Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

The Lord of the Rings Discussion, Book II, Chapter 5

The Bridge of Khazad-dûm

We open with the Fellowship facing Balin's tomb, a grim monument to the ill-fated attempt to retake Khazad-dûm for the dwarven people. As someone close to Bilbo, and a dwarf Frodo met himself, the hobbit is reminded once again of the true dangers facing himself and his companions. After some inspection, Gandalf comes across a record kept by the dwarven expedition which, though greatly damaged, details the five-year history of Balin's reign beneath the Misty Mountains. They learn that they are now standing in the Chamber of Mazarbul, which helps Gandalf to get their bearings, and also that mithril was rediscovered in the mines. Knowing the dangers involved, one wonders if the quest for mithril was the driving force behind Balin's obsession to retake Moria. May this have blinded him to what was in all likelyhood a lost cause from the start?

The text later details the death of Balin by an orc arrow and the subsequent fight to the last by the remaining dwarves beseiged within the mines of Moria. After reading Gandalf makes the comment that "the time is not come yet" for the retaking of Moria. Maybe a bit of foretelling on his part that one day a time will come?

With their direction set, the Fellowship prepares to depart when the drums begin, a rolling boom from the depths, also mentioned in the dwarven text as a signal of the coming of the orcs. They decide to face off the initial onslaught then seal the door through which they entered, leaving an exit route via a smaller door in the back of the chamber. Gandalf stuns the oncoming orcs with a blast of light for a moment, noticing a few black Uruks of Mordor in the process, but they are unable to jam the doorway and have to face off with a group of orcs who make it to the chamber. Frodo wounds the troll at the door, and the Fellowship make fairly quick work of the first few that enter, the rest quickly retreating in fear for the moment. But before exiting through the back door, an orc chieftain enters and seems to skewer Frodo with his spear. This attention to the ringbearer as well as the presence of Mordor orcs makes one wonder if Sauron may very well have some communication with the denziens of Moria.

Killing the chieftain, they make their exit with Frodo carried by Aragorn, who soon finds that the hobbit has miraculously survived the spear thrust. With no time for explanations, Gandalf tells them that he will hold the door, sealing it with some magical incantations. To his surprise he is faced by the powerful counter-spell of a being that he had "not met before". Fortunately, though draining to the wizard, the contest of magics brings the chamber down on their pursuers. Following the tunnel down, they eventually come to a large chamber before a narrow bridge that leads out of the mines. They turn back and notice that the path they had intended to follow is blocked by a flaming fissure and would have been a trap had they gone the other route.

Turning for the bridge again they hear the sound of drums and orcs approaching once more. There are trolls carrying stones to bridge the flaming fissure, but the presence which puts a touch of fear even to Gandalf's mind is a shadowy man-like form, wreathed in flame and wielding a flaming sword and whip. It's a fallen ainu out of arda's earliest days... a Balrog! Gandalf immediately assesses the futility of the entire Fellowship taking it head on and tells the rest to flee for the gate while he faces the Balrog on the bridge.

As the creature approaches, Gandalf issues his challenge: "'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still and a silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!'" Most likely a reference to Gandalf's serving Eru and the Flame Imperishable, and calling upon the Balrog's ancient service to Melkor, Lord of Utumno (aka Udûn). I had not noticed before, but in this passage Tolkien capitalizes "Shadow", maybe a reference to Melkor, who he would prefer to not name directly.

The Balrog steps on the bridge before Gandalf and swings his flaming sword, but it is met and shattered by Glamdring. At this point Aragon and Boromir decide to assist, but before they can move Gandalf strikes the narrow bridge and shatters it beneath the feet of the Balrog. The creature plunges into the fissure below, but manages to tangle it's whip about the wizard's feet, dragging Gandalf along to the dismay of the Fellowship. Aragorn, realizing their leader is lost, leads them all to the gates and Dimrill Dale beyond, where the sun is shining to thwart any immediate pursuit by the orcs.

I remember reading this for the first time and paging through the rest of the book in hopes of Gandalf's return. Since "the Fellowship" was all I had at the time, I was keenly saddened by the loss of Gandalf, certainly a favorite, if not "the favorite" character of mine in the series. Luckily, there is another book.

I also wonder if Gandalf's breaking of the bridge, as opposed to pursuing a more direct confrontation with the Balrog who he seemed to be doing well against, was spurred on by the decision of Aragon and Boromir to join in the fight. Either way, certainly one of the most exciting, and tragic, chapters in the series.

Lothlórien on the way... soon.