Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 12:27 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Maybe an Intermission was needed?

Do you fellow entmooters think that perhaps Mr. Jackson could have made the film a bit longer and included more had he made use of an intermission? I know it has been quite a while since a film has been released with an entracte, is it now considered a filmmaking anachronism?

For me, I think an intermission would have been quite helpful. Especially when I saw the film at a theatre which was serving beer!!!

Plus, the film may have been a bit long for some audience members, and this may also have been alleviated by use of an intermission.

In my humble Entingish opinion...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:50 PM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Considering the movie is made for consumption by all rather than just LOTR fans, I think it was ok. An intermission might have turned away people who really didn't have a good grasp of all that takes place in Tolkiens works.
Old 01-03-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Actually, my cinema inserted an intermission before the scene at the Door of Moria.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:15 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Really, CBG? I find that really offensive, actually. For the filmmaker to put in an intermission is a call of artistic license. For a theater to arbitrarily put in an intermission in a complete film smacks of destroying the pacing of a film.

At least it does to this Elvish Warrior...others may feel differently.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:30 AM   #5
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

We're currently in the middle of a year-long intermission, and the first of two, at that.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:50 AM   #6
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I certainly would have liked to see the cut 45 minutes included, with an intermission two hours in. That would have been great.