Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-28-2001, 09:28 PM   #1
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf Of all the main "good" characters...who was your least favorite?

Tough one, I know! I did say least favorite...so this does not mean you dislike the character. I guess mine was Merry.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:05 PM   #2
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Funny, I liked Merry. He was very common-sensical and reliable, a good guy to have around. But I guess he wasn't particularly interesting. I definitely liked Pippin better than Merry; he was a real michief-maker.

I didn't like Celeborn much. He came off as a bit haughty, both in Lord of the Rings and Unfinished Tales. I particularly disliked his grudge against the Dwarves. Poor Gimli! Yes, I know that some Dwarves from Ered Luin basically caused the fall of Doriath. Yes, I know that Elves are immortal so that a long grudge isn't such a sin in their case. But I think three ages is kind of stretching it! I didn't completely hate him, though. Galadriel seemed to like him, so I guess he couldn't have been *too* annoying.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:37 PM   #3
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Good guys least liked

I dislike Bilbo because he did'nt bother to come to Gondor either to see Aragorns wedding OR Frodo who was his cousin AND who had just gone through the most terrible pain to free the world and Bilbo was'nt there to help him just because he did'nt like packing.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:46 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

This is a hard one. Let's see. Surprisingly, I would have to say Gandalf. I liked him, but he seemed like such an old grouch. Another one would be Elrond. He just seemed like a stay at home sit on your butt kinda guy. I thought he could have done more then just council. He had one of the Rings of power. Why didn't he go with the Company, instead of a much younger and less experienced elf like Legolas. I just think he could have been more active in the quest.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:48 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

For your sake and for mine I won't pursue that one Sister. I wonder if you've discovered Elrond's relationship to Thingol ...
Old 09-28-2001, 10:52 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Very funny.
Old 09-29-2001, 06:17 AM   #7
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

I don't like Merry and Pippin. They seemed "extra" to me, with unfunny jokes and mischief. Could've been made more interesting if Merry was female, as I'd first thought. In fact, I wish either this or that they didn't exist and the Fellowship stopped at seven.
Selwythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 03:29 PM   #8
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Re:

Hi!
I’m back.

About Gandalf … well Sister, here we go again….

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 05:19 PM   #9
Banazir
Hobbit

My least favorite would have to be Pippin. He's just too childish and annoying. Actually, I can't decide between him and Bilbo. Bilbo was very boring.
And regarding Elrond 'not doing more': he *did* heal Frodo after the Nazgul-attack. Frodo would have been dead otherwise, and there would be no ring-bearer.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:27 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Banazir

And regarding Elrond 'not doing more': he *did* heal Frodo after the Nazgul-attack. Frodo would have been dead otherwise, and there would be no ring-bearer.
Yes, he did heal Frodo didn't he? But, do you think he could have been more helpful as a member of the Company? I mean he wasn't very useful after the company left his house.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:59 PM   #11
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Quote:
"Yes, he [Elrond] did heal Frodo didn't he? But, do you think he could have been more helpful as a member of the Company? I mean he wasn't very useful after the company left his house."

This is true, but wasn’t he afraid of the Ring’s influence?

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2001, 06:14 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Quote:
"Yes, he [Elrond] did heal Frodo didn't he? But, do you think he could have been more helpful as a member of the Company? I mean he wasn't very useful after the company left his house."

This is true, but wasn’t he afraid of the Ring’s influence?
Absolutely. Wasn't Gandalf as well? He was a member of the company though. Of course he was a maia, and maybe more capable of dealing with any effects of the ring. Sorry, I just didn't find Elrond to be an exciting character. He is a good guy, just a dul one.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:39 AM   #13
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Didn't Gandalf and Elrond both have one of the 3 elven rings?

Might that have something to do with them not wanting to mind the ring?
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 04:42 PM   #14
Banazir
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yes, he did heal Frodo didn't he? But, do you think he could have been more helpful as a member of the Company? I mean he wasn't very useful after the company left his house.
OK, I agree that Elrond could have done more for the Fellowship. But definitely he had his reasons not to join the quest. He was, after all, the ruler of Rivendell, and he had to mind his land & people.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:40 PM   #15
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Banazir

OK, I agree that Elrond could have done more for the Fellowship. But definitely he had his reasons not to join the quest. He was, after all, the ruler of Rivendell, and he had to mind his land & people.
This is true, but Elrond would not be the first Elf to leave his realm in the hands of resposible others to persue a worthwhile cause. What were his reasons for not joining the quest?
Old 09-30-2001, 08:59 PM   #16
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
This is true, but Elrond would not be the first Elf to leave his realm in the hands of resposible others to persue a worthwhile cause. What were his reasons for not joining the quest?
I think Elrond could not go...something to do with "The Last Alliance"...he was there once before! What about Celeborn...what a nobody!

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 10:56 PM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Old 10-01-2001, 06:03 PM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Mainly because Sister Golden Hair has smiled too much ( ), I quote here from 'Who is like the wise Elf' by Michael Martinez:

Quote:
Celeborn is called "the wise" but many readers feel he doesn't live up to his reputation. The general view seems to be that Galadriel could outmaneuver Celeborn in a one-way street, or lead him any way she pleases. Galadriel only really outshines Celeborn in one scene, but she does get her own scene with Frodo and Sam, whereas Celeborn sits back and lets Galadriel do most of the work in ferreting out the Fellowship's motives and intentions.

It is Celeborn, however, who understands and acknowledges the implications of the Fellowship's actions or indecision. Galadriel is praised for her gentle admonishment to Celeborn when he regrets his welcome of Gimli and his companions, upon learning that a Balrog dwells near the border of Lorien. But Celeborn does quickly assess the danger to his people: if the Balrog had been roused by the Dwarves, then it plainly might follow the Fellowship into Lorien. Gandalf, too, seems to have understood what could happen -- and that is why he sacrifices himself. There is no other way to prevent the Balrog from achieving whatever end it has in mind. Frodo and the Ring are in the gravest peril from the Balrog, and even Lorien's Elves wouldn't be able to protect him.

Celeborn also perceives the doubt and confusion in Aragorn, when it is time for the Fellowship to depart from Lorien, and therefore Celeborn gives Aragorn some extra time to think by providing the Company of the Ring with boats. The boats allow Aragorn to defer his choices for at least a few more days. But Celeborn, like Elrond before him, engages in a bit of foresight. When the Fellowship leaves Rivendell, Elrond and Gimli exchange truisms about oaths and abiding by them. Their words foreshadow events to come.

In a similar, though briefer exchange, Boromir elicits a warning from Celeborn concerning Boromir's mistrust of old wives tales. Those old wives, Celeborn points out, often remember things that were once important to know. Although Fangorn Forest is the subject of Boromir's scoffing, it is an old wife in Minas Tirith, Ioreth, who later on recalls rhymes of lore which inspire Gandalf to bring Aragorn into Minas Tirith to heal Merry, Eowyn, and Faramir (and, ultimately, many of the city's sick people -- thus endearing Aragorn to the population and proving that he is the rightful king).

Celeborn thus exhibits a perception unlike Galadriel's, yet proves he is one of the Wise. But his wisdom lies in his shrewd ability to judge people's needs and address those needs. Galadriel's wisdom is more a wisdom born of long and sad experience. She has learned the bitter lessons history has to teach, and she is wiser for such experience. Galadriel and Celeborn complement each other, but neither is strikingly superior to the other. Celeborn is, in fact, quite decisive, whereas Galadriel is deliberative and cautious.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:52 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Gosh Inoldonil, you didn't have to go to all that trouble because of me , I read this at Suite 101. Very interesting article. I don't think Celeborn is not wise, I just don't like him. He reminds me of another guy from the First Age who shall remain nameless.

Btw, I bought Morgoth's Ring today. I'm soooooo happy!!!

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair : 10-01-2001 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 05:28 PM   #20
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

So you don't like him because he reminds you of the nameless guy (no, I won't mention Elwe either -- oops! )? In what way? Must be the tallness, the silver hair, the political power and the racism. Er, never mind, I'm not sure what I'd be arguing about assuming I chose to. That won't do.

Anyway the quote might serve to show some people that the Lord of the Galadhrim was not a nobody.