Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

almost done - I still love it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I would like to hear people's opinions about this theme in Paradise Lost:
Milton depicts Adam and Eve in a blissful state of ignorance or rather innocence in Heaven. They fell because they seeked too much knowledge. This is a Christian theme, too, but I got the impression that Milton put a lot of emphasis on it. So what do you people think of this? Is knowledge a bad and evil thing? Should it be pursued with moderation, or without any limits at all?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I respectfully but strongly disagree with this opinion - "They fell because they seeked too much knowledge."

Can't elaborate now, but will later

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 07-24-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
Jabberwock
Enting

Milton

I have to agree. Paradise Lost is an amazing piece of literature. It is, however, a daunting subject for a second year university course, which I didn't do so well in. I didn't realize when I signed up for 17th C. Lit, that the whole first simester was Paradise Lost. Hehe. I have to correct on poster here, about Milton's blindness and the secretary. He didn't trust anyone but his daughters to do the secretarial work, so, since he wrote a lot in latin, he taught them enough to copy for him, and basically forced them to remain in his house and be secretaries for him until he finished his writing, which took forever (several years). At least this is what they taught us in university. So, Mr Milton was a great poet, but he was a real jerk when it came to the treatment of his daughters. I mean, he didn't even take the time to actually teach them to speak or read latin, he just taught them enough that they could write it for him. Of course, Im guessing that they inherited something good after he kicked the bucket.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I respectfully but strongly disagree with this opinion - "They fell because they seeked too much knowledge."

Can't elaborate now, but will later
I see what you're saying (or trying to say ); their sin was disobedience of God's orders. But what were these orders? To avoid eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. God forbade them access to knowledge, so my question is: how would you view this, does this mean we have to stop all pursuit of knowledge and live our lives just like that? I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I'd rather hear other people's opinions first.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
Rían

Beren, does your version have reference numbers? If so, read book III:92-134; IV:220-222, and IV:411-439. I think that sheds some light on the question.

I don't think God forbade them access to knowledge at all. And the word "know" is not just head knowledge; it's more like "know from personal experience". I "know" (have a head knowledge) what rape is; however I pray to God I'll never "know from personal experience" what rape is. Do you see what I mean?

And IMO, the "seeking knowledge" thing was only an excuse; I think their real motive was the same as Satan's - to be God - and this is impossible. Look at the details of how Satan tempted Eve. And then look at VIII:412-416. It's impossible for anyone to be God, except God. What Satan is saying (and remember his MOTIVE - to kill and destroy) is throw away what God made you as, and what He gave you - Paradise! - for something that is impossible to attain, and the attempt causes only grief.

This is a great topic, but unfortunately I usually can't post on weekends, and we're leaving for a camping trip to the beach on Wednesday. I'd love to discuss it - I'll check in as often as possible until Wed., then get my thoughts lined up for next week, when I"m back

BTW, I see you live in UAE; is English your second language, or first, or what? In a discussion like this, words are very important, and it will help me to know if English is your native language or not. If it ISN'T your native language, you sure speak it well!

Again, I wish I could write more now, but I have to go shopping to get food for the trip! But anyway, it's a start.

Last edited by Rían : 07-26-2004 at 04:14 PM.