Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #281
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yes, it's definitely inconsistent - but we fans have to just live with it, because it makes for better stories!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #282
Draken
Elf Lord

How can anyone not like Amy? She did the usual 'moral compass' job while being interesting, independent and stunningly beautiful (ah, I think I've stumbled on why some people don't like her right there!). Most of her life was intertwined with the Doctor's and we got to see the consequences of that. She came as a package with Rory, who was an absolutely brilliant character - in fact the Gillan/Darvill/Smith chemistry was about as good as any I've ever seen. And as a special bonus she didn't mope around after the Doctor with puppy dog eyes like certain other companions (Donna being a notably brilliant exception).

On the minus side, is it just me or are the plot holes getting bigger of late? I don't MIND plot holes, I mean it's sci-fi not a documentary after all, but are we really saying, for instance that NOBODY would see the Statue of Liberty walking around, even at night? I know we can't expect a "Blink" every time Moffat picks up his pen, but I'm feeling vaguely disappointed with his tenure (though maybe "Blink" just set the bar too high. There HAVE been some truly great episodes).

Anyway, if losing the Williams/Ponds made you a bit sad, maybe you shouldn't watch this recreation of a deleted postscript to their story...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/...l-three-ponds/

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #283
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
How can anyone not like Amy?
i absolutely loved amy in the beginning - she was incredibly clever and fun and clearly had a great background. lately, though, she just became more and more boring, didn't show many signs of that intelligence that i appreciated so much, and looked more and more plastic. she was supposed to look older in that last episode? yeah, right. they did a great job with old amy in 'the girl who waited', but not so much here.

but rory just got better and better as time passed.

it was time to change companions, i think. i was on the verge of giving up on doctor who after the previous season and the first episodes of this one (it feels like the show has become, sorry to put it this way, more american: higher saturation, smoother skin, more explosions, younger and younger people...), but fortunately, i didn't. i quite enjoyed the last one and i think there's still some hope that we'll get more of that brilliant moffat stuff.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #284
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
How can anyone not like Amy?
I think she was too "perfect" - unrealistically fearless. Like no matter what was happening, she was "Jumping off a cliff? Wow, what fun! Fighting an army? Wow, what fun!" She did have some fearful moments, but she just wasn't realistic in that area, IMO. She was rather one-dimensional and just kind of boring to me.

OTOH, I think they did great things with Rory, and I liked him a lot - he was far more real.

Quote:
She came as a package with Rory, who was an absolutely brilliant character ...
Yes, I think they did a great job with him - started off as a kind of Mickey character (from Mickey/Rose), but really grew, while staying very real.

Quote:
On the minus side, is it just me or are the plot holes getting bigger of late? I don't MIND plot holes, I mean it's sci-fi not a documentary after all, but are we really saying, for instance that NOBODY would see the Statue of Liberty walking around, even at night?
I loved the idea of the SoL being a weeping angel, but after the split second of "Wow! love that idea!" came the "how in the world did people not notice?"

Quote:
I know we can't expect a "Blink" every time Moffat picks up his pen, but I'm feeling vaguely disappointed with his tenure (though maybe "Blink" just set the bar too high. There HAVE been some truly great episodes).
Blink was bloody brilliant. My all-time favorite episode (my son has a "the angels have the phone box" t-shirt ) There have been quite a few good episodes besides Blink, but yeah, I wish they could have made the Statue of Liberty thing a bit more believable - some kind of "perception filter" block maybe? that the angels could generate?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #285
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've finally managed to see End of Time, Tennant's last episodes. (I admit, I had been saving them even if that means arriving late at the party, three years after everybody else. ) Wow is all I can say. Man, he was such a great Doctor.

As it happens, the first season of the 11th Doctor has just started a re-run on one of the BBc channels, so I'm guessing it's time to catch up.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #286
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
Blink was bloody brilliant. My all-time favorite episode (my son has a "the angels have the phone box" t-shirt ) There have been quite a few good episodes besides Blink, but yeah, I wish they could have made the Statue of Liberty thing a bit more believable - some kind of "perception filter" block maybe? that the angels could generate?
Blink was excellent. The other appearances by the angels were not as good and in some cases disappointing. In all fairness, I do not think that the Angels are an easy character to use well.

I did not care much for the angels in the last episode. The hard part with the angels is balancing how powerful/fearful they are in episodes.

This one had the angels more fearful, but they appeared way too powerful. As I said: the Angels are not an easy character to use well.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #287
Rían

Just watched season opener of Dr. Who. Great opening premise - that the doctor was going to save someone, as he often does, but this time it's a little boy, and the boy's name is ...
Davros! who created the killer Dalek race!
. So do you save him or not?