Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Harry Potter's Grandparents

Harry Potter's grandparents on both his mother and father's sides have been noticeably absent from the series. Now, J.K. Rowling has mentioned at least two characters (Blaise Zabini and Dean Thomas) whose backstories she had to unfortunately delete.

However, not having Harry's grandparents in the story at all leaves some serious questions. They are his family, don't they care about him? The Evans grandparents are briefly mentioned by Petunia, who sounds bitter that they were proud that Lily was a witch. They seem to have had a falling out with Petunia, but why would they abandon Lily's child? Harry has to live with the Dursleys because of Lily's protection, but they could at least attempt to be a part of his life.

Then we have James's parents. As far as I can tell, they were both wizards, and fairly wealthy. And as wizards, they have even less reason to not be in contact with him, since Harry is at Hogwarts and they could easily send him an owl. Nothing suggests that they would abandon Harry either, but we know even less about James's parents than we do of Lily's. The Potters seem to have been a presence in the wizarding world though - Draco seems to know about them. I get the impression he didn't just want to be friends with Harry because of the Boy-Who-Lived thing, but also because his parents are wealthy purebloods (stupid term, but Draco would use it).

I have a few theories about their absence, but all these ideas have holes:

1. The Evans and Potter grandparents have both been killed by Voldemort's followers, and neither the Dursleys nor Dumbledore see fit to tell him.
Problem: Lupin, Sirius, and possibly Hagrid would have known, and IMO would have told him.

2. James and Lily went into hiding before Lily had Harry, and thus their parents never knew about him. The Dursleys wouldn't care to contact anyone in the wizarding world, nor would they do something on Harry's behalf (unless forced/scared into it).
Problem: Dumbledore, Sirius, Lupin, and other members of the wizarding community would know both the Potters and Harry, and put them in touch.

3. Speculate. Discuss. What do you guys think? What does the almost complete absence of Harry's grandparents say to you?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 05-09-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:18 AM   #2
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

The holes are a bit too large in your theories there, Nurv, BUT you've hit the nail on the head concerning what for some of us is a HUGE hole in the story.

Unless in JKR's world grandparents dissolve into small vats of butterbeer and are completely dismissed from thought and sight through quaffing by binge drinking frat-boys 'gone wild' at Virginia Beach. there really should be an explanation why Harry's parents' families have completely disappeared from existence.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I think both pair of grandparents died before Harry was born. At least on his mother side, or else I think the Dursleys would have had some contact with them. Maybe Harry's fathers parents are dead, or else they don't want to, or can't get in touch with him. But I think they would have tried, if they were alive.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

About the second - I can't see how this could be... as far as I remember the Dursleys knew about Harry and his name when they were murdered, therefore it only makes sense that his grandparetns from both sides would've known. If they were alive..

I think the only logical explanation would be that they're dead, maybe from old age.. maybe were killed by Voldemort/death eaters. But even then I'd expect some kind of remnant of ther family.. that would gladly contact him. I don't know... just sounds unlikely that all of his family died.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #5
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Yeah, it's weird to think that there was never ANY relations (great uncles/aunts), 2nd cousins, shoot how about a long living pet sea turtle named Jeffery.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree that my theories have issues.

But I just can't fathom, even if they are all dead, why Lupin or someone wouldn't have told Harry about the rest of his family. Also, Harry hasn't even asked about them. Maybe he's afraid to know the worst..?

What if there's some dark family secret people don't want Harry to know? What if the Evanses are dead, or want nothing more to do with the wizarding world, and the Potters have joined forces with Voldemort or something? Nah... that last one's too far fetched.

The Harry Potter Lexicon (a highly reliable and detailed, and JKR-sanctioned HP encyclopedia) makes no mention of any grandparents (that I have found), nor does it speculate about the abscence.

Discintcly odd.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 05-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I agree- the 'dark side' in the family would start to repeat itself if she adds it to Harry's relatives.

I wonder what Rowling would say if someone asked her of his grandparents. Maybe she has thought about it already.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #8
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

If Rowling had placed Harry's grandparents into the series it would have changed alot of things. Rowling wanted Harry to be an orphan in her story for whatever reason/motif that we may not know until the end of the series or perhaps never know. However, since they aren't mentioned, I think its obvious that they were deceased when James and Lily were alive. Voldemort killed Harry's parents and so he became an orphan.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

on order of the pheonix sirius mentions staying with james and that james' parents (harry's grandparents) were very nice. . . .
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 AM   #10
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/JK...okDay2004.html

Heres a link answering that question....

Quote:
Rita: What happend to Harry's grandparents? Will we ever learn about them?
JK Rowling replies -> They're all dead and not particularly important to the story, although you will find out a little bit more.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:59 AM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Oh thanks Ragnorak. I liked your theory too.

I'm excited to "find out a little more" though.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #12
inked
Elf Lord

Excellent link, Ragnarok! Thanks!

I also note that JKR says the morality grew out of the tale naturally as the tale grew AND that the mirror Sirius gave Harry has yet to play an important role. This confirms my two major contentions on various threads.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:09 PM   #13
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

the mirror is a good point, i certainly hope it wont just die out, all the magical items harry get are cool, and im dissappointed the knife broke. . .
----------------
Old 05-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #14
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by durinsbane2244
the mirror is a good point, i certainly hope it wont just die out, all the magical items harry get are cool, and im dissappointed the knife broke. . .
Refresh my memory, what knife? For some reason, I just have a mental image of the blade of the Morgul knife disintegrating when Aragorn picked it up.
Quote:
Old 05-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #15
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I think he's talking about the knife Sirius gave Harry for Christmas, which melted in the Department of Mysteries.

About Harry's grandparents, in another interview JKR said:

Quote:
Q:What happened to Harry's grandparents?"

J.K. Rowling: Um ... various interesting things, but again, I'm not gonna share.
That sounds a bit more promising... *clutching at straws*
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #16
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes, it could open any lock, butnot the door in the department of mysteries.
----------------
Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
inked
Elf Lord

Did Deathly Hallows answer these questions more than adequately? I think so. Ignotius Peverell goes way, way back!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote