Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I could see it if he seriously messed up Beorn.

I still can't wait to see the Battle of Five Armies. For this one, I hope PJ does make so that the majority of the movie contains the battle. Yes!

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-27-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

yeah... the battle of the five armies would be good to see... as well as mirkwood.... i always liked that place

if he does, i think he should use the cast that he used for the LotR movies... so he should bring back ian holm as bilbo etc. i hate it when films change their cast half way through... if it's for a triliogy or something... it just ruins it, even if the actors were rubbish in the first place!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Well they better hurry up. Old Ian Holm is getting on a bit lol.

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

yeah but they did a good job making him look young in the fellowship. its the movies. they can almost do everything now. lol. especially with selotape. lol.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 02-07-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

It does seem questionable to have Ian Holm as Bilbo, but they'd put much more effort and research into it in The Hobbit, and remember, Bilbo was middle-aged, not a young hobbit, in The Hobbit, so, if done immediately after PJ finishes King Kong, it could be possible to cast him.

Oh, and they could have a great comic conclusion with Bilbo and Gandalf coming back to see Bilbo's stuff being sold off, especially his run-in with the S-B's.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 02-07-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:57 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
It does seem questionable to have Ian Holm as Bilbo, but they'd put much more effort and research nto it in The Hobbit, and remember, Bilbo was middle-aged, not a young hobbit, in The Hobbit, so, if done immediately after PJ finishes King Kong, it could be possible to cast him.

Oh, and they could have a great comic conclusion with Bilbo and Gandalf coming back to see Bilbo's stuff being sold off, especially his run-in with the S-B's.
In the Hobbit Bilbo looks the same as he did in LotR. Gandalf specifically states that he looks as if hasn't aged a day since he last saw him some 60 years prior. So it is very reasonable that Bilbo would look the same as he did in the Fellowship. Even when they showed him in the prologue of finding the ring, he looked maybe a few years younger than he did later on in the Fellowship, so it was obvious to me that the issue of Ian Holm's age really shouldn't be a concern at all, but I think they do need to cast him if they end of making this film...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dúnedain
In the Hobbit Bilbo looks the same as he did in LotR. Gandalf specifically states that he looks as if hasn't aged a day since he last saw him some 60 years prior. So it is very reasonable that Bilbo would look the same as he did in the Fellowship. Even when they showed him in the prologue of finding the ring, he looked maybe a few years younger than he did later on in the Fellowship, so it was obvious to me that the issue of Ian Holm's age really shouldn't be a concern at all, but I think they do need to cast him if they end of making this film...
But according to the book 60 years ago wasn't the last time he saw bilbo! he supposedly popped in when he was near the shire to say hi
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

Strider

I read somewhere (can't remember where!) that tolkien wrote the simarillion as Middle earth's bible so itwould be hard for someone to turn it into a film unless they only concentraited on one accpect eg beren and luthiun

If anyone thinks I'm speaking rubbish Just say I don't mind Lol
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Well I've been trying to figure something out for the past couple of months. A guy that I sort of dated at the start of last year, went to a drama collage down in London and well we talked alot about LotR and The Hobbit. And he mentioned one day, when I had been talking about the rumours that I had heard about The Hobbit Movie, that he was going to an important audition very soon. Now he couldn't tell me what for. But he hinted at either Star Wars or The Hobbit. A while later he told me that soon he was leaving London for somewhere near Australia. Meaning that it still could be either Star Wars or The Hobbit !!!
Unfortunatly we lost contact and I have no idea where he is or what he's doing.
But it could fit. I would imagine that if there was auditions being held for The Hobbit, they may be kept in secret considering the populatity of the recent LotR's movies.
Just a thought to bear in mind.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
DaughterofKings
Sapling

Well, it looks like The Hobbit movie is coming to town!
And Peter Jackson is nowhere to be found!

http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/
DaughterofKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

Nazgul

lol, i know, i saw that; it was an april fools joke! i get the newsletter from TORN, and they had me going for about 30 seconds, until i read the next newsletter, where they revealed the joke
however, if you click on the link you posted, there's a campaign going to send petitions to New Line to let them know that we all want a Hobbit movie (well, most of us, anyhow )
you can start sending letters tomorrow (april 5), and i don't know about anyone else, but i'm going to put in my 2 cents

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #12
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

if he [PJ] does make the hobbit,
i plan on ambushing him somewhere,
so that a) he keeps it to the book a
bit better and b) he casts me as either
the Goblin King, or the Voice of Smaug

although i would be equally good as a
dwarf as i am fairly short, and can do
a very good scots accent, being part irish
anyway
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #13
kiddstodd
Hobbit

i have a cast i think would be good
Gandalf - Ian Mckelen
Bilbo- Ian Holm
Thorin- the guy how plays dumbledor in harry Potter #3
Thranduil- Orlando Bloom
Elrond- the guy who played him in lotr
Gloin- John Reyes-Davies

and thats all i can think of
kiddstodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:50 AM   #14
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by kiddstodd
i have a cast i think would be good
Gandalf - Ian Mckelen
Bilbo- Ian Holm
Thorin- the guy how plays dumbledor in harry Potter #3
Thranduil- Orlando Bloom
Gloin- John Reyes-Davies

and thats all i can think of
That could be a little tricky!! It would require some fast costume changes and clever photography!! However, I'm sure Ian McKellen would be up to the task!!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:14 AM   #15
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by kiddstodd
Hugo Weaving
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #16
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds15030.html

The making of the film The Hobbit is one step closer. It may not be too long from now that it will begin production! I hope Peter Jackson and company set out to do the direction and production. I would hope to see Sir Ian McKellan return as Gandalf the Grey, Ian Holm as Young Bilbo, Hugo Weaving as Lord Elrond. I was also thinking that since Gimli's father sets out with the company of the Hobbit, perhaps Mr. John Rhys-Davies can(in different attire and makeup) portrey Gloin! I am pretty sure that at the Coronation of Aragorn in The Return of the King we see a breif image of Lord Thranduil of Mirkwood, perhaps the same man will play Thranduil in the Hobbit as well.(and perhaps we will get a cameo apperance of Legolas of the woodland realm!?) Finally I can't wait to see this film come out, the Balrog looked awsome in The Lord of the Rings, Smaug will look incredible no doubt!

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #17
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

oh yes! i would love to see that film! ian mckellan as gandalf of course, but i think that ian holm is too old to play bilbo, sad to say.
but PJ is producing 'king kong' isn't he? i don't think the film is out in cinemas before 2008-2010. but i rather wait some years instead of a film which really sucks.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #18
Halbarad of the Dunedain
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pytt
oh yes! i would love to see that film! ian mckellan as gandalf of course, but i think that ian holm is too old to play bilbo, sad to say.
but PJ is producing 'king kong' isn't he? i don't think the film is out in cinemas before 2008-2010. but i rather wait some years instead of a film which really sucks.

Ian Holm may be too old for young Bilbo, but perhaps makeup and wardrobe could help that. If not who would be a good replacement? I think that someone similar to Billy Boyd. Boyd's Pippen I thought would look similar(not exactlly) to young Bilbo. Of course I don't think they should use Boyd. Also Peter Jacksons film King Kong is set to release in 2005. So Filming could begin as soon as late '05 for The Hobbit, if the rights change to NewLine Cinema. Filming for a movie like The Hobbit would not take as long as the three part Lord of the Rings and so could possibly be out as soon as late 2006, perhaps for another Holiday big shot! 2008-2010 is a little off as I see it, but it all really depends on the rights being sold.

Interesting little side note, Andy Serkis(Gollum/Smeagol) will be playing the parts of King Kong and Lumpy the Cook.

"I want to see pretty people doing ugly things..." ~ Unknown

"Damn it n' such!" ~ Stewie Griffen

Last edited by Halbarad of the Dunedain : 08-09-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Halbarad of the Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM   #19
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

i didn't now how far they had come with 'king kong', but then it change a little bit.