Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Plot Thread for NWN Game

Howdy!

I dunno how many of you know about or own Never Winter's Nights, but for those of you who don't know, it's basically a computer game that has taken the D&D rules and made them workable in 'real time' action. You take on the part of a character and adventure either alone, or online with friends through a D&D style world.

I'm making one of those worlds, currently, for a short adventure that isn't supposed to take more than an hour or two to complete--it's going to be for a small group of people: maybe 4-6. This is my first time ever trying to build anything for the game, or be a part of something like this.

Here's my plot idea--any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Heck, if you know the game and understand how it works, I could always use another DM to help me out with some parts and play some of the important characters (like the Drow and the Gnome).

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Rebirth

500 years ago, after the defeat of the great spirit Rukkash, the world was as much at peace as it had ever been before. There was tension, of course, as there always was, between the Elves and the Dwarves, the Gnomes and the Half-Giants, and the Wizards and Clerics. But no more wars seemed likely to break out, and a general truce had been declared while the races attempted to regather their lives and resources.

Rukkash had been an unexpected blow that struck every race harshly, and only through ten years of war and great battles had they finally defeated him and his minions. They did not know where he had come from, and many did not care now that he was gone. Little did they know he was but the prelude to a greater force.

Swarming from their underground lairs, the Dark Elves, Drow, came forth into the upper world and crushed all the other races; nearly destroying the High Elves completely, and placing all the other races beneath themselves as servants.

A few small bands managed to escape the Drow hoard's notice, and they escaped into the forests, the plains, and any other place they could find. Most were sought out and destroyed eventually. But one band, far from hiding, began striking back against the enemy and proved themselves to be a thorn in the Drow's heel. Though their numbers always remained few, their constant raids would free slaves, and restore the numbers that they lost with every attack.

That was 500 years ago.

429 years ago, a prophet spoke of two who would bring the Rebirth--casting the Drow back into their underground holes, and, summoning the aid of the True God Nahor, would seal the Underground away forever and bring about peace forever.

I am one of those two. Now, on the eve of my 43 birthday, I have received signs from Nahor that the other has been chosen, and is growing into her power, although she does not know it yet. Neither does her Drow owner, which is fortunate since he would kill her before she had a chance to learn of them. Her name is Lissana, and she is, I gather, 18.

Many of my councilors advise me that she may not be the one, and that I should continue my search--they believe the two chosen must be of the same age. The prophecy made no mention of such, and so I must hold firm to my hopes.

Their fears are not ungrounded though--Lissana is the slave of a powerful Drow Priestess. She is highly in the favor of her Spider goddess, and the last time we met she nearly overthrew even my own power. Invading her house, finding one slave out of her many servants, and then getting away will not be easy, or cost free. There is no other way, though, and so it must be done.

I have summoned my most trusted friends and warriors in the hopes of assembling a small, but powerful strike force that will be sufficient for my purpose.

There is one other doubt.

A Drow, Ga'ath Dev'sshiva, having abandoned his own people, has offered to help lead the strike team. I trust him, because it was he who saved my life when I fought against the Drow Priestess, but I know few others do. It is likely that he is the only one with enough knowledge of Drow ways, and this particular Priestess' home to pull off the mission. He must lead... but will the team allow him to?

Only time will tell. The warriors I have called for should begin arriving some time tomorrow, or the day after. In the meantime, I must go and redraw the protection glyphs that surround our hidden sanctuary and temple--last week a small group of Drow actually found and entered the temple, slaying five men before they were put down.

Time is running out.

--Padrick Omshore, High Cleric of Nahor

~_~_~_~_~_~

The story begins in a small council chamber. There are four runes drawn on the floor, with a flame at the center of each rune. In the middle of the room is a table, and around the table are benches. As the players enter the room, they can speak with Padrick, but all he will say is that he's sorry to have pulled them from their current mission, and that he will explain their new one as soon as everyone has arrived.

Once all the players have arrived, Padrick explains to them that he believes he has found the other chosen, and where she is. He tells them the difficulties that he believes they will have to face, and that the only way they can possibly manage to escape with the girl is if they have a Drow guide, and that he knows the one who can do it.

Enter the Drow. If none of the players say anything against the Drow, have a Gnome start talking about why they can't trust the Drow, and saying that he refuses to work with the Drow. Try to rile the players up--maybe have the Drow say something derogatory towards any players who are elves?

Padrick demands silence, and says that working with the Drow is the only way. Have the Drow leave, and Padrick says that anyone who is willing to follow his orders, and be guided by the Drow, should leave in the morning, that he will meet them at the Ruins of Feth town. Padrick disappears.

Have the Gnome say he'll follow the Drow, but will be watching him every step of the way. Attempt to make the players distrust the Drow further by having the Drow reenter at some point and say that he is their leader, and expects them to follow his commands and orders without question or be left behind. Drow leaves again.

Move the party to a forest. Send the Drow and someone else ahead to scout for Drow hunting parties. The Drow and scout return to say that they cannot follow the river as they had intended, because there is a large camp of Drow. The other player can backup the truth of the Drow's words if any players doubt him.

The players will try to sneak around another way, but run into a second party of Drow. Players can either run or fight. If they run, they will eventually find the way to Padrick, and if they fight they should get some equipment from the Drow bodies. They continue until they find Padrick.

In front of Padrick, the Gnome accuses the Drow of leading them into an ambush. Two options here: If they jump the Drow and kill him or force him to flee, then Padrick will lead them on to the final objective. Otherwise, Padrick attempts to calm them, and then after more instructions on what escape rout to use, they continue.

Possibly some battles to get into the house.

One inside the house, they go to find the girl. They enter a room, and the Gnome stays outside. The girl is in the room, but as soon as they're all inside, the Gnome locks the door on them and runs away laughing--he betrayed them.

Someone outside the door tells them that the Priestess is away, but will be back soon and will enjoy killing them.

At this point the players have to convince the girl that she is one of the chosen that the prophecy spoke of. Once they have, she uses her powers to unlock the door, and they escape. They can either seek out the Gnome for vengeance, or escape into the woods, where Padrick transports them all back to the Temple.

End
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I don't know Never Winter's Nights but here are some of my thoughts: I like the idea of having the gnome be the traitor in the end. I'm guessing that will definitely catch your players off guard.

Supposing the scenario where Padrick leads the team into the Priestess' house is chosen, couldn't he have unlocked the door as well?

It might be interesting if the Drow, in the case where he isn't killed, also turns up in the end and is of some assistance, either in helping the team escape or slaying the real traitor.

[EDIT: of course, seeing the time passed since your post and my reply, I suppose the game may have been played already ]

Last edited by Earniel : 05-22-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm glad you replied . It hasn't happened yet--I put it on the back burner since I'm doing some other stuff like composing game music for someone who's doing an amature RPG .

Excellent point about Padrick unlocking the door--I could see the gnome possibly shooting him in the back and severely injuring him, or just knocking him out some how.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I'm glad you replied . It hasn't happened yet--I put it on the back burner since I'm doing some other stuff like composing game music for someone who's doing an amature RPG .
*pouts* and you're not working on things like reassembling the story line for Gates to Mirkwood? Shame.

Now that I think of it, what ever happened to your Ice Village story?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I strayed from my planned path of Ice Villageness, which resulted in my sitting down to write one day and realizing "I have no idea where to go with this next."

Which is part of why I was looking so hard for the GoM info I'd had .

I may take another stab at Ice Village some time, but I'd probably need to drop some stuff, add some stuff, and basically restart the bloody thing.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
Earniel

Heh, I know the feeling. So many disjointed plot bunnies, so little time to sit down and write them all down properly...
Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Interestingly enough, Bioware (which developed NWN) is located in my city, and earlier this summer put out a call for job applications to be a puzzle designer and story writer. In place of a standard portfolio, they wanted application material in the form of a scenario designed with the NWN toolkit.

I would have scooped it up myself, but you know how it is with not being finished school yet...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You... gave up a chance... to apply... at... bioware?! *passes out*

Man, bioware ROCKS! As one person put it, "Everything they touch turns to gold."
Old 08-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well, they tend to hire people who have, you know, graduated. Some other time, perhaps. Bioware employs a lot of graduates from my school, being local neighbours and all. But I'd be glad to inform you of any future openings of interest.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote