Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

After two and a half weeks, I finally saw it yesterday.

Visuals were great - and it is great to see the story done in a movie at all.

Like many others here, I'm not crazy about the additions. At this point, I just say "oh well..." I took my three sons. I think they all liked it, as a movie. They're not so put-off by the changes as the rest of us are (the boys are now 15, 13 & 11).

I think they've made more changes to The Hobbit than they did to LOTR. Even apart from backstory elements. I think they HAD to alter backstory elements that are not in The Hobbit or LOTR, or they'd get into trouble with Tolkien Estates. They only have movie rights on those two. With that in mind, I'm surprised they showed a meeting of Gandalf and Thorin at Bree at all... though the substance of their meeting was different from that in UT.

Perhaps one nice add... elements of the "athelas/kingsfoil" portion included, which were left out of LOTR.

Glad I saw it, overall enjoyed, would have appreciated greater faithfulness to the written story. But maybe some of those changes help transition from book to movie.

My 13 y-o is over my shoulder and suggests that they wanted something "fresh" - and that if they had kept everything the same, they might as well have recorded someone reading the story.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

PS: starting to think that Tauriel will die, along with Kili (and Fili and Thorin - if the same people die as in the book). That could make certain other characters sad. At least one whose name starts and ends with "L" - though his father may try to help him get over it.

BTW: my younger sons especially came away with very bad feelings about King Thranduil.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
After two and a half weeks, I finally saw it yesterday.
Visuals were great - and it is great to see the story done in a movie at all.
And I saw it on Saturday, and basically liked it, in spite of some objections.

Quote:
I think they HAD to alter backstory elements that are not in The Hobbit or LOTR, or they'd get into trouble with Tolkien Estates. They only have movie rights on those two. With that in mind, I'm surprised they showed a meeting of Gandalf and Thorin at Bree at all... though the substance of their meeting was different from that in UT.
The meeting of Gandalf and Thorin is recorded in the Appendices as well, in a shorter and slightly different version. There are elements in the movie that weren't in either version, though - but I think there might be details that couldn't be used because they were only in UT.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote