Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2002, 10:20 PM   #1
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
In Need of A Little Comfort/Reassurance

Today something incredibly scary happened in my World History class (at least, it was scary to me).

Somehow we got to talking about the singer Elton John (don't ask, we always go off subject) and suddenly, a boy in my class decided to pipe up "I think any man that likes kissing other men should be shot." He wasn't joking, he was completely serious. Not only does this shake me up, but I know for a fact this boy is a very angry and violent person. He began a fist fight with me in sixth grade over me touching his trombone and telling him to stop degrading me. (So, it basically went from a bit of verbal bashing to physical bashing)

He also gets teased a lot himself, so I'm afraid he might go off someday. I'm probably being paranoid, but it really shook me up.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Why did you touch his trombone?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:26 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Because he was waving it in my face (I was on the floor, he was standing up) and kind of trying to hit me with it.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

why were you on the floor? what kind of room? (i need this details to develop a full picture)

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 10:37 PM   #5
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Band room, I was putting away my alto saxaphone, so I was crouched on the floor. We had a small band room in junior high, it was pretty cramped. This isn't actually all that important, just pointing out I know he's not exactly a passive person.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:46 PM   #6
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Scary, Starr. I think that would shake me up too!

Although I am a Christian and believe that homosexuality is wrong, I certainly don't think that all gays should be shot. God will deal with them however He chooses on judgement day.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 11:43 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Chooses not to reply to Galadriel88's comment on judgement of homosexuals*

Starr, this guy sounds like someone who could possibly be a "bomb in the making". If, and I do feel that your feelings could be validated, you feel that this guy is a potential menace to society, then you should report him. Get it on record, that this boy is problematic, and violent. Make sure your teacher knows, your principal, maybe the guidance coucellor. Just make sure that somebody knows, without splashing it to the whole world.

It is unfortunate, but there are people out there, who are sick, and not getting the treatment they need. One boy at my school was problematic as well, and nobody reported him. One day he got expelled for scraping a junior's head down a brick wall (the rough type). Two years later, he killed his flatmate with an axe. This could have been avoided. It turned out that he was a paranoid schizophrenic.

So, to reiterate, if you feel that he has a problem, then report it to your teacher. Don't blab to the whole world, just have a talk to somebody that can provide confidentiality, and maybe the guidance that this boy needs.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-09-2002 at 11:45 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 11:46 PM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Well, he did say this loudly in my class, directly to my teacher. (No, my teacher is not gay). The class proceeded to heartily disagree with him, and start saying things like "That's as bad as saying you should shoot everyone who likes chocolate, or who has blue eyes"...Then the kid said "Well, I'm not one to judge." I just don't know.

And just for the record, I am a Christian who completely accepts gays, Christian or otherwise.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:51 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
And just for the record, I am a Christian who completely accepts gays, Christian or otherwise.
That is immaterial to this thread. Your concern is not that he is a gay-basher, but that he could be a potential threat to you, and your associates. If you geniunely feel this way about him, then please, report him. It could prevent a terrible tragedy.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:57 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I just wanted to make that clear, but yes, you are right.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:40 AM   #11
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Whoa . . .
If I were you, Starr, I'd do like BoP says, if he really gets to you. If it is possible for him to become a major threat to others, you'll be doing the world no good by letting it go unnoticed.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:37 AM   #12
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Go ahead and talk to your teacher about your feelings. Gut instincts can be pretty accurate. Anyway, how would you feel if he went off one day, and you hadn't said anything? Pretty rotten, to put it mildly.

Teachers can't always catch stuff like this, but if you talk w/ them, they'll probably watch him a little more closely, check on his family life, talk w/ his parents...etc.

Yeah, if he scares you, don't brush it off as paranoia. Talk to you teacher.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:45 AM   #13
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

You really do need to tell someone. Not a teacher, but an administrator. That is not a good thing for someone to feel that way. Even if he was joking, that is B-A-D bad!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:16 AM   #14
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

I agree. At my primary schoolt there was this guy who was always really violent and aggresive towards other people. He threw a chair threw the classroom window in one of his mad rages and threw the fire extingusher at the teacher. He was taken away to get help, then ran away.

I see him around sometimes and he hasn't been in school for years, all he does is hang out at the stations etc to cause trouble and beat people up.

Tell some one.

BTW, to be completely irrelevent, i really like your avatar Emplynx! It is quite fitting with my sig!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:46 AM   #15
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I would definetly talk it over with the teacher he said it in front of. She/He may not know his other behavior and stuff and may just think it was a verbal comment and meant nothing.

He may just be all talk - but I'd talk to her to get your teacher's feelings about it and tell them what you're concerned about. The guy seems a little disturbed. Of course it's hard to make a judgement on someone when you only have one side of the story. I'm not saying that I don't believe you - it's just that there are always two sides. Without knowing him or talking to him - it's impossible to pass judgement on someone.

Did you talk to other students in the class afterward? What were their reactions?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-10-2002 at 11:43 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 07:09 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

I agree, if he bothers you, get help immediatly. He would scare me too. *decides not to respond to Galad88's comment so that she can maintain a friendship*
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 08:22 PM   #17
Arian
Elven Warrior

Well the best way is avoide him. Trust me I do it. Well yeah it would be scary. Hope you work problems out. Tell someone if it's becomes too serious. And who's Elton John??
Old 04-12-2002, 11:37 PM   #18
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

No offense, but you don't know who Elton John is? Okay, well, he's a singer. he's been singing since the 70's or something. And he's gay. 'Nuff said.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 02:53 PM   #19
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

According to my World History teacher, he's bi, actually .

Thank you for the advice and the comfort. I have discussed this issue with my parents.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #20
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by Arian
Well the best way is avoide him. Trust me I do it. Well yeah it would be scary. Hope you work problems out. Tell someone if it's becomes too serious. And who's Elton John??
Ever heard "Candle in the Wind" or "If I Could Change the World"? Elton John's a darn good musician/piano player. I only wish I had a CD or two of his!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote