Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-09-2020, 04:53 AM   #61
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I reckon it is. But as long as Ben keeps the lights on, we're happy to see anyone who feels like dropping by.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #62
katya
Elven Maiden

Can I reminisce a bit? Are they still serving drinks around here? Tea is ok but I could really go for some irish cream liqueur to unwind from my work day.

I remember when I first found this board, I was over the moon. The only experience I had ever had with online communities was some sketchy chat room where people were being really crude and annoying. The fact there there was a community online where people would actually talk about literature? I spent a lot of good times in this joint.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:45 AM   #63
Earniel

The bar's still open and fully stocked, yes.

*slides some irish cream liqueur over to Katya*

For me too the mere existance of places like Entmoot was an eye-opener. There are places on the internet where they're happy to discuss one specific book? Younger me was astounded. And you could join in just like that? Glorious!
Old 09-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #64
katya
Elven Maiden

What do people do nowadays? I'm in a couple online book clubs on facebook and reddit, but I'm a little disappointed in them to be honest. I want to start my own in person book club, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find people who will actually participate and also not the best time for that right now with covid. I remember my mom being in a book club when I was really little (there's actually footage of it somewhere) and it seemed pretty robust. I think people were more bored back then.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #65
Earniel

Good question. I often wonder myself. There are a lot of social media options now, but I've never found anything I liked better than old-fashioned forums. So after Entmoot declined I moved to a lively writer forum for most of my internet interactions.

I've never tried book clubs myself (my reading habits are too unreliable.) but it doesn't seem easy to find one with compatible readers.

Maybe with the pandemic book clubs (remotely then at least) find a second breath. The pandemic brought a lot of other leasurely activitities to a halt.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #66
katya
Elven Maiden

That was kind of my issue before was that I had a very specific list of books that I wanted to read and didn't want to read anything else. Lately I have been just reading whatever the monthly selection is. It is kind of fun to even read books you don't necessarily like if you are doing it from the standpoint of critiquing it. Same with like, watching Hallmark channel movies. I had fun for a while really analyzing the plot structures, the settings, looking for patterns, thinking about what they say about our culture. That said though, I have liked my recent book club selections and I'm glad I am reading them, even though they are not things I would have picked our for myself.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:17 AM   #67
Earniel

I think that's part of the appeal of book clubs: you will read books you never thought of reading before joining them. And as long as there are books you actually like among them, it's a win.

But it can also be the downfall of book clubs as they're trying to find something that will appeal to most of their members and usually pick a bestseller. So you won't actually discover that many new books you wouldn't otherwise.

Years of book analysis in school has personally soured me off looking critically at books I didn't like. For me to be able to want to spend time looking at the structure or the bones of a book, I need to like it.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #68
katya
Elven Maiden

Oooh that brings up an image of a bookclub that only reads stuff like Eat Pray Love, super "basic" stuff. There have been a few classics that I never thought about reading that I have been reading for book club though. Like I'm reading Age of Innocence right now, and I didn't actually get into it for the first couple chapters, but now I'm hooked.

I just wish I had people to talk about books with. None of my work friends are big readers, at least not that I know of, we are too busy. And I don't have much of a social life outside of work anymore.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:21 PM   #69
Earniel

Heh, I remember thinking in January: "Okay, Eärniel, your social life officially sucks. 2020 has got to be where you go out and make new friends! This will be my year!"

Oh, to have my past-me's optimism...

Heh. You gotta laugh about it. The alternative is just to darn sad.

But I agree. Having people to talk about books with would be nice. Very nice indeed.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #70
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah this is the absolute worst time to want to be going out and meeting people. I'd like to join some clubs or something, maybe volunteer somewhere, even just go out to the bar. I literally have no friends outside of work anymore. Maybe it would help if I finally had some kids and had mom friends. I'm sure moms meet each other right?
Old 10-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #71
Earniel

I dunno, I imagine having kids comes with other demands of one's time.

And one is perhaps even more limited by the social ties of one's kid, because you're going to know their friends' parents better than parents whose kid yours doesn't like or interacts with.

But I'm going to have to find something, because I can sort of feel my social skills atrophying the longer this pandemic endures. And I didn't have an amazing set before either.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 AM   #72
Earniel

I just noticed we currently have 13,333 threads on Entmoot. Fun!
Old 10-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #73
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Greetings, fellow travellers.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #74
Earniel

Hallo there, long time no see.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #75
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Hey Eärniel! Yup, long time. Happy to see the place has survived.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #76
Amael
Elven Warrior

Glad to see the lights are still on! We're all doing alright here, can't complain too much, considering. Hope you're all doing well. It's nice to drop by once in a while, at least, time permitting. And time has been a bit more permitting of late.
Amael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #77
Earniel

Well, as long as Ben sees fit to keep the lights on, I'll be sure to stock the Cafés bar, although I have to admit it is mostly chocolate and teas these days.

Hi Amael, how are Ingwe and the kids?
Old 10-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #78
katya
Elven Maiden

Hey guys, I totally forgot to check in for the past month. Work has been busy, etc. etc. Could sure use some mulled apple cider!
Old 11-01-2020, 07:37 AM   #79
Earniel

I use the email notifications, it helps remind me to drop in regularly.

Hope you guys over the pond had a nice and safe Halloween.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:25 AM   #80
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

So, the candle still burns here, if dim compared to what it once was. Hello.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote