Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Bush Reveals Al-Qaeda Plot.

Link.
George Bush reveals an al-Qaeda plot to fly a plne into Library Tower, LA, in 2002.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Im guessing they are implying (but refusing to say) that it was unwarrented domestic spying that foiled this attack right?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Funny...great timing, right when his poll numbers dropped. I am probably betting alongside IR.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Im guessing they are implying (but refusing to say) that it was unwarrented domestic spying that foiled this attack right?
I don't think that Bush has made that claim. Though it does seem to make logical sense that greater spying access will increase our ability to counter terrorism. The question is how much access is too much. The Patriot Act also has been used to foil terrorism attempts. I think I heard that it was used to disrupt several terrorist cells. Back when I was researching the Patriot Act to present a speech on it for college . . .

I'm very grateful that President Bush's policies have successfully warded off terror from our shores for all this time. I know more terrorist attacks are going to get through eventually, but this defense against terror is wonderful for our nation.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

It would be very ironic if Bush lost his NSA program to the dems, and then we had an attack. Guess who'd be reelected AGAIN!

The timing is fishy, but still.

A lot of liberal columnists keep harping on about how illegal the spying program is, though really the only thing they can seem to boil down to is how much they hate Bush. If the special courts had approved it, it would be the same thing it is now. OK, so it's illegal. What now? Will we special court it, and put it back to work? Or ditch it?
Bush doesn't want to hear the conversations you have with your girlfriend about football, and other things...I'm sure the whole thing is a much lesser deal than we make it out to be.
I've got nothing to hide.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
It is would be very ironic is Bush lost his NSA program to the dems, and then we had an attack. Guess who'd be reelected AGAIN!
If we get a liberal Democratic president who tries to ensure the freedoms of our country more by removing the Patriot Act, pulling out of Iraq and cancelling many of Bush's anti-terror programs, I am certain there would be terrible bloodshed in our land as a consequence.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

two (rather OT) comments -

I figured they'd be aiming in LA's direction sometime soon ...

(on the bright side - maybe they'll hit Hollywood! )

and ...

I just love Arabic script!

and an interesting thought - was it "unwarranted" if it stopped a terrorist attack? Illegal is another question, of course.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an

Lol.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Funny...great timing, right when his poll numbers dropped.
You would have been able to say that on any other day. His poll numbers aren't going anywhere good, ever.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:04 AM   #10
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
You would have been able to say that on any other day. His poll numbers aren't going anywhere good, ever.
.....Point. Still, y'never know with this goofy bunch. Oh well, if they hit, they hit, one way or another.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

LOL Rian.

I think we can be assured that if it was as a result of domestic spying we would have been told about it. From what I've read, it was from the operations by foreign nations.

It's classic doublethink: if there's no attack, it's because the policies are working; if there's an attack, it justifies the need for the policies.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 02-10-2006 at 05:05 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It's classic doublethink: if there's no attack, it's because the policies are working; if there's an attack, it justifies the need for the policies.
No, it's "if there are attacks (successful or unsuccessful), this justifies the need for the policies." If there are few successful attacks, this shows the policy is working. If a large proportion of the attacks are successfully carried out, this shows that there is a problem with the policy. Perhaps the policy is just not useful, or perhaps the policy is not enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
I think we can be assured that if it was as a result of domestic spying we would have been told about it.
I do think they would probably have to keep some of their successes with domestic spying classified, in order to keep their enemies from learning how they're spying.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
Bush doesn't want to hear the conversations you have with your girlfriend about football, and other things...I'm sure the whole thing is a much lesser deal than we make it out to be.
I've got nothing to hide.
This argument is basically the equivalent of saying let our government do whatever they want because im sure it will be for our best. Well you are in effect giving the government unchecked absolute power over yourself. And theyve clearly shown that to be a bad idea. Lets assume that Bush is a swell guy and wouldnt use this power for any nefarious purposes. But when we give "the presidency" absolute power to spy on anyone and everyone you give it to more then just Bush and sooner or later someone is going to come along and abuse that power. Its an inevitability when you are talking about humans. So THATS why you cant allow things like blatantly illegal unconstitutional spying to occur. Because even if you think YOU have nothing to hide the powers that be down the road may later define what you are not hiding as worthy of marking you as a criminal or an enemy of the state or at the very least put you on a black list. Its been a common theme through out our history.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #14
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Good point, IRex. That suddenly just made me think of Sen. Joseph McCarthy, and the "Red scare," and the blacklisting and life-ruining that went on back then. You guys remember that lovely period of 20th century history?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So THATS why you cant allow things like blatantly illegal unconstitutional spying to occur.
What is blatantly illegal and unconstitutional about this spying?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

It was necessary. It is still necessary because the media have exposed the program and the bad guys will change communications for a while but they may go back if the left wing supresses this option. It's protecting the USA, not getting a bj in the oval office
Old 02-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
two (rather OT) comments -

Hilarious. And kill half my friends and myself in the process? Thanx a lot, yeah that's a real knee-slapper.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

It is abuse of executive power - not going through judicial branch at all. President just had to go to the FISA courts - but he did not. Only a few senators and/or congressmen knew a little about it. Bush went completely around the system. That is why many members of the Senate are pissed too,e ven republicans.

If Bush went about the spying the correct and legal way, then there would be no problem - or not as much of a problem.

The problem is the way in whch he did it. Spying without a warrant - huge violation of constitution.

FISA made it a crime to intentionally engage in electronic surveillance without court approval. The president clearly violated the law when he authorized, and then repeatedly reauthorized, the NSA to spy on Americans without first obtaining a warrant.

That answer your question, Lief?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

NO violation "Congress grants all power to the President to pursue terrorists". Right or wrong they gave the power and he used it, sparingly.
Old 02-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Hilarious. And kill half my friends and myself in the process? Thanx a lot, yeah that's a real knee-slapper.
SOH alert! SOH alert!
(and you don't live in Hollyweird, anyway!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote