Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #81
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Why do I think Mark Twain wrote the Screwtape Letters? This is a book that was blacklisted for a while - that's the only reason I bought it. Actually I thought it was boring and I didn't finish it, but maybe it's worth a revisit.

I don't pick up on a lot of Christian symbolism in Narnia, and that's the way I like it. My brain is probably blocking it on purpose because I don't tend to like heavy religious symbolism in books. (The Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead is another brilliant series steeped in Christian symbolism, but unlike Narnia, you can't "read past it".)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #82
Manveru
Elven Warrior

ya when i first read narnia i didnt see any christian symbolism (except for Aslan saying that the children were brought here to know him better in their own world), but i read them about a year or too ago and just realized how much christian symbolism there was. so i guess if youre not thinking about it you wont even notice its there (kinda like with tolkien). but ya they are still rollicking good books
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #83
inked
Elf Lord

For Narnians:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CS LEWIS!

Thanks for Narnia et alia!

a reflection (gleefully lifted from Alvin Eriol over at SF Fandom):http://www.townhall.com/columnists/...c20041129.shtml

*explicitly Christian content*

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #84
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, is it his bday?

Well, HAPPY BDAY, Jack - can't wait to meet you, and your writing has meant SO much to me! Thanks! What kind of cake is there in heaven? I bet it's yummy!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #85
Manveru
Elven Warrior

its probably Turkish Delight (whole rooms of it)
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #86
inked
Elf Lord

Here's a link to a review of a book about CS Lewis and why Roman Catholics can't fathom his failure to embrace the Roman Church:

http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/m...p?storyid=1760

Amusingly enough, Jack gets placed in Purgatory for this oversight per the author! The reviewer rather doubts that conclusion.

Highly enjoyable for the CS Lewis buff!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 PM   #87
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Wow - what a conclusion to the article - "but because—and this is putting it in the mildest terms—they will not have Leah for Rachel."

That's EXACTLY the way I feel!

Thanks for the article, inky

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #88
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Well, I am going to go all over nerdy here about the recent publications of the CoN because I came across them numbered IN PROPER CHRONOLOGICAL SEQUENCE PER NARNIAN TIME! The only proper sequence to read them in for the first time is publication order in my inestimable and not at all humble nor modest opinion! It's, it's blasphemy, that's what it is, to number them for unsuspecting gift giving adults to buy for children!!! Some poor soul will now encounter them as though they were historically accurate renditions of Narnia instead of the wonderfully kaleidescoped published sequence. Ahh, the lack of romance and adventure to encounter Aslan as in TMN rather than LWW!!!!

I hear there are persons who consider this chronological series read to be proper and the only correct way to read TCON BUT that is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG (did I mention I regard that view as erroneous?)! I adduce the very proper stage and television and BBC productions of the series as further evidence of my thesis! And the ERTV/Kraft foods animated movie, as well!
And the intended current productions!!!!!!!!! Everyone knows they should be produced as published! Egads! Has the world gone enumeration delusional?

*breathes*

Oh, the horror of it! Is it the baleful influence of the enumerated HP series casting a bewitchment of arithmancy over the whole publishing industry? DO those chaps/chappettes in the booking world think that works of fiction need be cast all in the modes of artificial history a la Tolkein? Will they next number all the extant Tolkeiniana in the same fashion from Silmarillion to HoME whatever we are at? (And a good long lifetime to 'em if they try that!)
Shall we have Charles Williams novels subjected to the iniquities of this ilk?

*breathes...again*

I dare say sequentially narrative Lord Peter Wimsey novels are published as such for they were produced as such! But this irritatingly anachronistical ephemeral fad of producing numbered TCON is simply WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! To enter Narnia unaccompanied by Mr. Tumnus on the first visit????
It is sacrilege! Do not succumb to this mania for enumeration!
Go to Narnia as published and read for nearly 6 decades, not some moddish pseudo-historicism route, I beg of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*breathes*
...and tomorrow I'll say how I REALLY FEEL about this atrocity of enumerated publication by historicists!!!!!

May I point out that CSL himself preferred that his fans read the books in chronological order!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #89
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Hey Inked, this thread is about Narnia! Christian theology has its own thread.

Are you serious about CS Lewis' preferences TF? *prepares to point and laugh at Inked in the nicest possible way*
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-02-2005, 11:47 PM   #90
inked
Elf Lord

Okay, TF, establish CSL's preferences! But, I HAVE MY PREFERENCES, TOO, YOU SEE...and it was my rant...and I am right as usual! Right, Nurv! Nurv, don't tell me that you think there is a specifically Christian thread on the board for the discussion of theology! Kindly point me that way .

Nurv, you probably think Harry Potter doesn't have Christian themes either...
in fact, I KNOW YOU DO!!!!! I read the other thread. Cultural Anglicans cannot be too careful of their reading, Nurv, it may lead to ... confirmation!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #91
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Serious

Yes, I was being serious. He answers that question (and many others) in the book Letters to Children. It's a book that is really just a collection of letters he wrote to his fans. It was very interesting, it had his response to the letter from the concerned mother mentioned earlier here. I respect your opinion inked, I just wanted to point out that the new way they are being published is not (in my opinion at least) entirely wrong.

Last edited by tolkienfan : 01-05-2005 at 09:10 PM. Reason: shifting words
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #92
inked
Elf Lord

Thanks for the info! I will attempt to locate it in Letters to Children. I hang by my opinions, still!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #93
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Okay, TF, establish CSL's preferences! But, I HAVE MY PREFERENCES, TOO, YOU SEE...and it was my rant...and I am right as usual! Right, Nurv! Nurv, don't tell me that you think there is a specifically Christian thread on the board for the discussion of theology! Kindly point me that way .

Nurv, you probably think Harry Potter doesn't have Christian themes either...
in fact, I KNOW YOU DO!!!!! I read the other thread. Cultural Anglicans cannot be too careful of their reading, Nurv, it may lead to ... confirmation!
Well, Narnia has Christian themes, but Harry Potter does not.

So, ha!

Cultural Anglicans... I like it... maybe I'll start my own denomination.

Heh heh, your rant is fair. I prefer the chronological order, though I think that reading a series in different orders might give some new understandings on the books. Don't let me forget to try publication order next time I do a reread.
Quote:
Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #94
inked
Elf Lord

Nurv, Don't forget to do PUBLICATION order next time you read TCON!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:01 AM   #95
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Has anyone here seen the film Shadowlands? What's it like?
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #96
Manveru
Elven Warrior

anyone else looking forward to the LWW movie?

http://movieweb.com/movies/film.php?2410
Old 01-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #97
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, with some fear and trepidation, I must admit. But I shall manfully try to see what happens before weighing in! The movie medium is not the written medium, a mantra I found useful for PJ's productions of LoTR, will hopefully stand me in good stead here too.

Also, LWW/TSC/PC/VDT have been made into BBC films and were well done. And in the 1970's LWW was done in animation and accurately so. It can be done! Hopefully, it will be done well!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #98
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
It's really, really good, and sad. I haven't seen it in ages, but I remember I really liked it.
Quote:
Old 01-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #99
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Shadowlands (with Anthony Hopkins) is excellent - a must-see, IMHO.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #100
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
Yes, I was being serious. He answers that question (and many others) in the book Letters to Children. It's a book that is really just a collection of letters he wrote to his fans. It was very interesting, it had his response to the letter from the concerned mother mentioned earlier here. I respect your opinion inked, I just wanted to point out that the new way they are being published is not (in my opinion at least) entirely wrong.
I recall the letter, altho I don't think he expressed a preference, but was rather saying something like "if you really want to read them in actual chronological order, it's TMN, etc."