Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2002, 08:03 PM   #1
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Stephanie Plum

Has anyone else read this series, they're hilarious and the newest book takes the cake.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Never even heard of them... who is the author and what is the title, they sound like I might want to read them!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:45 AM   #3
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Janet Evanovich
books: One for the money, two for the dough, three to get deadly, four to score, high five, hot six, seven up, hard eight
basic story:
Stephanie got fired again
Stephanie desperately does not want to move back into parents house.
Blackmails cousin with info about sex habits to GET job
This makes her liscened bounty hunter
first person she has to catch is her ex-boyfriend GOOD
boyfriend=cop BAD
Stephanie=Hopeless bounty hunter FUNNY
stephanie has bad luck with cars (I think shes had 15 or something threw the entire series and this is with people GIVING her cars just to see what'll happen to them)
her grandmother tend to get her in trouble doing things like carrying consieled or insisting on being her sidekick
her best friend is Lola a huge black women that used to be a prostitute
Her partner/teacher is a guy so mysterious that half the burg thinks hes batman or a gun runner/drug dealer (or else they agree when Lola says so)
boss tends to give her people that everyone loves and hate her for chasing(like the guy who runs the candy store) or psycho nutsos that no one knows about (like the wrestler that liked it rough)
this all equals what the papers fondly call...The Bombshell Bountyhunter
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”

Last edited by TwirlingString : 01-04-2003 at 12:48 AM.
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #4
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

HHhhmmm... will have to make a trip to the local library sometime today... they sound.. er... very interesting.. J/K They sound really good! *shouts to MOM that we need to go to the library*

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote