Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Mercutio

Biographical/narrative writing samples

In my high-school English class, we are making a "Senior Memory Book." It consists of 12 (?) chapters about different times in our life, major events, etc. We turn in a chapter every week or so to our teacher for a grade. Eventually all the chapters will go in a scrapbook with pictures, articles, drawings, etc. It's supposed to chronicle our life up to now (little things we remember growing up/heard from other people about us) -- if we don't write about most of this stuff now we will forget it. And if the memory chronicling isn't required, it wouldn't happen .

So... I decided I might as well share the chapter I just wrote on 1st-3rd grade (early elementary). You can comment if you'd like, but I don't expect you to. Just enjoy

Names/Places have been changed. I happen to be next to a Massachusetts map, so enjoy the MA locales.

Eclectic Elementary Eccentricities

My elementary school life began at Rutland Christian School, that is, the “North Branch” of RCS. Until the consolidation of the entire school in nearby Westford, Massachusetts, there was a rivalry between those students from North Branch (at a church in Rutland) and those from Acton Branch (at a church in Acton). Now, there was nothing to be rivals over, but I still remember hearing about those other kids at Acton. They included my now good friends Paul Evans and Jessica Smith.

As long as I went to the North Branch, I had to take the bus. I cannot remember any particular reason why, but I hated the bus. The kids were not cruel to me, I was not scared or lonely (my sixth-grade brother was even with me in first grade), and I liked school at the other end, but I absolutely loathed getting the bus each morning.

The only other bus-related fact I remember is Wawa. We passed a Wawa convience store on the corner of Rowley Pike and Castle Avenue, a few blocks from the school. It was the only Wawa my seven-year-old mind knew of, and for many years was soley connected to the bus. Wawa = school bus = dreadfullness. Needless to say, I was apprehensive of Wawas for years to come. Only now do I fully appreciate them, especially their chicken-caesar wraps and peach iced tea.

My first major athletic feat was accomplished in first grade, also at the North Branch. Unintentionally, I completed a flawless series of somersaults down a half-flight (about eight steps) of hard concrete stairs. From my first precise forward plunge, through each circular tumble, to my final landing, everything was executed perfectly. I did not win the Olympic gold, but rather received a bruise on my head and the rest of the day off from school. The highlight of that day was being able to go home early, and it more than compensated for the gold medal I never got.

During my third-grade year there was a building project. This was no ordinary project, though. RCS was erecting a new elementary school. And so, in fourth grade I eagerly rode in my parents’ car (no bus anymore!) to begin the second stage of elementary school in Westford, Massachusetts.

^The last paragraph is to lead into the next chapter -- 4th through 6th grade.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote