Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Life of J.R.R. Tolkien and his Other Works
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-28-2006, 05:20 PM   #61
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

eh up, it's the masked questioner!

welcome!

i'd be interested to know if there is a gender bias on favourite characters, and on the role of Eowyn...

ideally with a generation breakdown from different generations of readers

best, BB (and goodluck!)
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #62
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor
(By the way, have you taken the survey? The blog link is Surveying Middle-earth)
I have not yet, but I intend to as soon as I have some time. There is no dead line to it, is there?
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM   #63
Surveyor
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I have not yet, but I intend to as soon as I have some time. There is no dead line to it, is there?
No, there's no deadline. Well, depending upon how many responses I get, maybe in a year. It's been slow so far. Thanks.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:11 PM   #64
Surveyor
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
eh up, it's the masked questioner!

welcome!

i'd be interested to know if there is a gender bias on favourite characters, and on the role of Eowyn...

ideally with a generation breakdown from different generations of readers

best, BB (and goodluck!)
BB,

Thanks for the welcome.

It's going to take a while before I can group the answers, and longer until I can start writing about them. I have had a little over 50 responses in three weeks, so things are pretty slow.

It's not really a statistical survey where I breakdown how many people prefer one character to another and what their genders are, etc. I'm more interested in reflective answers, if that makes any sense.

Thanks.

S
Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #65
Surveyor
Hobbit

Gettin' creative

Has anyone here been inspired to start writing or otherwise creating art because of Tolkien? I've been getting a lot of responses to the survey by people who've said as much. I think that's pretty cool.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #66
Earniel

More or less. While it took years before I drew anything remotely Tolkien, reading LoTR is largely responsible for getting me to continue drawing after finishing saturday art school. I now have a few Silmarillion pieces.

And now that you mention writing, my first finished piece was an -admittedly very bad- LoTR fanfic, before I started on original short stories.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 AM   #67
Surveyor
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
More or less. While it took years before I drew anything remotely Tolkien, reading LoTR is largely responsible for getting me to continue drawing after finishing saturday art school. I now have a few Silmarillion pieces.

And now that you mention writing, my first finished piece was an -admittedly very bad- LoTR fanfic, before I started on original short stories.
You ought to post your drawings here (can we do that? ). I'd like to see them.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #68
Earniel

They're not that great compared to other artists out there, mind you. I had entered two of my first in the art contest the TolkienTrail held years ago. It takes a bit of searching to find them as they weren't added to the general fan art section. You can find them here, the Entwife and the Uinen in the wave are mine.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 PM   #69
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

1) Female

2) Bangladesh

3) Bangla, English, Hindi

4) HOB, LOTR, SIL... also Farmer Giles of Ham.

5) FRM, TTM, RTKM

6) None

7) LotR

8) English

9) Books

10) LotR, probably because its the first I read; also of the three I read, the most exciting one, and the most detailed. I really dont dislike any of them, although I prefer the Silmarilion to the Hobbit.

11) TTM - Its my favourite part of LotR, full of hope, and not too close to the ending; also I really loved the helm's Deep battle.

13) Likes - Oh dear, its hard to put it into words; esp as the three books I read were quite different from each other. Middle-earth itself I liked because of the feeling of history everywhere; everything had a story with it, there were no boundaries. Hobbit was the most light-hearted, and I really loved the
characters. Sil was not cheerful, but on the other hand, it was grand... rather like the night sky. LotR was the best story. And... twenty pages more of things I liked. I'm a fan, all right. Oh, I like how most of the participants are middle-aged or old... a 57 year old Frodo is much more likeable, somehow, than a 20 year old.

Dislikes - Same as BB. Also, very diappointed that we never see Sauron, or any of the really evil doers face-to-face (well, except Saruman). Sauron is shockingly underdeveloped as a character, more so than Morgoth.

14) Well, its one of the reasons I'm writing my own book; I found entmoot through it, and new friends and new hobbies; that was great.
They also represent the perfect antidotes to boring days...

Yes, I give you permission to quote me. Although its your wish whether you want to do so or not, getting credit as Serenoli seems pointless...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #70
Surveyor
Hobbit

There's been no activity in this thread for 3 1/2 months, so this is probably the final message.

I'm still conducting a survey of Tolkien fans, but now I have a web site. Please visit Surveying Middle-earth if you want to check it out.

No more cut-and-paste like here in the thread or on my blog. It's totally state-of-the-art.

Thanks to everyone who's already taken the survey and to everyone who's going to take the survey.

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #71
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Tom Bombadil

Hey, I took the survey. Great setup! Works well and you don't ask for to much personal info. (I'm not into that, It took me 2 years to decide to give Entmoot a try because you had to give your e-mail adress.)
random note:have you ever tried to scoop ice cream with the back of a spoon?
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #72
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

Sorry if this one is not active any more. I did not read the last post until I had already submitted.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #73
Surveyor
Hobbit

Dragonrider: I got your survey response, which I really appreciated.

Are you interested in answering more questions? Your post here implies you wouldn't want any e-mail. Just let me know. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #74
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Sorry, but I don't really want any e-mail. I would be willing to answer questions thru Entmoot though, if that is alright. sorry I didn't respond sooner, I haven't been on Entmoot in a while.
Thanks