Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2003, 08:17 AM   #1
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Gandalf's words to Denethor

From LotR, Minas Tirith (my emphasis):
Quote:
‘Well, my lord Steward, it is your task to keep some kingdom still against that event, which few now look to see. In that task you shall have all the aid that you are pleased to ask for. But I will say this: the rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor nor any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?’
This is Gandalf's words to Denethor, after the Steward has been questioning Pippin about Boromir's death.

"For I also am a steward." It is a remarkable statement. What do you think it means?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Very good thought! yes, it is cool!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Maybe the steward of peace. No, that's impossible. I have no clue.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Maybe it has something to do with Gandalf leading the fellowship and taking charge of destroying the Ring. He assumed that position himself, rightfully of course. Like a steward would do after the death of a king. Only Gandalf wasn't replacing anybody, just assuming an important ruling position.

EDIT: I hope you can figure out what I mean. I can't say it any better.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:38 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought that that's what the Istari WERE to be -- stewards of ME, helping to keep things running well there against the forces of evil in the Valar's stead.
I think when he says in the next sentence "Did you not know?" it indicates that he is revealing himself to Denethor as one of the "supernatural" beings. In the world of LotR, we don't "know" that wizards are anything more than mysterious old men with powers and a great deal of wisdom and knowledge. I think it's a way of further communicating to the reader that he is "other-worldly," as his return as Gandalf the White wold indicate.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 01:47 PM   #6
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf is one of the Maiar, and a Maiar who has become an Istari at that. I believe his claim to being a steward is that he has been sent by Eru to act as a guide to the people of Middle Earth and to help them fight the battle against Sauron. He, himself, will not rule those people or of any particular race or country, but will merely guide all Free Peoples until the Dark Lord is destroyed no matter how long that takes. Then, if anything good is left in the world, he can pass over his burden to the rulers of the people and "depart this world".
"Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded, Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so, with Pity."

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Very well,' he answered aloud, lowering his sword. 'But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #7
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

"Did you not know"

Well, Denethor was known to have been strong in the mind, in that he could read people, and possibly derive what they were thinking. Remember, he (Gandalf) warned Pippin against this. So I wonder if perhaps Gandalf was testing whether or not Denethor picked up on it. OR perhaps, he was hinting about Denethor's sessions with the Palantir. Perhaps Gandalf knew more than was stated, and was wondering why Sauron had not mentioned Gandalf's mission? Hmm...

Last edited by Sheeana : 06-06-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
Curufinwe
Enting

Gandalf, Olorin, is the steward of Manwe, regent of Eru. Olorin is steward of Middle-Earth, standing in for Manwe who is far removed. He is Manwe's choice in the debate of the Valar which can be read in unfinished tales, to go to Middle-Earth.
Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 PM   #9
Artanis

All right, maybe my problem is about semantics. In UT, the Istari is said to be emissaries, or messengers, which I believed had another meaning than Stewards. I'm thinking of a Steward as a ruler, or a leader.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:45 PM   #10
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hmm, well although I'm sure it's clear to everyone, I'll restate his words to demonstrate why I think that's what he means.
Gandalf in the first sentence sums up what Denethor's task is as Steward of Gondor: it is his duty to do what he can to lead Gondor in its defense against the Dark Lord. When he makes the comparison of himself to Denethor, calling himself a steward, he is basically saying "It is my duty to do what I can to lead ME in its defense against the Dark Lord," or, "My duty is the same as yours, but on a larger scale." He's using the term "steward" here to illustrate his point. ("Worthy things" are worth the hard work, even if we can't have complete control/ possession of them.)
The two sentences, "But I will say this...those are my care," he is giving Denethor a subtle, or not so subtle message: you must accept that you are not the ruler of Gondor (that is, the king), but you still have a responsibility to Gondor. Gondor is the "worthy thing" in his care, although he cannot truly call himself its ruler. Also Gandalf seems to be including, again subtlely, that he is not trying to usurp Denethor's position, nor is he trying to somehow gain rulership of Gondor, something we know Denethor ends up accusing him of. AND he seems to even hint that the time to lay aside his supreme leadership role will be coming soon.
The sentences you have in bold are his way of saying that even if Denethor should fail in meeting his responsibility, a) all will not be lost even then for ME, so don't despair, and b) Gandalf's task will not be over just because Gondor falls.(I had more to say about that, but I forgot what I was going to say). Maybe he's trying to challenge him not to fail in his task through a lack of trying, and also to prod him into helping Gandalf in his own task by doing so.
It's quite a brilliant passage when you analyze it, isn't it?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Indeed it is. Tolkien was an absolute genius (as if you all don't already know that )

Gandalf was one of a very small group of otherworldly beings, with knowledge beyond our sphere of existence, and I think he is trying to point this out to Denethor. I agree that it was a way of showing Denethor his true nature, and also a way maybe of saying "Don't mess with me".

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
Artanis

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
It's quite a brilliant passage when you analyze it, isn't it?
Sure, and you analyze it very well.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:58 PM   #13
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Sure, and you analyze it very well.
Right. Thanks, azalea.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 03:21 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter