Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Okami

I was just wondering if anyone else has played this game for the PS2. Because IMO everyone should.

The game is Okami, where your character is a wolf/god who battles through a world and defeats dungeons and monsters to gain magic items and techniques that will help later on. If you are a fan of the Zelda series I highly recommend this game.

It has all the charm of a Zelda title. There are main quests in dungeons or cities and enough side-quests to keep you entertained for hours. You can interact with townsfolk and people around the world for quests or mini-games. As you gain more powers you will be able to explore more areas of the world and retrieve more items.

Gameplay-wise, the control is similar to what you'd find in an adventure game. Movement and camera look, jump, tackle/attack, action/talk, and bite are the main controls. There is a leveling system which actually works very well within the game. For completing certain quests or tasks you gain god favor which you can use to purchase your actual character upgrades. In addition, as you progress through the game you gain better weapons, and can learn new techniques of attack. The main feature to the game however is the brush powers you will recieve, which will allow you to perform a wide variety of special actions. The quest for all these powers is central to the main storyline so I won't go into detail, but this addition to all the rest of the in-game material is what really makes the gameplay unique. In other words, defeating enemies or finding your way onto a distant ledge always requires a good bit of imagination with all these techniques at your disposal. The puzzles are never dull and most big monster fights require a bit of creativity in order to defeat them efficiently.

Besides all the gameplay related topics, the one area where this game really sets itself apart is with the graphic design and artwork. Its thick-lined ink artwork is simply beautiful and keeps the world fresh and alive. The vivid colors are bright without being annoying like in other games. IMO the contrast between darks and lights is perfect at all points in the game. This game is great proof that you don't need super graphics to have a game that looks spectacular.

Simply put, a game with this much material should not be missed. Please don't pass this game up just because Zelda; Twilight Princess is coming out in a few days. Not only is this game probably the last good game that will come out for the PS2, but it's also one of the best games of its genre.

bleh, I didn't actually plan on writing a review type thing. But this game is just so good I want everyone to get a chance to see it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 11-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote