Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2002, 12:38 AM   #41
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Arewn, I'd bet my bow and quiver that hama will work extremely diligently to MAKE it good.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:10 AM   #42
hama

Arwen,

I have wondered the same thing...more than once. As for coming out with a musical. it is still in development, though most of the music is written and a reasonably final draft of the script is complete.

If you are interested, there is a script synopsis, the first four scenes and lyrics of many of the major songs at The One Ring, the musical which you can access from the Main Page here at Tolkien Trail.

Personally, I think the music is better than the script, but that is true of virtually all musicals. Take a look. I would love to hear what you think.

Brad
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 11:26 PM   #43
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Lord of the Rings musical... hmmm... that gives me scary mind pictures... but hey, it could be good too!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:00 AM   #44
snoopy
Hobbit

Theoden

When does the Hobbit musical start? what is it about?

"Curse it! curse it! curse it!" hissed Gollum. "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we guess, we guess, my precious. He's found it, yes he must have. My birthday-present."
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 05:04 AM   #45
hama

Hobbit musical? If that is your question I have no intention of adapting the Hobbit as a musical. As for LotR, I and others are working on it right now, though we have no projected opening date as we have no firm commitment from a producer.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:07 AM   #46
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Last summer I told my cousins a LOTR musical would be cool, and they laughed at me.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 12:08 AM   #47
hama

Well have you or your cousins looked at any of the site..the synopsis, the script for act one or the lyrics. I think it would/will be cool too...but that is just my humble...okay, not THAT humble opinion. And actually, apparently a number of other posters here wthink it might be pretty cool. Do you still think it would be cool now that you have seen dome of it?
Old 05-23-2002, 06:59 AM   #48
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

I have had a look at the One Ring page and I can honestly say this is one of the most exciting things I've seen in ages. I sure hope it comes to London, I'll be there. Who needs Lloyd-Webber? Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2002, 09:06 PM   #49
hama

Thank you. I am excited about it and am gratified that others are too. Anything in particular you liked? I hope to get the rest of act two sent to Ben soon so people can see/read the whole script. London is a definite if it ever gets done. I would actually hope to open the show in London. It just seems the natural place to do it.
Old 05-26-2002, 04:54 AM   #50
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

Hey Hama,

Can't wait to see the rest of Act Two. I was very impressed with the script so far. Transferring this work to stage could be thought of as an impossible task but I can see you're not afraid to tackle it.

I also liked the way Gandalf starts things off on stage, I think that's an appropriate way to begin and will create the right atmosphere.

I wish you every possible success with your venture.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:02 AM   #51
hama1
Elven Warrior

Thank you Nienna,

Yes, alot of people think it is an impossible task. I guess I was lucky and didn't realize that when I started work on it. Yes it is an "EPIC" story but I think the imprtant elements are rather small and personal. For my LotR is about friendship, loyalty and overcoming great challenges. I think those ideas can be translated well to the stage.

As far as act 2 there will be a bit of a delay as I brought the wrong discs to Connecticut where I am doing an artist in residency program so it will have to wait until I get back to Boston or New York and can upload them to the site. However I am glad you like what you have read so far.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote