Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2005, 03:40 PM   #19
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Well, the nazgul were on 2 months long sight-seeing trip in the vales of Anduin in summer. In September they were sent to the Shire and were told that speed not secrecy was important. So they did hurry, but perhaps not as much as Gandalf who was far behind. And they made it in good time, perhaps they took half a day more than Gandalf.
I feel you just hate the idea that nz horses may be mearas.

nah not at all: ( and i mean that)

they could well be Mearas or in part from mearas stock: i just didn't think the point sufficiently proved originally and then subsequently it went un-passed and un-pursued and therefore appeared to be taken as read that they therefore WERE Mearas: i just think the argument as panned out is not sufficiently proved one way or the other yet: to say un-equivocially or for mooters to asume they were seems to me to need pulling up and looking at:

to be frank i don't really care if they were or not: maybe fear drove them on? maybe they were exceptional horses indeed: but my thought is just this: IF gandalf on shadowfax rode to the hilt like the wind back to the North then they must have been, from what we know of shadowfax and his relation to other horses of his age, superb horses indeed.

I personally feel Tolkien just had to try the best he could to get the timelines in some sort of Sync: if shadowfax pushed himself to the limit then they were ALL kings of horses themselves: not merely Mearas but CHIEFTANS of the mearas if they (almost) matched him

now: one maybe, possibly, Two: well... ok just about within reason perhaps...

ALL nine?
well i'm no expert on genetics and stud breeding etc: if it was that easy i'd go into horse-racing

(and then later down the road sell my profitable investments to M glazer! )

best
BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 05-17-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote