Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #221
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's under way.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #222
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Looks good! GO for it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #223
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Oh that's great! I hadn't thought about Tom, but he would of course have been around even then, and to know about the approaching guests and show hospitality to them is just what he would do!

I wonder whether Elrond and the others at Rivendell know about him? Perhaps they haven't needed him yet - or perhaps they do know about him?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 AM   #224
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Or perhaps they know and have blocked the experience from their memories... all those 'ring a dong dillos.'
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #225
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Oh that's great! I hadn't thought about Tom, but he would of course have been around even then, and to know about the approaching guests and show hospitality to them is just what he would do!
Thanks! We noticed poor ol' Tom never gets any visit in RPG's or fanfiction, so we thought sending our Elves over could be interesting.

Quote:
I wonder whether Elrond and the others at Rivendell know about him? Perhaps they haven't needed him yet - or perhaps they do know about him?
In LoTR, chapter 'The Council of Elrond', Elrond mentioned having known Tom as Iarwain Benadar long ago, when the guy was still roaming the world (which I reckon was before he settled down with Goldberry.) So I take it that he was known, but it may have been a while since the Elves and Tom have met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
Or perhaps they know and have blocked the experience from their memories... all those 'ring a dong dillos.'
Hm, I reckon it's more sinister than that. I'm betting Tom secretely was a major influence of the musical evolution of the Rivendell Elves, as Bilbo likely could attest.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #226
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Hm, I reckon it's more sinister than that. I'm betting Tom secretely was a major influence of the musical evolution of the Rivendell Elves, as Bilbo likely could attest.
Ah - now THAT explains it!

Ever since I read the Silmarillion, I've always wondered why the Elves of TH would be so giggly and sing such silly songs. I was sure they couldn't be Noldor. But with the influence of Tom on their music, perhaps not only the Silvan Elves may have been afflicted ...

I guess this influence hasn't started yet, though. Perhaps our five friends are bringing it on

Old 03-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #227
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Quote:
Ever since I read the Silmarillion, I've always wondered why the Elves of TH would be so giggly and sing such silly songs. I was sure they couldn't be Noldor. But with the influence of Tom on their music, perhaps not only the Silvan Elves may have been afflicted ...
Tom or no, with High elves in Rivendell and drunken elves in Mirkwood they were all singing under the influence of something. I've always just assumed that Elrond and Thranduil are the only elves we get to see sober in TH.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 03-29-2009, 03:36 PM   #228
Varnafindë

Quote:
Tom or no, with High elves in Rivendell and drunken elves in Mirkwood they were all singing under the influence of something. I've always just assumed that Elrond and Thranduil are the only elves we get to see sober in TH.
Very likely, I agree
But I think the artistic influence is fairly obvious, now it has been pointed out to me.
There's such a similarity between the two types of silliness - there must have been the same author behind them, somewhere, somehow.

(There is, of course )

Last edited by Varnafindë : 03-29-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #229
Varnafindë

I' m having fun with Rameldir's history right now. Often I'm just using things from his history that I know already, but now I'm developing how he and Calimon met, which I didn't know anything about until today.

Willow will get it in a PM soon

Old 04-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #230
Earniel

Yeah, that's the fun part of it. Before this game Hallindel and Halweg were very little developed secondary characters, now that I'm seeing their personalities unfold as the game progresses, I think I'll expand their role in the original story too.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #231
Varnafindë

Another post from me and my beta-reader Willow!
I wasn't entirely happy with the ending of my first version - but now that she has fixed it, I am entirely happy with it

Old 04-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #232
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Glad to be of help.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 AM   #233
Earniel

I like it how neither Glorfindel or Rameldir knows entirely how to deal with Rameldir's trauma and are just trying to see how it goes.

Interesting tidbit about Calimon, might be interesting to hear the opinions of a Kinslayer, usually everyone avoids using such characters, although it'll be a while before we actually meet him.

So that's our turn again, RÃ*an. Do you want to start the next draft, or shall I?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:19 AM   #234
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I like it how neither Glorfindel or Rameldir knows entirely how to deal with Rameldir's trauma and are just trying to see how it goes.
Yes, I think that's the realistic way to do it. None of them would have had any experience. Glorfindel has at least got some theoretical ideas of what might be worth trying (based on what I've read about treating conditions like arachnophobia).

Quote:
Interesting tidbit about Calimon, might be interesting to hear the opinions of a Kinslayer, usually everyone avoids using such characters, although it'll be a while before we actually meet him.
Avoids? I didn't know that.
I decided (long ago) that I wanted to explore such a character, and it fitted well with having someone from Nargothrond as well as someone from Gondolin in my gallery of characters.

He's a repentant Kinslayer, though - not someone who defends his actions. He would be able to tell why he was defending them while he still did, though.

If you want to read more about him before we meet him, my thread in the Writers' Workshop has the link to my fanfiction.net story about him ...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #235
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Avoids? I didn't know that.
I decided (long ago) that I wanted to explore such a character, and it fitted well with having someone from Nargothrond as well as someone from Gondolin in my gallery of characters.
Maybe I should have said "In my experience, everybody seems to avoid kinslayers characters."

In the several years I've been on this RPG-forum, yours is the first I've seen.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:06 PM   #236
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Not true. My elf for wraiths and kings was a kinslayer, in fact, if she wasn't retired as a character, Calimon would have a long lost cousin... because Nerdanel's unwritten family is just that convenient.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #237
Earniel

Was she now? I had totally forgotten. I remember only her name and that she was a Noldorin smith. But I suppose I pushed a lot of things about that game from my memory.

Okay, for sake of completeness, let me amend to "In my experience, almost everybody seems to avoid kinslayers characters."
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #238
Varnafindë

Quote:
in fact, if she wasn't retired as a character, Calimon would have a long lost cousin... because Nerdanel's unwritten family is just that convenient.
Could she be brought back?
Perhaps she could be mentioned by Calimon, but make no other appearance ...
What was her name, and do you know anything of what became of her eventually?

Nerdanel's family is indeed convenient. Gives me the family connection to her sons without having to go against canon

Old 04-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #239
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
But I suppose I pushed a lot of things about that game from my memory.
Same, which is why she's not getting brought back. She's gone through enough permutations to deserve retirement anyway...

But for the sake of satisfying Varna's curiosity, the character's name was Mahtaliel and she married Sane's character and then they eventually wandered off in search of Maglor, found him and the three of them continued to wander Middle Earth as immortal beach bums until the present day. So even if I were inclined to bring her back, she's not quite canon-friendly enough for this type of game anymore.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #240
Varnafindë

I guess that Calimon would disown her and not mention her then