Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Feedback and Tech Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Lenya
Elentári

Logging out

I keep having problems with logging out. I click on Log Out and sometimes the page says there was a problem with attempting to log out. Mostly though, the page says All Cookies Cleared. No problem. But often times when I get on the internet again, after having successfully logged out the previous time, I am still logged in. How does that work?
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Lenya
Elentári

Oh, this has happened for the previous 4 times now
Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

You might want to manually clear your cookies after every visit. Or, if that would be too much trouble, clear the cookies once, uncheck the 'Remember Username and Password' box (or whatever it says -- I can't remember the last time I logged out ) and retype your name and password every time you visit.

If you have any questions about how to do any of this, just ask.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Lenya
Elentári

If I uncheck the remember me box, it doesn't want to log in. I have no idea how to clear my cookies, but it sounds like way too much effort to do. You never log out? I want to because its not just my computer & from tomorrow onwards I'm only here over the weekends - I don't want someone to think I'm here and just don't respond to them because I can't log out
Old 07-09-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Clearing cookies isn't hard at all. If you're using Internet Explorer, click on Tools at the top, then Internet Options. If you don't use Internet Explorer, you can also get there by going to your Control Panel from the Start Menu. Once in the Control Panel, you might have to click on Network and Internet Connections or you might not. You're ultimately looking for an icon that says Internet Options.

Once you get there, it's simple. After you double click on it, look in the middle of the first tab and there should be a button that says Delete Cookies. Then it will ask if you want to delete all cookies and you should click 'yes'. And voilá, you've done it.

Now when you come back to Entmoot, it shouldn't automatically log you in. As long as the 'Remember Me' box isn't checked, Entmoot shouldn't log you in when you visit.

One more thing. If you're worried about people thinking you're around but just not responding, as long as whoever uses the computer besides you doesn't visit Entmoot, it won't show that you're around. Sorry if that sentence was complicated. Even though I have a cookie that remembers me, as long as I don't have a browser open to Entmoot, I show up offline. As long as nobody else visits the website when you're not around, you won't show up.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamûl
One more thing. If you're worried about people thinking you're around but just not responding, as long as whoever uses the computer besides you doesn't visit Entmoot, it won't show that you're around. Sorry if that sentence was complicated. Even though I have a cookie that remembers me, as long as I don't have a browser open to Entmoot, I show up offline. As long as nobody else visits the website when you're not around, you won't show up.
Thank you very much for your help. I noticed that I don't show up, so it's fine. One more question though, should I clear my cookies while I'm still in Entmoot and then log out, or close the page and then clear my cookies? If the latter, won't it screw someone else having cookies elsewhere?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
Thank you very much for your help. I noticed that I don't show up, so it's fine. One more question though, should I clear my cookies while I'm still in Entmoot and then log out, or close the page and then clear my cookies? If the latter, won't it screw someone else having cookies elsewhere?
1) No (you'll need to log in again in order to post).
2) Yes. But there is an alternative.*
3) Yes.

*You can also delete the cookie specific to Entmoot.

First you need to make hidden files viewable. To do this (in XP at least), go to:

My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View

Then select the circle labled "Show hidden files and folders".

Now, to delete the Entmoot cookie, in XP (and possibly Win2K), go to:

My Computer > C: > Documents and Settings > [Your profile] > Local Settings > Temporary Internet Files

Then arrange the files by type, so that the cookie text files are grouped together, and delete the Entmoot cookie (which should be [your profile]@entmoot.tolkientrail.com).

You might want to make a shortcut to the Temporary Internet Files folder, if you want to keep hidden files hidden and avoid the above process after every visit. But that should be simple enough.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Lenya
Elentári

Thanx for the extra help, but I've learned to live with it. No one else on this computer uses Entmoot, so it's fine.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
i never log out.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #10
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Thanx for the extra help, but I've learned to live with it. No one else on this computer uses Entmoot, so it's fine.
You're welcome. We're here to help.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
No one else on this computer uses Entmoot, so it's fine.
Same with me it's why i can never be bothered to log off.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote