Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

LotR was read clandestinely before the Velvet revolution!

Radio Prague just broadcast this and I immediately went online to get a copy of the transcript. As a linguist, I find it fascinating; however, the communist regime's view of the 'politics' is amazing as well. (BTW, "Bohemia" is English for "Czech"]

Hobbits in Bohemia
By Jan Velinger

Any fan will tell you that The Lord of the Rings is one of the most impressive adventure sagas ever written. Yet, Tolkien's trilogy only hit former-Czechoslovakia twelve years ago, although it was published in Britain in the 1950s - the former Communist regime shunned the books because they represented evil as coming from the East. After the fall of Communism in 1989 the first instalment was published, and Tolkien became the rage in Bohemia with all the vengeance of a goblin attack. This thanks to an acclaimed translation by Stanislava Posustova, a librarian at Prague's Charles University's English department, who is also an independent translator. Now, as The Fellowship of the Ring finds newer and newer audiences around the Czech Republic, I was able to speak to Mrs Posustova about her translation, and her on-going passion for The Lord of the Rings....

When was the first time that you got your hands on a copy of The Lord of the Rings, and what kind of impression did it make on you?
"Well, it was in 1979, when the library at Charles University, where I had been working, bought a copy from some literary man and I decided to read it just to find out what it was. I enjoyed it so very much that I immediately became a Tolkien fan."

Did it occur to you at that point that you would eventually translate The Lord of the Rings, and other Tolkien texts as well?
"Well, I started right away in fact, because my father had read The Hobbit and liked it, and so I thought, well, I'll try a bit of it and translate some pages just for his pleasure, because there was no hope of publishing such a book."

That was one of the things I wanted to ask - in terms of the former regime, was this a book that would have been considered ideologically "wrong"?
"There were quite serious ideological problems, because the East as the seat of evil [ie. the country of Mordor in the trilogy - editor's note] was very unacceptable. It took several literary men who had good names with the regime to write their opinions that it was not meant politically but as Fantasy. So, it was considered for publication, but it still took ten years before it came out. After the problem of ideology was overcome, there was the problem of the size of the book, because they were afraid that it would take up too much paper and that it wouldn't sell... A new editor came, who was more interested in it, and carried it through."

What kind of feeling is that, when it takes so long for you to see the fruits of your labour realised, not knowing all along whether your translation would be published?
"I wasn't much surprised and I had little hope that it would be published soon, because it was the time when a lot of books were circulating illegally. I gave my translation to a group of people who I knew would be able to make more copies of it, so it circulated in the '80s in this version, so quite a lot of people got to know it before it was ever published in the book form."

When the book finally made it to market, what were some of the first reactions?
"It caused an unexpected sensation, because it was a book which sold out very soon, and got very popular: it even got the publishing house Book of the Year award. It caused a lot of talk, not as much as the film does now, of course, because the advertising campaign was not as big!"

How did the Czech public respond to the world of hobbits and Middle Earth? Did they adopt it?
"Young people did, definitely, because there were children playing at hobbits, and I know it from reactions because there were mothers and fathers coming to me and telling me their children were quite wild about it, and it was very pleasing. I saw young people reading it on the Underground, and you know, I saw that it really got the people!

Is Tolkien on the curriculum at Charles University and, in general, how is The Lord of the Rings trilogy viewed by the students and staff?
"Well... it is not on the curriculum, because even here it is not considered serious literature by most of the teachers, while all the students come to university, having read it as children and young people, so they usually know it, and some of them are Tolkien fans who usually come and tell me about it..."

Clandestinely...
"Yes!"

On the other hand, there is a book by Tom Shippey, which defends Tolkien's work: he makes the argument that Tolkien continues a tradition of storytelling which traces its roots back to sagas like Beowolf, at the same time using innovations in language which show him to be a clearly modern writer. So, I wanted ask you your view on that...
"I enjoyed [Shippey's] book very much and I think it was very just to Tolkien, it showed much understanding of his work. I suppose it was partially because Mr Shippey is also an Anglo-Saxon scholar, and he knows it was no mean achievement to make something like [The Lord of the Rings]. So, I hope the book will be published in Czech because one publishing house is now considering it for publication."

Is it unfair that Tolkien's work gets such a rap, considering his technique compared to other Fantasy writers? Is it unfair that The Lord of the Rings is treated only as a genre?
"Definitely. The problem is, probably nobody knew what to do with it...it was something so unexpected and it defied definition, so they probably put it into the Fantasy genre just to get rid of it, and not to have to treat the phenomenon as something new."

How did you find working with the language, with Tolkien being so influenced - as he was - by Old English, Old Norse, the Celtic languages... How does that translate into Czech?
"Fortunately, I did not have to translate the Elvish languages, which were meant by him to be meant to be something unusual, and to be kept separate from the English text... But I saw that he would have liked the Anglo-Saxon-based names to be translated, because they were to help the reader to understand the history of the English language. I tried to translate it into Czech as well as I could, sometimes it was difficult, the difficulty was with style, because English has a greater variety of styles to use. We have no such high-flown language, for instance, as he gave the men of Gondor or the Elves. The Czech translation does not have as much stratification of language as the English original. As far as the names were concerned, I went into Anglo-Saxon and Middle English dictionaries to find the roots of words and I often found the names were created on a similar basis to Czech place-names especially, because they were usually taken from a landscape feature, so it was quite possible to find a Czech equivalent, or to make something which would sound like real Czech names!"

What would a place like Bree [one of the first towns the hobbits visit in the books] be called in Czech, and what is the root of Bree?
"As far as I know Bree means "a small hill", which is hurka in Czech and means exactly the same in Czech. Hobbiton and Hobbitin [long second "i" sound, as in teen] was just the same, because in Czech it is formed the same way as in English. Buckleberry, Brandywine, and all these things, could be translated into Czech fairly well, because it was possible to find Czech equivalents and to combine them."

In terms of the Czech analogue, a name like Frodo Baggins was translated like Frodo Pytlik ["i" has a long e sound, as in leek] - to my ear that sounds it sounds almost like it would have a Slavic root...
"Well, you know, pytlik means "a small bag", but this name wasn't invented by me but by the translator of The Hobbit. So, I had to use some of his words, and sometimes I wouldn't have made it in the same way, but I had to take them, because Frodo was the nephew of Bilbo, and Bilbo began The Lord of the Rings, so I had to take it over. This was the same with the Water, and Bywater, and some of the names that are in The Hobbit."

Maybe my association is only because of Brouk Pytlik [a famous insect character in Czech children's stories]...
"Yes! That's why I wouldn't have used it, you know. But, I suppose the translator stressed the funny side of The Hobbit, and his translation was perfect. But then, The Lord of the Rings is not such a funny book, it soon changes in tone into serious... If the book is a book which did get into my heart, I must say, there was never so much pleasure as when translating Tolkien. I feel absolutely happy when translating, because for me there is no feeling like living on the border of two languages, and seeing what the Czech language is able to do with the English original."

What do you think is the most admirable about The Lord of the Rings?
"It is important in a century when good and evil got so mixed up. Aragorn's answer to Eomer that Good and Evil haven't changed sides since yesterday, seems to me important. It was important for me that Tolkien stood for the good and wasn't afraid to make positive heroes, and to lead every literary character to the choice between good and evil, because everybody is brought to the point when he has to choose."

Read about the Lady Legrace

Last edited by Sauron's Nagging Wife : 01-15-2002 at 06:43 PM.
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 06:23 PM   #2
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
As a linguist
Is this a high falootin' word 'fer ESL teacher?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Strange question!

I have a master's degree in linguistics.

(Almost forgot) I translate and edit documents.

Last edited by Sauron's Nagging Wife : 01-15-2002 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:08 PM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Despite my numerous typos ( never learned how to type)
I'm in the ESL field and many linguist are employed in this field 'cos they can't get jobs elsewhere.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:38 PM   #5
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Lady Legrace! A good read!

Ok, so this mountain man dont know what ESL means...
Old 05-24-2002, 12:30 AM   #6
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
Ok, so this mountain man dont know what ESL means...
It's ok. I'm in the dark too. Interesting article, SNW.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:49 AM   #7
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Sorry, guys. ESL stands for Enclish as a Second Language. In the US, peole who teach English to immigrants teach this, In the UK, they call it EFL, English as Foreign Language.

Frodo "Pytlik" is the English equivalent of "baggies" in the singular -- Frodo Baggie,

Dawg, my Internet name, legrace is a colloquial Czech word meaning "fun" (and she is.... ) I wonder if the Dark Lord would let me have another party in the Tower..

Old 05-26-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

The Dark Lord and I may be heading back stateside, and I may actually be working in a college... teaching English as a Secod Language! (To adults, I can't stand kids)

Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
Snowdog

I miss those parties in the tower.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron's Nagging Wife
(BTW, "Bohemia" is English for "Czech"]
Since when Czech country got shrunk to just one region?

Nice translation, but nothing new. In spite of the world-wide popularity in some places Tolkien's books has to reach readers breaking through bureucratic red tapes.
Maybe it fathom you to know that in some libraries in USA Tolkien's books are banned as occultic.

Last edited by Olmer : 04-21-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:02 AM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Is Bohemia only one part of the Czech Republic then? At least one of my Czech friends has read it. She said Frodo Baggins is called Frodo Pytlìk (which means small sack).

They banned it because evil came from the East? Mordor was in the South. (I mean, it was east of Gondor, but sheesh. South-east at best.) Gits. They could at least know what sort of literary evil they're trying to keep out of the country.

I'm against book-banning in all ways, shapes, and forms. It's a bit surprising that Tolkien would make the list of subversive books or what have you, but then again, Sauron would probably have banned the book too.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM   #12
Snowdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Since when Czech country got shrunk to just one region?

Nice translation, but nothing new. In spite of the world-wide popularity in some places Tolkien's books has to reach readers breaking through bureucratic red tapes.
Maybe it fathom you to know that in some libraries in USA Tolkien's books are banned as occultic.
Which libraries would these be? The Latter-Day Saints libraries?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Is Bohemia only one part of the Czech Republic then?
The Czech Republic consists of 3 regions: Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia.

Hoy, Snowdog! Wow, it's been a long time! The baby is going to be 2 in June, believe it or not.

I never heard of Tolkien being banned, though I have heard that Harry Potter was banned. It's kinda sad that people are afraid of ideas.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info about the Czech Republic SNW! (And congrats on the baby! A new little Dark Lord to brighten up the Dark Tower! )

Down with book banning! Harry Potter has been banned, recently ie. in the past decade, in some parts of the United States and Canada!

I believe it was banned in a school in Alberta. Our neighbours! Our lovely neighbours!

EDIT:
Now, if only Queen would write "Moravian Rhapshody" and "Silesian Rhapshody", maybe we'd know about all three regions.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #15
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Thanks for the info about the Czech Republic SNW! (And congrats on the baby! A new little Dark Lord to brighten up the Dark Tower! )
Heh! I lived in Prague for 6 years, then when Marco and I got married, we lived in Italy for a while before coming here (to NYC). He had 2 boys from his first marriage, and then - surprise! - we found out that another little fella was on the way despite powerful efforts to prevent such an occurance . I think Snowdog remembers how sick I was in those days, and it was a miracle that both of us survived.

But now we have out pretty little Dark Prince (who is actually blond and blue eyed).

I still miss Prague sometimes!

Old 04-28-2005, 01:13 PM   #16
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

They don't just ban the Harry Potter books, there are some people that actually form groups and burn them as well. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad, people protesting the occult allusions in Harry Potter by ritualistically getting together around a big bonfire...I mean, everyone has a right to their own beliefs, I guess, but burning books just makes these people look so horribly ignorant, you'd think they would realize that.

Fascinating little article, thanks for posting it.
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreran the Green
.I mean, everyone has a right to their own beliefs, I guess, but burning books just makes these people look so horribly ignorant, you'd think they would realize that.
Aye.

"Where books are burned, humans will be burned someday." A telling and suitable quote, although I can't recall for my life who said it.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:09 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Aye.

"Where books are burned, humans will be burned someday." A telling and suitable quote, although I can't recall for my life who said it.
Heinrich Heine. I actually have it in my signature..
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #19
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Heinrich Heine. I actually have it in my signature..
i have been meaning to comment on your wonderful sig RtB
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote