Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

do you like your movies full screen or wide screen?

So, do you like your movies full screen or wide screen for your VHS and/or DVD movies?

All my VHS tapes are in full screen (didn't have much choice in it - my mom hated wide screen and she bought them).

So far though, all my DVDs are in widescreen (like 5-6)

I prefer wide screen - you get the whole screen, the way it was seen in the theater. With fullscreen, the ends of the film are cut off and people elongated and distorted.

Your thoughts?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Definitely widescreen. I used to prefer fullscreen, but since I realized that I was missing things with it, I've gone over to the widescreen side.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:25 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Widescreen all the way, baby! I can't stand the thought that I might be missing detail due to the movie being cut to fit a standard tv screen.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 PM   #4
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Oh, WIIIIIIDE-screen, totally! I don't really like that everything is smaller, but it's better than missing stuff. Watching movies is a hobby to me, and wide-screen is closer to actually going to the movies, therefore, closer to perfection. Not to mention when a shot needs to be seen in wide-screen to get all of it, and it has to pan back and forth... I don't really like that. So, definately widescreen.

My parents didn't do DVDs for the longest time, so most of my movies are VHS, and full-screen. Now that we have dvds, though, most of them are widescreen.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It depends, most of the time I don't notice anything wrong with full screen. And on some TV's widescreen becomes so tiny because of the two black bands above and under the film. It's a waste of perfectly good screen space if you ask me.

So full screen, except on big screens, then I'd prefer widescreen.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Widescreen all the way, baby! I can't stand the thought that I might be missing detail due to the movie being cut to fit a standard tv screen.
me too!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #7
dawningoftime
Enting

I prefer widescreen because you whether you realise it or not you actaully lose some of the action when its formatted for full screen.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:18 AM   #8
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Widescreen ONLY. I used to have arguments with people because they actually thought the film was being cut off because of the black at the tops and bottoms. I always used to try to explain why that was and that actually the full screen is the version being cropped. I had pan-scan versions. You lose a lot of cinematic affect in a lot of movies when you can't see the full scenary or see all the characters speaking, or the behind the scenes action.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #9
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i have to have 'full-screen', i don't have a widescreen tele, so if i get widescreen, i get black areas both to the north and south of the picture
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

It's not widescreen that gets cropped, it's the full screen ones that are! Duh. Otherwise widescreen movies would feature headless and footless actors.

I like widescreen if I'm watching it on a large enough television. Otherwise, I like full screen. Also, I sometimes get distracted by the black bars, so I like full screen better for that. But I hate it when you can tell a movie has been cropped to fit full screen, like in the full screen version of "Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail". The "L" is cut off on the title screen. There's a movie I don't want to miss any details. I mostly like widescreen the best.

(All this rambling indicates stop procrastinating and go cook some lunch already! )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
i have to have 'full-screen', i don't have a widescreen tele, so if i get widescreen, i get black areas both to the north and south of the picture
If you think you are getting cut off with wide screen - then watch the wide screen and the full screen of Lord of the Rings and compare the difference between the two. The black bars is only because a theatrical movie is longer (width wise) than a tv program. When they convert a theatrical movie to wide screen - they need to crop 1/3 of the movie. They do this by using a technique called pan and scan. When a person is talking for instance in a group, in the theatrical version you may see the entire group. In the full screen - they are forced to highlight the person who is speaking and cut out the others in a group. This leaves you without seeing the reactions and facial expressions of the other actors to what the person is saying.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #12
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I prefer to watch it as the director intended it to be shown. I don't mind watching a 16:9 or even a 2.35:1 film on my 4:3 set. My next TV will definitely be a widescreen set.

Last edited by Andúril : 10-12-2004 at 06:11 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:40 AM   #13
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
If you think you are getting cut off with wide screen - then watch the wide screen and the full screen of Lord of the Rings and compare the difference between the two. The black bars is only because a theatrical movie is longer (width wise) than a tv program. When they convert a theatrical movie to wide screen - they need to crop 1/3 of the movie. They do this by using a technique called pan and scan. When a person is talking for instance in a group, in the theatrical version you may see the entire group. In the full screen - they are forced to highlight the person who is speaking and cut out the others in a group. This leaves you without seeing the reactions and facial expressions of the other actors to what the person is saying.
Thanx, JD, most informative
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:59 PM   #14
Rose
Sapling

I prefer widescreen, but only have full screen tvs. So unless it's a movie, I'm usually watching regular ol' tv. When it comes to movies, though, I find that widescreen is best (provided the monitor isn't too small that the widescreen gets too little to make out).
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #15
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i prefer widescreen, but i have anoterh question. I have a widescreen tv and when i watch a widescreen mpvie i still get the bars. does anybody know why that is?

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollum9630
i prefer widescreen, but i have anoterh question. I have a widescreen tv and when i watch a widescreen mpvie i still get the bars. does anybody know why that is?
The DVD has to be in anamorphic Widescreen - so check that. It should say on the bavk where it gives all the specs.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-20-2004, 07:38 PM   #17
jerseydevil

Actually - anamorphic means that extra lines are added during the vertical stretch when viewed on a wide screen tv. Here is a good site I found which describes pan/scan and widescreen though.

Anamorphic widescreen

It seems as if a wide screen tv still is not as wide as many movies and that is why there is the black bars still top and bottom. Here is another site that shows this..

What's an anamorphic DVD?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #18
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

k, thanks for the info JD

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #19
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Three words:

Original Aspect Ratio.

If it was done in 4:3, watch it in 4:3. If it was done in anamorphic 16:9, watch it in 16:9. If it was done in CinemaScope 2.35:1 as a great deal of movies are these days, watch it that way.

If you don't like the black bars, get a widescreen television display.

Why this is even up to debate is a question that can only be answered by consumer ignorance. Cropping a widescreen film into pan-and-scan is like reading a book with every third descriptive paragraph surgically removed because you find them peripheral to the action.

It's butchery, and it's indefensible.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:05 AM   #20
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Widescreen ONLY. I used to have arguments with people because they actually thought the film was being cut off because of the black at the tops and bottoms. I always used to try to explain why that was and that actually the full screen is the version being cropped.
I can imagine that. Definitely the way things are in this respect is counter intuitive. I also definitely like the widescreen better.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote