Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-10-1999, 12:16 AM   #1
bmilder

The Animated Movie

What did you think of it? I thought it had its moments, but overall was a bit disappointing. I think it was the best of all the animated movies set in Tolkien's world, though. The "cuteness" fit in with the themes of the Hobbit, but that weird RotK movie didn't really benefit from it. Also, it was very weird in the RotK movie the way it referred to the Hobbit movie, since it was made by the same company, and not the previous LotR movie...
Old 10-11-1999, 12:59 AM   #2
Darth Tater

Re: The Animated Movie

Thank the maker I've never seen any of them!
Old 11-03-1999, 06:48 PM   #3
Elrond

I don't know which one u r talking about... I saw the one which got as far as cirith ungol and then they ran out of money or something... All these movies of tolkien stuff I've seen r so depresing, I can't realy get exited about the new one, although it does sound hopeful
Old 11-04-1999, 05:33 AM   #4
Lost in Coruscant

I saw "The Hobbit" put out by some company that's putting it out again as some special anniversary edition. No, I haven't seen it. I fell asleep in the middle of it... Wow, it stinks!
Old 11-04-1999, 11:00 PM   #5
ArwenUndomiel02

i watched the one that went about half-way. i lost interest becasue they skipped me.... arwen
Old 11-14-1999, 12:40 AM   #6
calain

so was there ever a second part made for that strange half-movie?
Old 12-04-1999, 02:39 AM   #7
Gimli the Dwarf

Thats what I want to know, it ends at Helms' Deep, with Gandalf throwing is sword around or something. did they make another? Maybe it sold so bad they didn't have the funds. Those movies are so dumb!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-1999, 10:34 PM   #8
Lauren Weasley

I've never seen any of these movies, but I probably wouldn't want too.
Old 01-16-2000, 04:02 AM   #9
MASTER Z

I dont care what you guys think, But I thought the movie made on the hobbit was cool. The artwork is original and gives you the feeling of the book.
Old 01-16-2000, 03:52 PM   #10
anduin

MASTER Z, welcome to Entmoot I also like the animated Hobbit, it serves it purpose as a film for children. I also like Bakshi's LOTR. I love his use of film and animation, I only wish that it had been finished. Why would someone start something like that and not finish it? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that it wasn't complete.
Old 01-19-2000, 02:40 AM   #11
Lauren Weasley

maybe I WOULD like it, but based on what movies based on books I've seen, I doubt it, they take far to many liberties.
Old 04-28-2000, 09:34 PM   #12
Yazad

Personally, I found the two Rankin Bass movies (The Hobbit and The Return of the King) a little too geared towards kids for my liking. The art was kind of neat in some parts. So as Anduin said, as kids movies they're not bad and maybe a decent way to introduce youngsters to Tolkien. The only bit problem is that they'll spend the rest of their lives seeing Gollum as a mutated frog.

Also, for as much maligned as it's been, I thought the Bakshi version of the Lord of the Rings was actually quite good. Of course it has the notable deficiency of being cut off in the middle, and as ever glances over many great details. But overall, I thought it was a fine interpretation. I particularly liked their portrayal of Strider and the Mines of Moria incl. the Balrog. And I've always adored the score, which is vastly underrated.

The problem with movies is that they're so rare that, generally, when one is done it's assumed that that's it. I'd love to see scores of different films done showing different directors' interpretations of the novels. Some would emphasize one aspect and some others. And then we could all choose which film is our favorite rather than having to say "The Hobbit movie sucked"

Yazad
Old 04-29-2000, 08:29 PM   #13
Finduilas

I didn't start with the movie, but my first copy of the Hobbit was the Rankin-Bass Illustrated version. I don't care too much for either of the Rankin Bass movies, but I do like the songs in them.
Old 05-06-2000, 05:41 AM   #14
Elfling

*Elfling lists the things he hated about the Rankin Bass Movies*

1. Animation was worse than my dead grandmother's.
2. Just about every character was horribly conceived.
3. The "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" song was atrocious.
4. Don't even get me started on the Nazgul (and their flying ---HORSES<--(?!)... pardon me but in Tolkien's description they were more like pterydactls (sp?) than anything shown there)
5. In short, everything sucked.

BTW, I thought the Bakshi movie was great. I especially enjoyed animation of Frodo, Gollum, and the Nazgul, but I was pained that their budget didn't allow them to continue... such a pity.

But I'm just spouting off... continue your peaceful discussions.
Old 05-06-2000, 02:41 PM   #15
The One Hobbit

I feel increasingly lucky that I decided not to watch the Rankin Bass Hobbit when I had a chance. It does sound an atrocious bit of work, and from the pictures I've seen, it lives up to it. I did see the Bakshi 1/2 LoTR, but was not terribly impressed by it. The rotoscoping just didn't work out too well.
Old 05-06-2000, 07:59 PM   #16
Finduilas

I agree completely about the Rankin-Bass RoTK movie. As far as I am concerned, there is a difference between artistic licence and rewriting the story completely.
Old 08-03-2000, 03:31 AM   #17
Grand Admiral Reese

I've never seen any of them.
Old 08-05-2000, 05:59 PM   #18
Gilthalion

I thought the best thing about THE HOBBIT by Rankin-Bass was the casting of John Huston as the voice of Gandalf. His voice and manner, to me, seems to fit Gandalf perfectly.
Old 03-30-2001, 12:07 AM   #19
HotaruTomoe

Call me crazy...

*listens to a chorus of voices say, "You're crazy!"*

...but I liked the Rankin/Bass version of The Hobbit. Their version of Return of the King I'm not to sure about. Personally I liked Roddy McDowall voicing Samwise, but for now that's about it.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:42 AM   #20
Lief Erikson

My sister disliked it, and I've got pretty nearly the same tastes as her when it comes to movies. She said it ruined it. :l