Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2000, 02:32 AM   #1
Michael Martinez

Recent LOTR/Tolkien news headlines from Xenite.Org

I hope this is okay. Most people seem to enjoy just reading the headlines on Xenite.Org, although we do often provide lengthy articles. Anyway, I thought I'd test the waters of a few Tolkien-related boards by posting our headlines and see if people appreciate that or if it makes me look "spammy".

www.xenite.org/faqs/lotr_movie/

New Zealand Herald says 'Army ring-ins create Hobbiton'
September 03, 2000 at 23:01:46
A New Zealand Herald story recaps the latest news and revelations about Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' production in New Zealand.

Suite101: The magic of the minstrels
September 03, 2000 at 22:37:45
This week's article at Suite101's Tolkien and Middle-earth topic looks at how entertainers in Middle-earth may have had to follow in Elvish footsteps.

Glass Hammer checks in from Middle-earth
September 03, 2000 at 22:08:34
Steve Babb and Fred Schendel wowed Tolkien fans at Dragoncon with their (as-yet unfinished) rock video set to 'The way to her heart', a song about Aragorn's love for Arwen from their first CD, 'Journey of the Dunadan'. Now they are hard at work on a new CD, tentatively titled 'Live from Middle-earth', and they are sharing the magic in special ways.

Minas Tirith looks like Tolkien described
September 03, 2000 at 21:52:53
TheOneRing.Net has published a spy report with several photos of the new Minas Tirith set. Tolkien purists will breathe a sigh of relief as they see that the walls of the city will indeed be black and sheer, as Tolkien described.

Gregory Lee Kenyon wins leading role in Elemental Films' 'Ancanar'
September 03, 2000 at 21:26:59
Gregory Lee Kenyon moved to Los Angeles after amassing a wide variety of regional theatre credits in his native New England.

Reuters remembers Tolkien
September 03, 2000 at 00:30:06
Various Tolkien movie news sites observed that September 2 was the anniversary of J.R.R. Tolkien's death. It appears that not everyone in the mainstream news media is as ill-informed as Tolkien fandom has come to believe they are.

Xenite.Org says farewell to famed White Council
September 02, 2000 at 19:18:20
Thousands of Tolkien fans have enjoyed the intense discussions of Xenite.Org's White Council, reputedly the Web's oldest Tolkien discussion. Today the old message board was retired and a new forum unveiled.

Southland Times counts nine Ringwraiths at Arrow River location
September 02, 2000 at 19:06:21
Nine hooded horsemen were caught on camera as New Zealand shoppers looked on in astonishment. 'Is it the Lord of the Rings?' a woman dared ask. 'Yes.'

Cirdan confirms eagle-roost set is indeed Amon Hen
September 01, 2000 at 16:15:57
German Webmaster Cirdan was invited to a secret screening of 22 minutes of LOTR footage.

Force of Hobbit reveals more departures from Tolkien's Middle-earth
September 01, 2000 at 15:58:36
In a fascinating look at how the sets are being designed and constructed for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' movies, E! Online's Force of Hobbit On Location segment for September reveals that yet further departures from Tolkien's vision of Middle-earth have been decided upon.

They're not Nazgul, they're not Rohirrim, so who are these Black Riders?
August 31, 2000 at 23:53:00
TheOneRing.Net has picked up a news story by the Otago Daily Times concerning 30 black-garbed riders filming a battle scene in Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' movies.

Frodo, Sam, Legolas, and Boromir hit Golden Bay
August 30, 2000 at 18:41:53
The Nelson Mail is reporting that Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins), Sean Astin (Sam Gamgee), Orlando Bloom (Legolas), and Sean Bean (Boromir) have landed at Takaka Aerodrome and gotten underway in filming their latest scenes for Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings'.

Company of the Ring looking for questions to ask about movies
August 30, 2000 at 18:26:44
Beren over at The Company of the Ring has a dream: he wants to visit Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' production when filming is scheduled to be close by.

Rain, Elves, and Orcs converge on Otago area
August 30, 2000 at 18:20:21
Tolkien Online is carrying two brief articles about rainouts and mysterious filming plans in the Otago region of New Zealand.

Legal dispute over news publications' photos of LOTR film sets grows
August 30, 2000 at 18:12:20
The Press is engaging in a legal battle with Three Foot Six Productions over who owns the rights to photographs taken of Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' sets taken from public access.

Pat Murphy to chat at Worldcon
August 30, 2000 at 13:26:11
Readers who enjoyed Pat Murphy's Hobbit-inspired novel There and Back Again will have a chance to meet her at Chicon 2000, the 58th Worldcon being held this weekend.

Ringzone posts new Edoras photo
August 29, 2000 at 13:29:05
Ringzone.Net has put up a new photo from the New Zealand Herald (we could not find it in today's online edition).

Spectre of Securitygate haunts LOTR filming in Takaka article
August 29, 2000 at 13:12:32
The Nelson Mail has published an article about the filming of Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' movies on the Mt. Olympus location and the impact the crew has already had on the local community.

Lord of the Rings crew answers questions for school kids
August 29, 2000 at 13:04:32
Some very fortunate school children in New Zealand got the chance to talk with one of the people working on Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' movies by telephobne.

Lawyers to newspaper: don't infringe copyrights
August 29, 2000 at 12:57:12
In what could be called a mini Postergate scandal, The Evening Post has withdrawn from sale a poster comprised of pictures published in a recent edition.

Elrond will not be supplying the Hobbits' swords
August 28, 2000 at 20:57:09
We've been looking at the CinTBobine photographs that several Web sites have published recently and it occurs to us that the hobbits are shown wielding swords at Weathertop.

Gamespot picks up Sierra lawsuit story
August 28, 2000 at 19:57:54
They don't say anything we haven't reported here first, but ZDNet's Gamespot recently published a brief article on the lawsuit.

Christopher Lambert 'Beowulf' going to video release
August 25, 2000 at 14:27:10
Most people may not associate 'Beowulf' with J.R.R. Tolkien, but it was his pivotal defense of the epic Old English poem which turned the literary world on its ear and inspired new generations of researchers to take the work more seriously.

Sierra On-Line President acknowledges lawsuit in interview with The Vault
August 25, 2000 at 14:02:54
David Grenewetzki, President of Sierra On-Line, has now confirmed that a lawsuit has been filed by his company against the Saul Zaentz Company.

Suite101 article -- Razing Arnor: How real were the Dunadan conspiracies?
August 25, 2000 at 06:11:09
This week's article at Suite101's Tolkien and Middle-earth topic takes on the division of Arnor.

100 terabytes of imaging? Great Scott!
August 23, 2000 at 13:09:07
New Zealand Infotech has published a brief article detailing the computers WETA just acquired for final rendering on Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' movies.

Sir Ian McKellen updates epost, reveals technical and minor plot details
August 23, 2000 at 12:44:41
Although nothing critical appears in his answers to fans about work on Peter Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' movies, Sir Ian does let slip a couple of tantalizing tidbits about what fans can expect to see in the films.

Edoras revealed in newspaper photographs: medieval motif favored over Tolkien motif
August 23, 2000 at 12:22:25
Tolkien Online found an article by The Press at Stuff with the first pictures of the Edoras set at Mt. Potts, and now TheOneRing.Net has posted some spy pictures as well.

Ancanar.Com updates, major character cast
August 23, 2000 at 12:03:29
Elemental Films has just announced a major update to their Ancanar Web site.

Claire Raskind to fandom: No battles at Edoras
August 23, 2000 at 11:56:51
Alerted by fan concerns over the recent report of battle scenes to be filmed at the Edoras set on Mt. Potts, Beren at The Company of the Ring contacted Three Foot Six Productions.

Old 09-04-2000, 02:37 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Recent LOTR/Tolkien news headlines from Xenite.Org

Hmm, well it reads just like a briefing of the recent LotR movie news, which is always nice. Of course, people always know that they can visit your site at any time to read these. It's less of an "advertisement" because you included the content of the page you were plugging!

What do the rest of you think about MM posting this?
Old 09-04-2000, 02:43 AM   #3
Michael Martinez

To be honest, I got the idea from someone who has been reposting our articles on another message board. Only he reposts them ALL AT ONCE, which is a bit much. The board admin got onto him about that. So I started listing the headlines in rec.arts.sf.announce a couple of months ago and have decided to try it on a few of the message boards (including the one where this idea came from). I figure if most people just want to see the headlines anyway, I can make a sort of news distribution service out of them. Or something like that.

Just a way to help generate some content and discussion, really.

Allright, it's a shameless attempt to plug my site. I deserve the most thorough reprisals you can imagine for lack of originality and spamming.

[Hangs head]
Old 09-04-2000, 04:14 AM   #4
noldo

Interesting... Really good. I've not been following the news for sometime now so that was a good update.
Old 09-04-2000, 12:59 PM   #5
anduin

I certainly do not mind the info, in fact I welcome it. Your site is a respected one, has wonderful articles, and seems to keep tract of what the other Tolkien related sites are reporting on. Entmoot and the Trail don't have as much info as say some of the other boards and sites on movie news. So I think that you would be doing a great service to this community if you would post your updates here, in the form of the headlines, for the use and education of the members here. It gives you exposure and it gives us much needed information. And I would like to thank you......you certainly have the spirit!!!
Old 09-05-2000, 12:07 AM   #6
Shanamir Duntak

Sorry Michael, but I prefer reading the full articles directly on Xenite.org, I mean, it's in my favorites! But, I guess that for those who don't have that kind of time...