Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Dr. Who

My daughter visited a friend's house for the day and was introduced to Dr. Who (the "Blink" episode - great episode!!!) and told me about it. Having just gotten Netflix going, I streamed it - and fell in love!!!!

My favorite doc is #10, David Tennant. #9 (Christopher Eccleston) is also good. I saw one of the 70's doctors (Tom Baker), which was a real trip. I'm not wild about the new doctor, though (Matt Smith).

Anyway - anyone else here a fan of the Doctor? (I think I saw Gwai say something about liking the show). If so, whatcha like? Favorite episodes? (I gotta give "Blink" a very high rating - what a wild concept!)

I just got a t-shirt with one of my favorite lines - "The angels have the phone box!"

EDIT - added in the names of the doctors along with their numbers.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 06-12-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm two seasons behind. (Got them on tape, just haven't got time to actually watch them yet.) As it happens I watched Blink just a week or so ago, we had missed it the first time around but managed to get a re-run on sy-fy channel. It's one of the best episodes I have seen so far. The concept was brilliant. "No, really! Duck!"

I've only seen the 'new' Doctor Who starting with Eccleston. I'm sure dad has got a few episodes with olde doctors, but again the bit with having had no time yet.

"Dalek" was very good, if my memory serves me right, and "Tooth and Claw" has to be one of my favorites as well.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Tooth and Claw was great fun, just for the awesome combination of Werewolf + Queen Victoria + Scotland.

You're right, Ri, 10 was far and away the best doctor, of the new series, at least (I haven't seen any of the old; 26 seasons is just too intimidating!). For a long time, I thought of 11 as just a cheap knockoff of 10, but I'm finally starting to see him as his own character.

All other things being equal, the second season is best, since it has both Doctor 10 AND Rose, the best companion.

I loved the Girl in the Fireplace.

As everyone has noted, Blink is superb. Such a shame that the re-appearance of the angels was not as good. From that same season, I remember very much liking the Family of Blood two-parter.

I did not care for the Shakespeare episode; I thought it was tedious, and tried too hard to be clever. The most recent episodes with Van Gogh was a more successful historical-artist show (though everyone in the show seemed to have a far higher opinion of Vince than I do!).

Just a few random thoughts and episodes; of course, there's a lot more there!

I keep up to date with CastTV, if anyone doesn't have a site like that.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 06-12-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

My favourite Doctors will always be William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton (numbers 1 & 2 respectively). Of the classic Doctors, Tom Baker usually gets cited a LOT, so if you are thinking about checking out classic Doctors, I'd start there (City of Death is awesome-funny). IMO, pretty much any serial with Tom Baker & Lala Ward is pure awesome sauce.

Of the new Doctors, Tennant is my favourite, but I really like the new one as well.

My favourite stories are the Blink one, and the Empty Child/Doctor Dances eps. I also like John Simm as the Master.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
As it happens I watched Blink just a week or so ago, we had missed it the first time around but managed to get a re-run on sy-fy channel. It's one of the best episodes I have seen so far. The concept was brilliant. "No, really! Duck!"
And some of those lines!! "Yeah, listen, listen, got to dash... things happening. Well... four things. Well... four things and a lizard."

Link to some great lines from "Blink"

Quote:
I've only seen the 'new' Doctor Who starting with Eccleston. I'm sure dad has got a few episodes with olde doctors, but again the bit with having had no time yet.
No kidding ...

Quote:
"Dalek" was very good, if my memory serves me right, and "Tooth and Claw" has to be one of my favorites as well.
Oh, there's lots of Daleks around I liked T&C, too. But Blink was absolutely brilliant!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 06-12-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Tooth and Claw was great fun, just for the awesome combination of Werewolf + Queen Victoria + Scotland.
It was a good combination. I thought the opening scene was great too, you have this grey and sombre scottish landscape, and within seconds suddenly there are monks in bright red clothing beating up the locals.

Quote:
For a long time, I thought of 11 as just a cheap knockoff of 10, but I'm finally starting to see him as his own character.
From what I've seen of him (which isn't a lot) he certainly seems to be trying his best. But Tennant's a bloody difficult act to follow.

Quote:
Didn't that episode win a Hugo award? I think "Blink" won the following year.

Quote:
Such a shame that the re-appearance of the angels was not as good.
Great monsters often suffer from the law of diminished returns, I think. The audience spent half the episode of "Blink" figuring out what the hell they are and what they do. Once you know that, their return can never have as much impact as they had in their first appearance.

Quote:
I did not care for the Shakespeare episode; I thought it was tedious, and tried too hard to be clever.
It was okay, I thought. I remember it mostly because I loved the ending. A pity they never followed up with why Queen Elisabeth nearly had a fit when she caught sight of the Doctor. I had been hoping we would learn why in a later episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
My favourite stories are the Blink one, and the Empty Child/Doctor Dances eps. I also like John Simm as the Master.
He was great as the Master and you can just see he's enjoying himself like mad, playing someone as deliciously evil as that. I was just a bit disappointed because I had hoped sir Derek Jacobi would stick around a little longer. Both actors really managed to send shivers down my spine as the Master.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
And some of those lines!! "Yeah, listen, listen, got to dash... things happening. Well... four things. Well... four things and a lizard."
As one-liners go, that was pretty hilarious. It also was that sort of thing I would have liked seeing more of in the third season with Martha: just hints to other adventures they were having off-screen, adventures can could be fun, rather than scary and gloomy all the time. I remember thinking during "The Lazarus Experiment" if that is the sort of adventure people have when entering the Tardis, why would anyone want to go? There was nothing to balance the monster.

Another good quote from Blink:
"Pants?"
"No."
Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Rían

Quote:
Can't go wrong with that!

Quote:
You're right, Ri, 10 was far and away the best doctor, of the new series, at least (I haven't seen any of the old; 26 seasons is just too intimidating!). For a long time, I thought of 11 as just a cheap knockoff of 10, but I'm finally starting to see him as his own character.
It seemed at first as if he were trying to be like Tennant's doctor, but he's gotten a bit better.

And as far as 11's companion: I didn't like the overt wanna-jump-him-ness of Amy (I mean, on her wedding night?!) - I've always preferred the leave-it-to-your-imagination type of thing, as with Rose and Tennant.

Quote:
All other things being equal, the second season is best, since it has both Doctor 10 AND Rose, the best companion.
Oh, ab-so-LUTE-ly! *cheers for Rose*

Quote:
Yes, that's right up there at the top with me, too - loved the whole monster-under-the-bed thing, along with mechanical saw-hands clicky thing and the mask thing - all those things that are just .... creepy ...

I usually sleep with one hand over the edge of the bed (the surgery side - it makes the shoulder more comfortable), but after that episode, I had to force myself to do it!

Quote:
As everyone has noted, Blink is superb. Such a shame that the re-appearance of the angels was not as good.
I only saw part of that one, but it was disappointing that they changed the angels - I mean, just the general Hollywood-ish idea of more is better!!! ("Hey, let's make these angels BETTER! Let's make them break people's necks!")

I mean, it was the subtleness and uniqueness of the angels' method of dispatchment that was so cool.

Quote:
From that same season, I remember very much liking the Family of Blood two-parter.
I need to re-watch that one - don't remember a lot about it. I've basically watched all of the older-newer ones (Eccleston and Tennant) once, and a couple twice.

Quote:
I did not care for the Shakespeare episode; I thought it was tedious, and tried too hard to be clever. The most recent episodes with Van Gogh was a more successful historical-artist show (though everyone in the show seemed to have a far higher opinion of Vince than I do!).
I don't remember Van Gogh - was that with Smith's doctor?

Quote:
Just a few random thoughts and episodes; of course, there's a lot more there!

I keep up to date with CastTV, if anyone doesn't have a site like that.
oh, thanks - I'll check it out.

Last edited by Rían : 06-12-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Rían

Quote:
My favourite Doctors will always be William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton (numbers 1 & 2 respectively).
I'll work my way back to them eventually. I think almost all of the episodes are available of all the doctors, except some of the first one.

Quote:
Of the classic Doctors, Tom Baker usually gets cited a LOT, so if you are thinking about checking out classic Doctors, I'd start there (City of Death is awesome-funny).
I saw one of his - some giant bug on a spaceship, and the people turning into the bug - awesome-terrible special effects, and I kept wanting to tell him to pick up the ends of his scarf because it was trailing everywhere! Wonderful 70's hair ...

Quote:
IMO, pretty much any serial with Tom Baker & Lala Ward is pure awesome sauce.
Was she Sara Jane?

EDIT - wikkied her - she's "Romana" - and a Time Lady?! Hmmm ... must see ...

Quote:
Of the new Doctors, Tennant is my favourite, but I really like the new one as well.

Yeah, Simms is wonderful. And my kids (after seeing the Child/Dance episodes) keep saying "Are you my Mummy?" to me

Last edited by Rían : 06-12-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #10
Rían

Just found this Dr Who (Tom Baker) clip with .... John Cleese!

here

Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Empty Child was a really great one. Children are already creepy, but children in gas masks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniel
From what I've seen of him (which isn't a lot) he certainly seems to be trying his best. But Tennant's a bloody difficult act to follow.
He is a hard act to follow; I think after basking in the glory that is Tennant, it may have taken me a bit to adjust to the nuances of the lesser light of Smith. Eventually, I decided that he did, in fact, have a distinct and worthwhile personality.

Quote:
Didn't that episode win a Hugo award? I think "Blink" won the following year.
I have no idea, but I wouldn't be the least surprised, on both counts.

Quote:
Great monsters often suffer from the law of diminished returns, I think. The audience spent half the episode of "Blink" figuring out what the hell they are and what they do. Once you know that, their return can never have as much impact as they had in their first appearance.
Very true. At that point, I think it's an artistic mistake to try to revive them. I wish they'd left it at just "Blink."

Quote:
A pity they never followed up with why Queen Elisabeth nearly had a fit when she caught sight of the Doctor. I had been hoping we would learn why in a later episode.
Pfft, it wouldn't be Doctor Who if all loose ends were tied up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri
And as far as 11's companion: I didn't like the overt wanna-jump-him-ness of Amy (I mean, on her wedding night?!) - I've always preferred the leave-it-to-your-imagination type of thing, as with Rose and Tennant.
I think Amy was just going through some weird stuff (well...obviously ); I think long-term her relation to the Doctor was more "noticing" than really "going after." Though who knows if that'll change, now that SPOILERRZ!!!

Quote:
Yes, that's right up there at the top with me, too - loved the whole monster-under-the-bed thing, along with mechanical saw-hands clicky thing and the mask thing - all those things that are just .... creepy ...

I usually sleep with one hand over the edge of the bed (the surgery side - it makes the shoulder more comfortable), but after that episode, I had to force myself to do it!
That is just awesome.

The clockwork bits were the best, as far as creepy-factor goes. The way the ship was being repaired also sent tiny chills up my spine, which were counter-balanced by the Doctor's horse. Just the idea of looking through a fireplace and seeing another world on the other side was also magnificent.

And, it didn't hurt that I have a soft spot for the 18th century.

Quote:
I only saw part of that one, but it was disappointing that they changed the angels - I mean, just the general Hollywood-ish idea of more is better!!! ("Hey, let's make these angels BETTER! Let's make them break people's necks!")
And more of them. "Hey, if a handful of angels is awesome, just think what an ARMY OF THEM WOULD BE!"

The one good bit of that episode was when the crack kept erasing people.

Quote:
I don't remember Van Gogh - was that with Smith's doctor?
Yes, it was the episode from last Saturday, so you probably haven't seen it unless you're quite caught up.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There are two Romanas - the second one is best.

Quote:
I'll work my way back to them eventually. I think almost all of the episodes are available of all the doctors, except some of the first one.
Most of the second doctor's eps got destroyed by the BBC (as well as some of the first), but there are still some good ones.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Just found this Dr Who (Tom Baker) clip with .... John Cleese!

here
My sister showed me that the other day! I loled quite heartily.... it's just hilarious. The woman has awesome comedic timing .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Rían

"EX-quisite!"

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Earniel

Has anyone ever seen "Dreamland"? It's an animated Doctor Who episode with Tennant's Doctor taking place in Roswell. The animation is a bit silly sometimes, but the plot is nice, it is as quotable as any Doctor Who episode, and aliens aplenty.

Quote:
The clockwork repair crew were a work of art. Sure the masks were creepy, but the gears and clockwork inside the transparant head was, as far as I 'm concerned, a really stunning design. I often day-dream about being part of a prop team on a fantasy or sci-fi film-set, sadly I don't think I have the vast oceans of imagination those people have to have to come up with all these critters. (My imagination would, I reckon, amount to a large lake, maybe a land-locked sea...)

Quote:
Was she Sara Jane?
I think the actress playing Sarah Jane is Elizabeth Sladen. She's now does the Sarah Jane Adventures, a Doctor Who spin-off series for kids. I've seen most of the three seasons so far and it's not bad at all. I find it a bit endearing, it reminds me of the sort of children adventure books I liked to read when I was young(er).

Quote:
Pfft, it wouldn't be Doctor Who if all loose ends were tied up!
There's that, but you've got to admit, it is a very interesting plot hook!

Quote:
The way the ship was being repaired also sent tiny chills up my spine, which were counter-balanced by the Doctor's horse. Just the idea of looking through a fireplace and seeing another world on the other side was also magnificent.
The way he ran into that horse and how it followed him around was genius.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #16
Gwaimir Windgem

Any one catch the latest?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #17
Rían

yeah ...

wasn't wild about it ... I wish they would have made the lizard people just a little more ... different ... not just extras in lizard suits. I wish they would have come up with some movement mannerism or something. They had that hiss thing, but I think they could have exerted their imagination a bit more.

I missed the end, though - I think
Rory dies?

Anyway, as far as identifying creepy stuff, they nailed being pulled underground. I think the vivisection thing was overkill, though ...

You?

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #18
Rían

oh, yeah - saw a Romana II episode - fun! (In fact, it was the one with the John Cleese bit!) And I felt that I had to see one of the first doctor's episodes - saw the Mayan one - eh, a bit formulaic, IMO, but interesting to see how the doctor changed over time. One thing seems to be constant, though - women love him and are willing to die for him. Interesting how the women considered appropriate for the doctor were in their 60's or so for the first doctor, who looked about in his late 60's, and how the newer doctors look younger and like their women younger, too

Last edited by Rían : 06-22-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
Gwaimir Windgem

Naw, that's not the latest, though
You're right about the end

I'm thinking about the Pandorica Opens, the first part of the season finale.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Glad you got a chance to experience class doctor who, Rian. That wasn't a very good Hartnell ep, though. I much prefer The Chase (has a Beatles clip!!), or the Space Museum (the doctor hides in a dalek exo-shell).

City of Death seriously is the most awesome dr ep of all time (no bias here). In an interesting tie-in to my beatles reference, the woman in that clip was in Help!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-23-2010 at 12:38 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote