Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #41
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
post count isnt everything ya know
Yes it is.

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-13-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #42
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Ok mooters, listen to what I've found out by comparing people's post counts!

Right now the admins have disabled the Welcome thread or something, so every post posted in that thread don't count toward your post count. If you want to know your real post count, simply look at your current count and add the number of posts you've posted in the Welcome thread.

Anyway, the admins are playing around with the threads. They 'disable' the posts in the welcome thread (and probably other threads as well) or they make the posts worth twice as much.

Now admins, let me hear you say "bugger, he caught us"

If you're interested, this is how I figured it out: I chose a few number of mooters who I knew weren't posting during this post count crisis - #1AragornLover, Aden, Baby-K and Linaewen. I knew exactly how many posts they had originally.

#1Aragornlover had 24 posts. Now she has 14. She has posted 10 times in the Welcome thread. 14 + 10 = 24, which is what she had from the beginning.

Aden had 129 posts and has 126 now. 3 posts in the Welcome thread.

Baby-K had 1992 posts, 13 of which where in the Welcome thread. She has 1979 now.

Linaewen had 2579 posts. Now she has 2511 because she has 68 posts in the Welcome thread.

[edit]Oh, thanks to #1AragornLover for having so many of her (few) posts in the Welcome thread. Without her, I never would have figured this out

[edit2]This being the Tech problem forum - there were almost 400 guests at the board ten minutes ago.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 12-13-2004 at 04:20 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:33 AM   #43
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan

Right now the admins have disabled the Welcome thread...
Once again, you may believe me or not, but we're not disabling anything. In fact, I do not think it is possible to disable post-count in a single thread. You can disable a whole forum, but not a single thread, AFAIK by all the investigations that I've done since the beggining of this bug.

So,
Quote:
Now admins, let me hear you say "bugger, he caught us"
cannot say it because there's nothing to be caught from us. This is all an odd bug.

I've made some restorations of postcounts (it's a feature of the control panel), but though it has solved some peoples counts, it doesn't seem to have solved completely all problems. I'm more and more convinced that there's something buggy with those large threads (mostly with Teacup, it seems, but as you say, with the welcome too and probably others). I have to keep looking at it and have to speak about solutions with the staff. Haven't seen them around much during weekend...

Quote:
[edit2]This being the Tech problem forum - there were almost 400 guests at the board ten minutes ago.
wow If we keep at this pace we could make a macro-party for new year's.

Last edited by Fat middle : 12-13-2004 at 05:39 AM.
Fat middle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:41 AM   #44
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Wasn't able to get on much this weekend... is it fixed? I see some are saying their post counts are actually LOWER than before, instead of higher...

But some of them actually look HIGH to me... unless it was all their posts about the problem with their post counts!!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #45
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
post count isnt everything ya know
absolutely, people with high post counts just dont put the thought and wit that i put into my 1442 literary pieces
Old 12-13-2004, 11:54 AM   #46
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Heh heh, I'm looking forward to reading Entmoot Tales, by Millane Chaucer when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Wasn't able to get on much this weekend... is it fixed? I see some are saying their post counts are actually LOWER than before, instead of higher...

But some of them actually look HIGH to me... unless it was all their posts about the problem with their post counts!!
Mine looks right... I think... meh. FM is right, post count isn't everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
I've made some restorations of postcounts (it's a feature of the control panel), but though it has solved some peoples counts, it doesn't seem to have solved completely all problems. I'm more and more convinced that there's something buggy with those large threads (mostly with Teacup, it seems, but as you say, with the welcome too and probably others). I have to keep looking at it and have to speak about solutions with the staff. Haven't seen them around much during weekend...
Okay, it's a bug, I'll believe your clever denial. Just kidding I do believe you.

I could always start a Teacup II if it really becomes a problem, but I love the original thread so much! I hope it doesn't come to that.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #47
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I'm down by 22
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:14 PM   #48
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Rather interesting though that only the lengthy general threads are being targeted....
Old 12-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #49
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
mine went up yesterdaya nd now has gone down by about 250. this confuses me greatly as its definetely lower than it was int eh begining

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 PM   #50
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:

Right now the admins have disabled the Welcome thread or something, so every post posted in that thread don't count toward your post count. If you want to know your real post count, simply look at your current count and add the number of posts you've posted in the Welcome thread.
Could be, but my post count is off by one from that. I'm down 42 posts and have 43 in the Welcome thread... Unless I've forgotten how to subtract...

Quote:
I'm glad I wasn't on... I get paranoid when there are only 40!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
*paragon of innocence*

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #51
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

all those guests are cute little googlebots indexing entmoot for their nice search engine. (yes, the ip actually says googlebot)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 PM   #52
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Are they indexing every post or something?

Heh... you should add the googlebot as a member or something.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2004, 12:40 AM   #53
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

My post count is down now, but now I have 4 too few according to my 'Posts by Thain Peregrin Took I'

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #54
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The search was never really accurate anyway. Although - as far as I can remember - it usually added posts to the post account rather than subtracted from it. And does it really matters? Who cares how many posts you have.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:11 PM   #55
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

More likely than not, your post count displayed is accurate, or very close to being "accuarate"

Yes, the search posts by user feature was never perfect and often displayed fewer or more posts - and of course if you were from the ezboard, posts were added to your total and your "find all posts by user" would be significantly lower than your post count.

You shouldn't use that as an accurate tool. I mean other than the "search for posts by user" all the post counts are 100% accurate for all we know.

I don't know if an Valandil fessed up - it was a "joke"

Topics like the "Teacup Cafe" and "Welcome Thread" and "venting thread" were copied a bunch of times and put in mod forum (where you guys wouldnt be able to see em). Posts in the mod forum still count towards your post total.

It took a while copying them and and equally, if not longer time deleting them. All we did was gradually delete all the temporary copies.

That may have screwed up the post count, or not.

In any event, this was an excercize in "post counts dont matter"

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:21 PM   #56
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Here a month and already learning never to trust admins and mods

My search still shows 40 more than my post count. Where did these extra posts come from...?

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #57
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire

Here a month and already learning never to trust admins and mods
*squirms & looks embarrassed*

sorry...

Just wanted to 'kick up the dust' a little. What I ACTUALLY wanted to do was figure out a way to make everyone's post counts DROP... but I couldn't think how to do it without actually deleting threads. So I came up with the alternate scheme of making post counts soar.

Then... a botched experiment, an explosion in the lab... and it all went wrong! I first copied 'Teacup Cafe' into the mod forum. A day or so later, I did 'The Welcome Thread'... only when it finally finished, I noticed I had TWO copies on my hands in there! So - I deleted one. Later... I noticed that some people's counts didn't even show the add from the ONE Welcome Thread, so I copied it another time. Anyway - a few others got copied and later someone cleared them all out. I thought for SURE the post counts should then all be back to normal... but since they're not (and mine is off an odd amount... it's about 10-12 off what the Welcome Thread shows), I wonder if it was some 'bug' from the time I got my 'double-copy'.

So... as a mod, I can't directly mess with your post counts... but I COULD indirectly affect them by working with the threads!!

OK, OK... I feel all ashamed of myself.

*hands over a 'Valandil Dartboard' for use in the Teacup Cafe (IF it ever gets finished! )*

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-15-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:08 AM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'll take that dartboard thank you! You were on my suspect list... but now I owe HOBBIT a big apology, because he was my #1 suspect.

Valandil... the evil mod?
Quote:
Old 12-15-2004, 08:19 AM   #59
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ha ha! That darling Val is a little stinker! You go Val!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

See Elemmire, told ya it wasn't me.

Now that Tristan has spilled the beans, let's not forget that Val had a partner in crime. (Fat Middle)

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote