Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Whispering and Muttering

In the LotR movies, there are a fair amount of lines spoken which are not so easy to distinguish. I seem to be particularly bad about picking up what's being said at times like this. I can tell someone is saying something (like in a voice-over) but can't exactly make it out.

I've only seen RotK twice, there IS one that I picked up the second time, late in the movie. It's when they're before the Black Gate and the armies of Mordor have just encircled them... and there's a voice-over of Sauron. He says the name 'Aragorn' in it... but I can't tell if he's just talking to himself, noting who his enemy is, or if he's trying to 'seduce' Aragorn and appealing to him to switch sides, or taunting him, or something else.

Has anyone picked out just what was said there? Were there other things like this that you picked up on in this movie... or one of the other two films?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 02-24-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:56 PM   #2
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Yup. In FOTR, when Gandalf is just about to fall down past the bridge of Kazad-Dum. He either says 'Fly you fools! - like in the books or 'Run you fools!'. i cant make it out

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

he says fly you fools just like in the books, but other then that i havent really noticed any other whispering

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Re: Whispering and Muttering

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil

I've only seen RotK twice, there IS one that I picked up the second time, late in the movie. It's when they're before the Black Gate and the armies of Mordor have just encircled them... and there's a voice-over of Sauron. He says the name 'Aragorn' in it... but I can't tell if he's just talking to himself, noting who his enemy is, or if he's trying to 'seduce' Aragorn and appealing to him to switch sides, or taunting him, or something else.

At least I think he "says" Elessar and then Aragorn. I think Sauron is trying to "seduce" Aragorn somehow, since he is the heir of Isildur. But that can be totally wrong.

I've thought about fly you fools too; why does he say fly?

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Re: Re: Whispering and Muttering

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerdanel
Because he wanted the rest of the Fellowship to get away as fast as they could and flying is a lot faster than running!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

'Fly' is very often used to mean 'flee', 'run', or 'get away as fast as you can'. He doesn't mean like birds.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Valandil

Theoden Re: Re: Whispering and Muttering

Quote:
At least I think he "says" Elessar and then Aragorn. I think Sauron is trying to "seduce" Aragorn somehow, since he is the heir of Isildur. But that can be totally wrong.

Thanks Nerdanel... I had thought that was most likely... especially since as Aragorn turns back to his comrades, before he gives the battle cry, "For Frodo!" - he gives a look to make the viewer wonder if, perhaps, he HAD been persuaded by Sauron.

I noted too that he was holding up Anduril... as though displaying it for 'The Eye' to see... so I wonder if whatever Sauron said there indicates he's making (or had already made) the connection to Elendil and Isildur. Anyway, that will be interesting in the EE... especially if we see that it refers back to a scene of Aragorn taking up the palantir to challenge Sauron.

Yes... to say 'fly' in English can indicate for someone to make the best speed they can, not necessarily the literal act of flying in the air.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 02-24-2004, 06:11 PM   #8
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

i'm pretty sure in fellowship they try to "give the ring a voice".... so to speak. like in bag end and it's on the table and frodo and gandalf sort of look at it and you can kind of hear these sounds. (closed captioning is all-knowing by the way.... at that point it comes on the screen and says something along the lines of "ring talking in black speech"). also at the end of fellowship just before frodo is about to leave and he's talking to aragorn, and you hear something say "elessar"... i guess it's supposed to be the ring. but, yeah, if you're at home watching a DVD or whatever, put the subtitles or closed captioning on... then you wont miss a thing!
Old 02-25-2004, 02:40 AM   #9
Valandil

Theoden

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldberry1
i'm pretty sure in fellowship they try to "give the ring a voice".... so to speak. like in bag end and it's on the table and frodo and gandalf sort of look at it and you can kind of hear these sounds. (closed captioning is all-knowing by the way.... at that point it comes on the screen and says something along the lines of "ring talking in black speech"). also at the end of fellowship just before frodo is about to leave and he's talking to aragorn, and you hear something say "elessar"... i guess it's supposed to be the ring. but, yeah, if you're at home watching a DVD or whatever, put the subtitles or closed captioning on... then you wont miss a thing!
YES! The Ring DOES do that a lot in the first movie, doesn't it... at Bag End, Rivendell, etc. And I can't make out a word it's saying!

Thanks for the tip about the subtitles... I'll try that next time. Sorry if I seem like a dweeb to have not known that, but I really don't have too many dvd's... the two LotR's and some kid's videos is all, none of which I have watched a whole lot - and have never really explored all the options.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 02-26-2004, 04:06 AM   #10
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Re: Whispering and Muttering

Quote:
He says Aragorn first, then Elessar (among lots of other babbling which I can't figure out). I don't think he's trying to seduce him, I think he speaks his name in challenge and hate.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-26-2004 at 04:07 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 AM   #11
Beor
founder of the color blue

I think he is trying to get in his pants, thinking that shining up to him by calling him Elessar will really get him going.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, try the subtitles - at least in the first movie, it usually says what the "ring" is saying. I'll disagree with Arty, tho - I think he's trying to seduce him.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #13
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Twista
Yup. In FOTR, when Gandalf is just about to fall down past the bridge of Kazad-Dum. He either says 'Fly you fools! - like in the books or 'Run you fools!'. i cant make it out
FLY, YOU FOOLS (Gandalf shouting this to the rest of the fellowship)

Is my impression from reading it.

NOT the mediocre fly you fools as it was portrayed in the movie.

Last edited by Grey_Wolf : 02-28-2004 at 04:06 PM.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:20 PM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I pictured him yelling it too, because who's going to hear him whispering?

Gandalf (hanging percariously from bridge): Fly, you fools (whispering)
Frodo: What was that Gandalf? (leans closer)
Gandalf: (whispering) Fly, you fools.
Frodo: (leans forward more to hear, but leans too far and falls in!) Aaaaaaa!
The Balrog opportunisticly snags the Ring, and Middle-earth is ruled by the Dark Lord Balrog, who strives to bring his master back from the void, plunging all Arda into darkness and evil for eternity.

Or not...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:52 PM   #15
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

It took until the third viewing of ROTK for me to realise that Sam said "and this is for my old Gaffer" as I was hearing "and this is murfer murfermer".

Also by the third viewing I realised that the Mordor army was chanting "Grond" in the Pellenor Fields, which makes sense. Saruman's army is also supposed to be doing some black speech chant, but I don't know what they're saying nor what it means.

ALSO, the first time I saw FOTR, just before the Nine Riders leave Minas Morgul, I didn't realise it was Gollum crying "Shire! Baggins!" (obviously while being tortured), I just thought it was some garbled hissing. But then again, my eardrum had perforated the evening before I saw it (Christmas day for the Australians) so the Nazgul screaming was pretty excrutiating...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:48 AM   #16
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by luinilwen
my eardrum had perforated the evening before I saw it (Christmas day for the Australians) so the Nazgul screaming was pretty excrutiating...
How did that happen? But then again the screaming was pretty excruciating anyway…my little brother was nearly crying in that scene where Minas Morgul opens up!
Old 02-29-2004, 03:17 PM   #17
Kalimac
Enting

And, of course, there is the now elusive and infamous "I love you" whisper during the Grey Havens scene!
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:24 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

What? Hadn't heard that one.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:40 PM   #19
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Don't worry, I think it's just the imaginings of a certain subset of movie fans.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:01 PM   #20
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Maggot
How did that happen? But then again the screaming was pretty excruciating anyway…my little brother was nearly crying in that scene where Minas Morgul opens up!
Do you remember the Blue Mountains bushfires on Christmas 2002 that made it look like doomsday in Sydney? The smoke made me sick (flu-like symptoms) so I had a build up of fluid in my middle ear which eventually made a small perforation in my eardrum. I've had it a few times in each ear, usually only when I have the flu. The pressure utterly excruciating until it pops! And then your hearing is really funny and pretty sensitive for a few days, then you need antibiotics to prevent a secondary middle ear infection (which, thankfully, I've never had).

Too much information? Way too off topic? Sorry...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote