Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Roverandom

This has nothing to do with Middle-Earth, but this is still the best forum for it - and there's no thread on it, either.

I finally managed to get a copy of Roverandom, J.R.R. Tolkien's "lost" children's book written circa 1927, and never published until 1998.

Who here's read it? What did you think?

Myself, I haven't touched it yet, but I'm really glad to have found more Tolkien prose that is in the vein of LOTR Book I and The Hobbit.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have Roverandom and I've read it. I found it quite charming, it's the kind of tale I would have loved listening to when I was younger. It can be endearing and funny and has IMO a couple of very original events.

Azalea had a very interesting post about Roverandom in this thread. But I suppose it's best to read the book for yourself first since it has a few spoilers.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I have Roverandom and I've read it. I found it quite charming, it's the kind of tale I would have loved listening to when I was younger. It can be endearing and funny and has IMO a couple of very original events.
I agree completely.

It was funny, for a children's tale, and once again shows Tolkien's geat imagination.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
azalea
Long lost mooter

Thanks for linking to my post, Earniel (that way I didn't have to do it. ) But, yes, when you finish read that, and respond to what I wrote if you want. I'd love to hear what others think; I happened to love it!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've read Roverandom. I don't believe it's as addictive as the LOTR or the Hobbit, but pushing those great books from your mind, it stands well on its own. Roveradom's trips to the sea and moon are full of rich detail, and the wizards are crafty and witty and wise -- reminds you of somebody in another book... Even though it's a children's book, Tolkien uses difficult words occassionally, although Tolkien himself said children learn new words by reading ones they don't know. So Roverandom -- like the Hobbit -- is for all ages. I like how Tolkien told the story to his son to comfort him after he lost his toy dog at the beach. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
Old 10-21-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Yes. It's a good, quick read. I've read the Hobbit aloud to a fourth grade class (with students sharing reading parts) and another year 3 1/2 of the Narnia books. Roverandom might be good for a primary grade audience (K-3).

As is noted in the introduction to Roverandom, there are some interesting "connections" to Middle-earth mytholgy, including this bit where a giant whale is taking two (literal) sea-dogs on a long sea exploration:
Quote:
...they passed the Shadowy Seas and reached the great Bay of Fairyland (as we call it) beyond the Magic Isles; and saw far off in the last West the Mountains of Elvenhome and the light of Fairie upon the waves. Roverandom thought he caught a glimpse of the city of the Elves on the green hill beneath the Mountains, a glint of white far away; but Uin [the whale] dived again so suddenly that he could not be sure. If he was right, he is one of the very few creatures, on two legs or four, who can walk about our own lands and say they glimpsed that other land, however far away.
'I should catch it, if this was found out!' said Uin. 'No one from the Outer Lands is supposed ever to come here; and few ever do now. Mum's the word!' "
p. 73-74.

and

Quote:
"...magicians and wizards are few and far between, and they know one another very well, and keep an eye on one another's doings too, not always being the best of friends in private life."
p. 11, Houghton Mifflin Co., 1988, paperback edition.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 10-22-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:14 AM   #7
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I love roverandom. Very funny and light. perfect to read while waiting on someone to get out of the bathroom at a bus station.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:24 AM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
I love roverandom. Very funny and light. perfect to read while waiting on someone to get out of the bathroom at a bus station.
... or while waiting in line for The Return of the King.

I finally read it and enjoyed it quite a lot. It's so hard to find children's literature like what Tolkien writes: surrealistic in imagination, yet imbued with that distinctively more conservative country-English mode of prose that the Professor does best.

More thoughts to come at some point.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote