Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #1
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

The Smith of Wooton Major, and Middle Earth

I'm not sure exactly where this belongs, because The Smith of Wooton Major isn't specifically set in Middle Earth.

My question is, ever since I first read The Smith of Wooton Major, I've wondered how the elves and the realm of faery in the story relate to Tolkien's work on Middle Earth.
I'm wondering if the whole story maybe takes place in ME, or if "Faery" is ME, or if none of it is. I guess this is a pointless question, but I'm truly curious to know other people's take on it.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I believe it was simply meant to be a sort of 'stand alone bed-time story'.

Just by reading it, I personally don't think it had anything to do with Middle Earth. Middle Earth was a bit more gritty and dark, while even at its 'worst' this story was very light hearted and sweet.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
inked
Elf Lord

Yes, it is in the Tolkien corpus, but it is separate. Rather like Leaf by Niggle.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
Embladyne

Okay, sounds good to me. But, after reading about ME, reading about elves in another work of Tolkien always evokes the elves of ME. What I'm wondering is if Tolkien saw the elves in The Smith of Wooton Major as refering to the elves of ME, or if the land of "Feary" was just a good place to vacation in.

My DA page
Old 01-14-2005, 01:34 AM   #5
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Ah, but if you'll remember it wasn't always a pleasant place.

I believe there was something said about how the elvish warships were 'terrible to look upon', and that the elvish warriors themselves frightened him so much that the smith threw himself on the ground.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:34 AM   #6
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Yes, it is in the Tolkien corpus, but it is separate. Rather like Leaf by Niggle.
Ah, yes, but Leaf by Niggle has a more overt social commentary than I see in Smith of WM, and is very definitely a distinctly different place. I just am wondering how to intepret the prescence of "Faery" in the story. I haven't decided yet.
edit: Okay, this is not worded very well. I should sleep, and take a look again when I wake up later.

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 01-14-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:36 AM   #7
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Ah, but if you'll remember it wasn't always a pleasant place.

I believe there was something said about how the elvish warships were 'terrible to look upon', and that the elvish warriors themselves frightened him so much that the smith threw himself on the ground.
Mmm...apologies...I meant good as in convenient.
Yeah, it was the elvish warriors that particularly make me think of ME. But that's prolly from reading too much of the Silm and HOME.

My DA page
Old 01-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I haven't read much of the Sil, LT, or HoM to know, but from what little I do know, I'm pretty sure Tolkien didn't mean to make any connections between those stories.

Now on the other hand, many writers have little 'quirks' that they like to throw in. Tolkien probably disliked the idea of 'short' elves, so his are always tall, beautiful, and powerful, even if the power is subtler.

I also have a feeling that Tolkien didn't delve too deeply into the whole fairy thing. For instance when he bestows magical powers on something, he's always very vague and generalized about it. The flip side would be a writer like Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time), or perhaps simply the people who write the Dungeons and Dragons games.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #9
Embladyne

Not really a question anymore

Some of the comments have already kinda answered this, but I think after re-reading what I wrote, and my inabilaty to write the question I really wanted last night, this is closer to what I had in mind:

Firstly, I realize that SWM is not set in ME, and it is a story separate from the ME writings, like quite a few other works of Tolkien.

However, what I was most wondering about is if the elves of Faery in this story are similar in some ways to the elves of ME because that's just how Tolkien saw elves? Or, if he didn't mind the reader seeing the similarities because it helped to make Faery a more substantial place than the events that the Smith experienced there, by helping the reader to imagine a longer and more tangled history to Faery than the ridiculous ideas that Nokes has about minute girls with wings. (Basically, the reader refers to Tolkien's ideas of elves rather than more mainstream ideas of elves) It's difficult, I would say impossible mostly, to isolate a literary work from everything else, so I'm assuming that when we see elves in one of Tolkien's stories he'd rather have the reader say "Oh, like the cool ones in ME!" instead of "another fairy?'

It's kinda strange in that in the end of SWM, the realm of Faery actually seems more real than the world Wooton Major and Minor exist in...

Anyway, just my thoughts. Like I said before, it's not an important question, just something that for some reason interests me. And I got very repetative.

My DA page
Old 01-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Errrr... Middle Earth is the current planet you are living on right now. Tolkein pretty much stated that.

Faery is faery. The realm is, I doubt, very far removed from faery in Middle Earth. I would say, however, that Wooton Major lies closer to the boundries of faery than to middle earth...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

faery = early concept for aman

in hobbit, it is stated that at rivendell dwelt many of the elves who had not returned to faery, or summat like that IIRC
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #12
Embladyne

Yeah, reading the LT in depth is really putting The Smith into context for me now. Eriol shares some features with him...and the way the stories play out is also a similar writing style. I think as I read more of the HOME series I'll find the answers to more of my questions....and more questions as well.
If anyone wants to talk about The Smith, though, I would love to!

My DA page
Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I think Smith is fascinating ... some quite unexpected ideas ...

Tolkien had an interesting view of it - from letter 299 -
"An old man's book, already weighted with the presage of 'bereavement'. "

Did you see that at all?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
Embladyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
I think Smith is fascinating ... some quite unexpected ideas ...

Tolkien had an interesting view of it - from letter 299 -
"An old man's book, already weighted with the presage of 'bereavement'. "

Did you see that at all?
No, I haven't yet seen that. I've only read the intro to the Letters...Ellie wont let me borrow it, so I was reading it while visiting her. And I spend most of that time talking to her, or doing other stuff, so it'll be slow going. Actually, I'm going to get my own copy, and then we were going to talk about the letters as we read them together, because we thought that would be a good way to keep ourselves motivated to get through them. In case they seemed to get tedious. (She hasn't read them either...they just sit on her bookshelf, or her desk, or her floor, where I found them last.... )

My DA page
Old 02-23-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
Blackheart
Elf Lord

The story is about finding something precious, and losing it. However what makes it bearable is passing it on to someone else...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The story is about finding something precious, and losing it. However what makes it bearable is passing it on to someone else...
Sounds a lot like LotR in some ways.

When was SoWM written? Before or after LotR?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I think I have read it. It's very short isn't it? But I always mix up that one with another, which has almost the same name. Don't remember now. I think I need to find it, and read it, before I say something.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:18 AM   #18
Embladyne

I'm not sure when it was written. I think I need to read the Letters, as Rian suggests. I know that it was published after LOTR, and often in combination with Farmer Giles of Ham.

I think it's more than about losing something precious, because in that losing, there is still something that is not and can not be lost, because it has become part of you.

My DA page
Old 02-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #19
Blackheart
Elf Lord

What? No it's about bunnies! Fluffy bunnies with fairy wings. On top of large white cakes. With fangs.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:37 PM   #20
Embladyne

You mean...faery bunnie queens with sparkly wings on white sugar cakes...and swallowing stars with sharp pointy points.....that could cause you to choke and die!

My DA page