Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2004, 06:06 AM   #1
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Harry destined to die?

I found this article in the Daily Mail paper this morning:

Quote:
Harry Potter is to be killed off, the actor who plays the boy wizard predicted last night.

Daniel Radcliffe, 14, admitted his opinion would not make him popular with the series' legion of fans, but he said he thought it was the only logical conclusion.

He said he believed Harry's evil nemesis Lord Voldemort could die only if Harry died too because the characters had a bond that linked their lives together.

In JK Rowling's series of books, it was Voldemort who was responsible for the deaths of Harry's parents and left him with his distinctive scar on his forehead.

The two arch-enemies show increasingly similar traits and powers, including their use of wands and ability to speak to snakes. And despite numerous attempts, Voldemort has been unable to kill Harry.

Radcliffe said: 'I'm going to be really unpopular for saying this about Harry, but I've always had the suspicion - with everything that's going on - that he might die.

'Harry and Voldemort have the same core in them. The only way Voldemort could die is if Harry dies as well.'

Radcliffe said he would find it strange if another actor took the role. He said: 'If another actor was to play the role of Harry it would be pretty wierd but I would just have to get used to it.'

Radcliffe was speaking at a Press conference in London to launch the third film in the series, Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban.

He admitted he could be completely wrong, especially since Miss Rowling has kept Harry's fate a closely guarded secret.

However she has previously hinted that she may be tempted to kill off her best-selling creation in the seventh and final book.

Asked whether she would write about the character when he reaches adulthood, she replied: 'You have to wait and see whether he survives to be a grown-up.'

Radcliffe was joined at the Press conference by co-stars Emma Watson, 14, who plays Hermione Granger, and 15-year-old Rupert Grint, who plays Ron Weasley.

The films' producer, David Heyman, denied reports that the three young stars might not continue to appear in the movies because they would become too old. 'They can stay as long as they want,' he said. 'They are a great group of kids.'

Also at the Press conference were Gary Oldman, who plays Harry's godfather Sirius Black, and Sir Michael Gambon, who took over the role of Professor Dumbledore from the late Richard Harris.
Thoughts?
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 05-28-2004 at 06:10 AM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 07:51 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Heh! I've stated in another thread that it *should* (if I were writing the last two books) happen like this.....Harry and Voldemort will become (annoyingly ) very similar, BUT Harry will ultimately kill Voldemort, with his exclusive (and deadly to V.) weapon of "love". It's (love) worked in the past (Lilly's love, Harry's loving thoughts of Sirius in TOP) and it will be the only thing to damage Voldemort in the future. I imagine it will appear that Voldemort is winning, as he harms Harry's near and dear, causing rage and hate in Harry.....and Voldemort will feed off of this hate and grow sooooo strong, but Harry will have a young man's love for some lovely female, and this young love will well up so strongly (when V. is *in* Harry trying to kill him, as in the last bit of OTP), it will kill V. It could happen!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-28-2004 at 07:56 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nope. His reasoning behind it is good, but I have a hunch that Harry's fate will be far more interesting.

My bet's on Ron.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh no! Not Ron either! Snape, or Neville or something, maybe! Don't you think she will *consider* the children reading these books and give these stories a happy ending?
Old 05-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #5
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I think Ron will go to.

I think there might be a happy ending, but only after alot of heartwrenching material... I don't think she'll keep it that happy. She's already killed off Sirius, who was a popular character.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Mercutio

I highly doubt that Harry will die by the end of the series. Someone has to, and yes (sadly) it could be Ron. Or that could be a curveball, too, who knows?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

Daniel Radcliffe is confused. It's not that they BOTH have to either live or die, it's that one has to die and the other has to live. That's the nature of their 'bond'.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #8
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Well, I agree sort of. With Elf Girl that is. Good point...but (yes there always is one isn't there) you could take a LOTR stance on it too. Sauron + Ring equals unbeatable. But now Sauron couldn't be killed unless the ring was (so to speak) and when the ring was destroyed so was Sauron. It could work the same way with HP. Which now that I look at it, it doesn't make any sense at all...who is the ring and who is Sauron? We all agree that someone important is going to die in the last book. I don't trust what JKR says. The woman is sneaky and I think she likes to throw out little hints that can be interperted more than one way. Don't trust to your first understandnig of the little hints. That's what I say. As for the children reading the books...well, I think JKR has made it pretty clear this isn't for "children" under maybe the age of...11. And if parents don't like what happens then they shouldn't let their kids read the book. I hope she doens't let that fact influence her writing of the last book.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:46 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I still think the ending will be positive, with no major deaths...except Dumbledore or Snape. So JKR is sneaky? Good! Very good!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
...you could take a LOTR stance on it too. Sauron + Ring equals unbeatable. But now Sauron couldn't be killed unless the ring was (so to speak) and when the ring was destroyed so was Sauron. It could work the same way with HP. ...
I don't think so. See, Sauron/Ring were both evil, so they had a kind of alliance/dependence bond- they both relied on each other. But Harry is good and Voldemort is evil, so their bond is that one of them is destined to kill the other.

The person that dies in the last book is IMO obviously Dumbledore. Look at the way Harry knows if Dumbledore is there everything will be all right- the climax of the books will be when Dumbledore is not there to save him.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
Fimbrethil

Ah, but Harry's oppinion of Dumbldore changed in the last book didn't it? I see what your saying now and I agree wiht it totally Elf Girl. But I don't know about the whole DM (Dumbldore) thing. I think he'll die yes...but be the only major death in book 7...I htink not. I think he's goining to die in book 6...it'll give harry tiem to whine in book 7. Maybe that's just me though.

Old 05-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes that would be interesting, Dumbledore could die in six, and seven could be about how Harry deals with it and fufills Dumbledore's high expectations.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:43 PM   #13
Fimbrethil

Yay! I made a grood prediction!!!! Go me! Erm...sorry. Hey, Lizra are you on wiht the invisble thingy on? I can't see your little namey at the top. But another I'd like to see the mirrior do is aid Harry, Ron,and Hermione in some mischeif not Moldy Voldy related. By the way I think I'm going to nickname Voldemort that, Moldy Voldy...got a nice ring don't you think?

Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 PM   #14
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah... That's the likeliest thing (in my opinion) that will happen if Dumbledore dies.
And Moldy Voldy does have a nice ring to it. I'm on an HP site, people there call him Lord Moldy Shorts.

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:25 AM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Heh...Moldy Voldy He's worse than that!

I'm never cloaked (invisible mode) but I do flick back and forth so I'm on one minute, off again, on again....I like to jump around alot (right Rad? )

Do you mean use the mirror for plain old kid fun, like using the map to simply sneak Harry out to the wizard colony? That map is/was great, especially when it was insulting Snape! Does Harry still have it?
But anyway, how could they use the two way mirror if Siriius has the other part with him behind the veil? And that brings me to that stinking house elf of sirius's....what was his name? Grrrr, I hope he falls down a garbage disposal. And that reminds me of the whole "class revolution" that will need to take place (for Hermione's sake ) All magical creatures will need to become equal. I've always found the house elf freedom storyline a little goofy. The drunk Winky bit was funny! Ah....rambling again, where's Radagast!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #16
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I don't think that Harry will die at the end of the series. I think there may be other deaths of important and endearing characters, however. Dumbledore is certainly a possibliity (quite likely, I think) and perhaps one or two of the students, but not Ron or Hermione.

My thought is that there is some connection between Harry and Neville, since they have the same birthday. I don't think Harry will be able to defeat Voldemort alone, or even at all. He needs Neville. And Neville will probably be the one to die.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:03 PM   #17
Elf Girl
Lurker

Nah, I think we're almost certain that Neville ends up a teacher in Hogwarts.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:33 PM   #18
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Lizra - yup, you jump a lot, and in that post, where you mentioned me twice, you jump over 3 times, I think.

I don't think there's any chance that Harry will die. Rowling likes him too much to kill him. And I don't tihnk Ron or Hermione will die either... As many said, Dumbledore seems like a good possibility, if someone dies. I can't think of someone else... maybe a new character, who knows. I actually did think about Neville too, because of everything we know about him now.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #19
Fimbrethil

I'm not sure about Neville myself. But what about Mad-eye? I'm confused as to wether he'll die or not. Remus too.

Old 06-30-2004, 02:59 AM   #20
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Snape is NOT allowed to die. He's cool. And that's why. I'll just write JK Rowling and tell her that she's not allowed to kill Snape off because I think he's cool. Yeah. That'll convince her.

Anydangway, I'm pretty sure Harry's gonna die in the end. I agree with Daniel Radcliffe. Plus, it would be cool. (I know, I'm a twisted person...)

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote