more stand-alone (probably. You can never be sure with Moffat!).

I had feared a straightforward rip-off of A Christmas Carol so was pleasantly surprised. I liked the concept of Sardik seeing his past altered and recalling his "new" memories simultaneously. Some great one-liners, Ms Jenkins looked stunning and Amy was back in uniform, so I was happy.

Kasabian did air sharks first though (check out the video for 'Cutt Off' on Youtube, good track).

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #59
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
SOOO - has anyone seen the new Dr Who Christmas special?

I liked it a lot! That was surprising, because I haven't been wild about the new doctor and the new style, but I liked it a lot. I loved the fish in the air, and that little vignette of Christmas Eve scenes ("Hello, Doctor!" "Hello, Doctor!" "Hello, Doctor!" " .... Hel-LO, Kazran! ) was very well done.

Some very clever lines, too, and clever situations (marrying Marilyn Monroe!). Overall, very good Anyone else see it?
Overall, I liked the Christmas special. A nice twist on "A Christmas Carol."
I would like more episodes of Dr. Who. Will need to wait till March.

I do not like it when the past is rewritten in general. For me it gets to be a pain in the neck. (Thankfully the original series avoided this for the most part.)

The part of the organ not being in tune with the "new" Karzan did not make sense to me. Karzan's dad would have made the organ work for the "new" Karzan since dad grew up with both Karzans. (It did make for a more bittersweet ending.)

(Too bad a cure could not have been found, but that is life. The Doctor could have changed the past again to find a way to keep her alive, but then things get confusing again with all of the timeline jumping/changing.)

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #60
Rían

Yes, it's hard to keep things consistent! Also, I don't quite like the multiple use of the time-jumping bracelet thing - it makes things too easy.